By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple vs Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. If it fully entered the battle ground..

Apple vs Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. If it fully entered the battle ground..

Yes, they will fall to the death! 46 27.88%

No, have you gone insane? 41 24.85%

I don't know (noob) 15 9.09%

Shut up! I just hate Apple with a passion! 63 38.18%

Total:165

Apple has proved to be a formidable company with around 50 million (kind of hard to find accurate numbers online) iPhone OS devices out to consumers in just under three years. The DS range (including the DSi, DSi XL) has sold 143 million devices since 2004. While the DS still pulls ahead it is to mention that the battle is closer with that of the PSP. The PSP has sold 64.4 devices since launch.

IPod sales have exceeded the 220 million mark. 4 million iPads have been sold already, and ~12 million should be sold this year.

Apple products are not cheap to say the least and it is an astonishing feat. If Apple were to fully become engage in this battle between hardware consoles and handhelds could we possibly see a storm brewing? A Nintendo vs Apple handheld battle could be fun to track here on VgChartz.

What Apple would need to be sucessful:

• Games, partnership with publishers

• Campaign/Ads (doesn't really need one since the media worships Apple)

• I think that's it (you do the rest)

In the hardware space Apple would need to offer something innovative to be near sucessful. It has consumer appeal and Apple has now become a household name. Though stepping in the hardware space will prove to be difficult. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have become established brands, and I don't know if the market could handle another. The big 3 also have established franchises which will prove to be supreme. Even if Apple were to come in, it would have a hard time establishing itself. Afterall games sell consoles.

The handheld market is a unique one. Apple would have a good shot at being a serious competitor to both Nintendo and Sony.

I am not a Apple fan by any means. Apple is exteremly hyped especially with the media. The media actually advertises their whole products. If I wanted a MP3 player I could easily buy a cheap one about 50% off the expensive iPod. I don't see any point in the iPad except for the fact that it's hyped.

So your thoughts?

Around the Network

A little biased, no? Anyway, I see no way this could happen.

If Nintendo had the slightest intention of battling Apple in the future, Iwata would not admit owning and enjoying an iPod, :P. I don't think Nintendo's quite so humble as to actually praise those who they see as potential competition.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:

If Nintendo had the slightest intention of battling Apple in the future, Iwata would not admit owning and enjoying an iPod, :P. I don't think Nintendo's quite so humble as to actually praise those who they see as potential competition.

But but but, Nintendo's boss Satoru Iwata said that Nintendo should treat Apple as "the enemy of the future."

dany612 said:
Immortal said:

But but but, Nintendo's boss Satoru Iwata said that Nintendo should treat Apple as "the enemy of the future."

You didn't take that seriously, did you? It was some idiotic journalist looking for hits and spreading it like a virus through the internet.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Bah, Apple is not a gaming company, they would never pose a threat to established games co....

wait a minute.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I don't see Apple entering the video game market.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Immortal said:
dany612 said:
Immortal said:

You didn't take that seriously, did you? It was some idiotic journalist looking for hits and spreading it like a virus through the internet.

It was already confirmed that it was false. Heck there wasn't even a single quote of that. I don't believe the "we heard him saying..." bullshit.

Beuli2 said:

I don't see Apple entering the video game market.

But what if it did? Thats the whole point of this. Now B E L I E V E!

RolStoppable said:

If games are meals, than Apple's games aren't even a mouthful.

Isn't it "If games were meals", since it is a supposition?

I don't think Apple ever predicted the iOS will be so successful with games. Although I have a iPod touch and a iPad, I believe they are not entirely in competition with the DS. They work for me because I don't have much time for gaming when traveling. The games provide some time filler in the airport or the hotel at night and they are well supplemented by a good e-reader, web browsing, comic book viewer experience. However, there aren't many longer and/or deeper games available. If I want to play a really engrossing RPG or a playable shooter, I would have to rely in the DS. Also, the iPod touch is kind of expensive and fragile for kids. I am selling my DS but I am sure I will miss some of the better games. However, I have to deal with the fact I don't have time available to play them and I will better served with my two iOs devices most of the time.