By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple vs Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. If it fully entered the battle ground..

Apple vs Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. If it fully entered the battle ground..

Yes, they will fall to the death! 46 27.88%

No, have you gone insane? 41 24.85%

I don't know (noob) 15 9.09%

Shut up! I just hate Apple with a passion! 63 38.18%

Total:165
homer said:
Biddles said:

If Apple enter the industry Sony will become like Sega.

I somewhat agree. Apple could push any of the big 3 out. They could capture the casual fanbase that Nintendo has, or if they wanted to, get exclusivity for games by major 3rd party developers, stealing the Playstation and Xbox crowd.

Easily, theres just no way there would be enough room on the market for the four. Theres barely enough room for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, if Nintendo wasnt a different type of console one would have given out.

But out the three Sony is the one thatd be most likely be kicked out. Nintendo has been around from the mid 80's theyve already had their struggle and still came out on top, they own the handheld market so they wont go anywhere.

And Sony dominated with the PS1 and PS2 the original Xbox didnt sell a 5th what the PS2 did and come next gen the Xbox 360 is in front of the PS3 in Hardware and in front by a lot on Software. Its got US and UK the two biggest markets on their side now, by the time a Xbox 3 and a PS4 come out its not unlikely countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc will move on over to Xbox aswell.

PS3 doesnt have that many big exclusives anymore, GT i guess but you can get Forza anyhow, theres Uncharted, God of War, Little Big Planet that sell decently but they arnt Halo or Gears of War. The PS3 has lost GTA, Final Fantasy Resident Evil, Tekken, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and a bunch of others to Xbox now.

Around the Network
Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

I somewhat agree. Apple could push any of the big 3 out. They could capture the casual fanbase that Nintendo has, or if they wanted to, get exclusivity for games by major 3rd party developers, stealing the Playstation and Xbox crowd.

Easily, theres just no way there would be enough room on the market for the four. Theres barely enough room for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, if Nintendo wasnt a different type of console one would have given out.

But out the three Sony is the one thatd be most likely be kicked out. Nintendo has been around from the mid 80's theyve already had their struggle and still came out on top, they own the handheld market so they wont go anywhere.

And Sony dominated with the PS1 and PS2 the original Xbox didnt sell a 5th what the PS2 did and come next gen the Xbox 360 is in front of the PS3 in Hardware and in front by a lot on Software. Its got US and UK the two biggest markets on their side now, by the time a Xbox 3 and a PS4 come out its not unlikely countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc will move on over to Xbox aswell.

PS3 doesnt have that many big exclusives anymore, GT i guess but you can get Forza anyhow, theres Uncharted, God of War, Little Big Planet that sell decently but they arnt Halo or Gears of War. The PS3 has lost GTA, Final Fantasy Resident Evil, Tekken, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and a bunch of others to Xbox now.

I agree that it appears as if the ps3 does not have as many exclusives as last gen, but the 360 has even fewer. Sony still has a stronghold in many places around the world giving them an advantage over the xbox, where, if they lose the Americas, they will get destroyed. So if sony still can maintain control in other developing regions, they will have a huge advantage over the Xbox brand after the eventual demise of the USA. Nintendo has shown Sony who is boss in the handheld market, but the psp has still been a major success considering Nintendo has been largely unoppossed in this market. Nintendo cannot be king of the handheld market forever.Regardless, very few people will buy the next xbox for solely Halo and Gears, so if you can garner extreme support from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc., you could easily steal the Xbox fanbase, and even the Playstation. The reason why I believe Sony would outlive the Xbox brand if this occurred, is because they have more ips and 1st party devs, which is something that could bite Microsoft in the butt, and something they need to rectify asap. Nintendo is the only one I believe will be able to stand with little to no 3rd party support.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

nanarchy said:
justinian said:
nanarchy said:

how soon people forget. Apple Pippen. Apple have tried this market and crashed and burned once already. For every product that they have that is a success they have a heap more that have been dismal failures like the pippen.

Yep. Pippen and Newton etc.,

Anyhow, don't compare Apple without Steve Jobs and Apple with Steve Jobs (since his return).

Since his return it has been a totally different company, from one that was struggling to one that is worth more than most and he played a major part of where it is today.

Even his "failure" that was Apple TV is now taking off in sales.

Any gaming enterprise will surely be his decision.

ROKR, Puck Mouse, anniversary edition Mac are all post his return.

First of all, don't take me for a member of the Steve Jobs fanclub - although I respect his accomplishments.

The anniversary Mac was released in May 1997 and was Gilmore's project...he was probably sacked partly because of it.

Steve Jobs became CEO of Apple in July or August 1997 and quickly canned it.

ROKR (which is Motorola built BTW) only had an  itunes player. I wouldn't exactly call it an Apple product. Idon't recall seeing the Apple logo on it and I have used one. It was launched in 2005 (I think) when Apple and Jobs were already focusing on their own iphone.

The puck mouse (1998) was total crap. Yup, that's all we got, a mouse that was included with the iMac. I bet they lost ten billion dollars on that one.

Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

The thing is though, Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing anything special. They aren't growing first party, while Sony has been doing 1st Party right. That is the big key here. The exclusives Sony "lost" has been 3rd Party, (which I believe ultimately was better to lose it now than losing it down the road and getting killed). And Now, Sony is building 1st party, which is what wins the wars. Also, Sony is taking developing markets, which well help them more in the long run than just focusing on the saturated market they lost. Not to say they won't try to regain it.

homer said:
Biddles said:

I'm sorry but no one could push Nitnendo out, 2D Mario alone could keep Nintendo afloat for generations

Around the Network

Well I have about 200 songs on my Mp3 and none came from Itunes, take that apple

homer said:
Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

I agree that it appears as if the ps3 does not have as many exclusives as last gen, but the 360 has even fewer. Sony still has a stronghold in many places around the world giving them an advantage over the xbox, where, if they lose the Americas, they will get destroyed. So if sony still can maintain control in other developing regions, they will have a huge advantage over the Xbox brand after the eventual demise of the USA. Nintendo has shown Sony who is boss in the handheld market, but the psp has still been a major success considering Nintendo has been largely unoppossed in this market. Nintendo cannot be king of the handheld market forever.Regardless, very few people will buy the next xbox for solely Halo and Gears, so if you can garner extreme support from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc., you could easily steal the Xbox fanbase, and even the Playstation. The reason why I believe Sony would outlive the Xbox brand if this occurred, is because they have more ips and 1st party devs, which is something that could bite Microsoft in the butt, and something they need to rectify asap. Nintendo is the only one I believe will be able to stand with little to no 3rd party support.

It wasnt really the amount of exlusives its just the ones they have arnt that big anymore. They lost alot of major system seller franchises like GTA and Final Fantasy and things like Metal Gear and Resident Evil which were the most popular games.

Now they have Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Killzone, God of War, good games but they dont sell like what Halo or Gears of War or old PS2 games used to. The Xbox 360 has 90% of the games the PS3 has.

If next generation is the same in that Xbox comes first and its significantly cheaper than the PS4 then Sony will be pretty much done, PS2 went from being on Top and Xbox being far underneath it to pretty much the same way around, that dominance is only going to grow, i dont think Playstation has a chance now in US.

Same thing happened in UK and Australia Xbox has that market down now, the PS3 only did as well as it did because alot of loyal people waited for the PS3 and alot thought games like GTAIV and Final Fantasy XIII and others would come out just for the PS3 but that wasnt the case.

The only thing thats keeping PS3 close to Xbox 360 in sales is Japan and the PS3 looks like its on its way out in Japan to so by the time a PS4 comes out it could perform even worse than the PS3 and if Xbox starts to take over more in US, UK and start to turn over some other major countries then Sony will be out.

stopstopp said:
Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

The thing is though, Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing anything special. They aren't growing first party, while Sony has been doing 1st Party right. That is the big key here. The exclusives Sony "lost" has been 3rd Party, (which I believe ultimately was better to lose it now than losing it down the road and getting killed). And Now, Sony is building 1st party, which is what wins the wars. Also, Sony is taking developing markets, which well help them more in the long run than just focusing on the saturated market they lost. Not to say they won't try to regain it.

But its the third party games that are selling and that are the most popular, of the Top 50 best selling PS3 games only 14 are from Sony.

Sony has Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, God of War, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank.

None of those are except maybe GT are console sellers they dont have a Halo or Mario. Most people wouldnt care if they stopped making Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 under performed so they arnt that important either. Infamous 2 and Little Big Planet 2 could under perform the same or it could go the way of Uncharted 2 but its neither will have incredible sales.

If in 2014 a Xbox 720 came out in June and a PS4 came out in November and the PS4 cost a extra $100 then itd lose out. The PS went from dominating eveything to being last in Hardware sales, Software sales. I could easily see PS4 becoming like the Nintendo of the Gamecube years but they wont come back from that theyll bow out like Sega. In these console wars someone always loses out, Nintendos gonna be ok its its own thing, but Xbox and PS are practically the same one will give out sooner or later and with how Xbox has risen so much popularity so quickly and PS' home market Japan losing interest in the PS3 then its very likely itll become like Sega.

axt113 said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

I'm sorry but no one could push Nitnendo out, 2D Mario alone could keep Nintendo afloat for generations

Doubt it. 2d mario games alone cannot warrant a console purchase alone. Luckily though, Nintendo has many other ips that are critically acclaimed.(DKC, Zelda, etc.)

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:
homer said:
Biddles said:

It wasnt really the amount of exlusives its just the ones they have arnt that big anymore. They lost alot of major system seller franchises like GTA and Final Fantasy and things like Metal Gear and Resident Evil which were the most popular games.

Now they have Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Killzone, God of War, good games but they dont sell like what Halo or Gears of War or old PS2 games used to. The Xbox 360 has 90% of the games the PS3 has.

If next generation is the same in that Xbox comes first and its significantly cheaper than the PS4 then Sony will be pretty much done, PS2 went from being on Top and Xbox being far underneath it to pretty much the same way around, that dominance is only going to grow, i dont think Playstation has a chance now in US.

Same thing happened in UK and Australia Xbox has that market down now, the PS3 only did as well as it did because alot of loyal people waited for the PS3 and alot thought games like GTAIV and Final Fantasy XIII and others would come out just for the PS3 but that wasnt the case.

The only thing thats keeping PS3 close to Xbox 360 in sales is Japan and the PS3 looks like its on its way out in Japan to so by the time a PS4 comes out it could perform even worse than the PS3 and if Xbox starts to take over more in US, UK and start to turn over some other major countries then Sony will be out.

Last time I checked, the PS3 was doing better than the 360 in EMEAA along with Japan. I could claim the only thing making the 360 close to the ps3 is the Americas and the UK and I would be right, as opposed to your lie that Japan only kept the PS3 close to the sales of the 360. Obviously, if you launch at a cheaper price and earlier release date than the competiton, you will have an advantage. Even with this advantage, with aligned launches, the ps3 is tracking above the 360. My point was, Microsoft only has Halo that can entice their fanbase to buy their console, and Halo alone cannot sale consoles. If someone such as Apple, were able to get extreme 3rd party support, the Xbox brand would have no games and no reason  reason for consumers to buy it. Sony has expanded their 1st party software devs and created many new ips that have potential to be very successful which gives them a better chance of surviving if something like this did occur. Of course, both would be doomed if something like that did occur, because of their overreliance on 3rd party software.