By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So hows Little Big Planet?

Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

At the price it's a snip.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Anyway, get it.  Metacritic and the general consensus are right on this one.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

I'm getting it to see what all the fuzz is about.

It's a must own for every ps3 owner,and I'm a ps3 owner :)

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Mordred11 said:
twesterm said:

Personally, I think it's pretty overrated.  It's a game with a sensational art style, a decent level editor, and bad to decent platformating.

The user created levels are supposed to be the big draw but I didn't see much.  It has been a few years since I played, but most levels were either trophy whore levels, bad music levels, and ripoffs of other games/movies that were bad too.  Mixed in there you could occasionally find a decent level, but those were few and far between.  People kept telling me that community ratings would fix all that but when people rate all those above levels as a 5 so others will rate them a 5, that kind of defeats the purpose.

If you're bored and you can find it for cheap, it wouldn't hurt to buy it, just don't expect the amazing game that people make it out to be.  It's nothing more than a barely acceptable platformer with a good art style.

Lol but that's just your opinion,why are you stating it as a FACT?

I guess you missed the part where I started with personally?

I could end or start every sentence with in my opinion just to satisfy people like you that take things a little too seriously but that does seem a little silly.

Wow,I can't believe I didn't see that.I'm really sorry for acting that way.

Joel12345 said:
Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

I'm getting it to see what all the fuzz is about.

It's a must own for every ps3 owner,and I'm a ps3 owner :)

Well worth it. My favourite game this gen.

Mummelmann said:
d21lewis said:

Just keep in mind that the game doesn't really have a strong narrative or any real enemies.  It's more or less a bunch of themed obstacle courses.  If you're the creative type, you can make some amazing things--and if you're not, you can find some impressive stuff that other people have made (including levels based on your favorite video game or cartoon).  The value of it can't be calculated, though.  It's a game with infinite replay value.

The sequel will have even more replay value since its so varied. Infinity x infinty??? Same as dividing by zero? Tread carefully!

only the CELL can handle that!!!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I would buy little big planet 1 just for the story levels. Yes they are that good. And thats just the icing on the cake.

And little big planet 2 looks mileees better. Like supermario?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrM7Dm48KY&feature=related

Around the Network

It is the best platformer ever because:

People can actually use their creative minds to make thousands of unique and creative levels to play.

Not to mention the campaign itself is fun and its one of the best non shooter coop experiences I have ever experienced.

twesterm said:

Personally, I think it's pretty overrated.  It's a game with a sensational art style, a decent level editor, and bad to decent platformating.

The user created levels are supposed to be the big draw but I didn't see much.  It has been a few years since I played, but most levels were either trophy whore levels, bad music levels, and ripoffs of other games/movies that were bad too.  Mixed in there you could occasionally find a decent level, but those were few and far between.  People kept telling me that community ratings would fix all that but when people rate all those above levels as a 5 so others will rate them a 5, that kind of defeats the purpose.

If you're bored and you can find it for cheap, it wouldn't hurt to buy it, just don't expect the amazing game that people make it out to be.  It's nothing more than a barely acceptable platformer with a good art style.

Totally agree.

Platforming is mediocre; story is non-existent (though that's true for many platformers); countless bad levels online, a few good ones worth playing (around 5 or so) the rest are just rehashes with a different theme.

Playing with a friend, the game is okay. Alone it's quickly forgettable. Unless you really can make a decent level.

Reasonable said:

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Most fun co-op this gen. It can lag a bit online if you play with people overseas. Best is to play locally anyway. You can grab onto eachother, slap eachother of ledges, set of traps. Some of the multiplayer challenges are pretty difficult but tons of fun to try. Never had as much fun playing with 4 people at the same time.

Some of the story levels are true works of art.

I spend a few months on making a level, don't try it until you're used to the controls. It's called temple of the prism, it has some zelda style puzzles in the 2nd half. Check my list of hearted levels if you want to avoid the crap. I haven't played it in a long time, but I easily found over a hundred great levels with lots of variety. (Be warned a few in there make dkcr seem like a walk in the park)

Best way to find levels (outside from looking on the internet) is find one you like and check which levels the author has hearted.

Beuli2 said:

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

The logic of "if it was good it would have sold more" only makes sense if you can prove that everyone in the world is equally informed about every single release.  LBP may not have had the advertising to get higher sales, or maybe there isn't a huge fanbase for platformers on the PS3, regardless looking at a log selling game and assuming most people don't think it's good is idiotic because most people have never tried it to know one way or another so how can they make a reasonable assessment of quality?

Out of curiosity, how did you come to your opinion of it being below average?