By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So hows Little Big Planet?

Complex 

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Personally, I think it's pretty overrated.  It's a game with a sensational art style, a decent level editor, and bad to decent platformating.

The user created levels are supposed to be the big draw but I didn't see much.  It has been a few years since I played, but most levels were  bad.  Mixed in there you could occasionally find a decent level, but those were few and far between. 

Don't expect the amazing game that people make it out to be.  It's nothing more than a barely acceptable platformer with a good art style.

Only this was necessary for me to agree.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Sackboy = 2D Mario

Sackboy > 3D Mario

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Stephen Fry.

That is all.

How is LBP? Fucking awesome.

That is all.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

It's the best game on PS3, imo, and will be until sometime next month.

Don't go into it expecting an amazing platformer, or an incredibly fun to use editor.  Go into it expecting a fun multiplayer experience, in which you can run around with your friends in a literally never ending stream of pre-made and user made levels, competing for points, beating each other up, or in general just acting like fools.

Features like the editor are enjoyable for some, sure, which is why there are well over 2 million levels to play so far, but they're not the main draw for most people.

And I wasn't planning to comment on posts from people who donn't like the game, as everyone seemed to have legitimate gripes at first, but this...

Barozi said:

Totally agree.

Platforming is mediocre; story is non-existent (though that's true for many platformers); countless bad levels online, a few good ones worth playing (around 5 or so) the rest are just rehashes with a different theme.

Playing with a friend, the game is okay. Alone it's quickly forgettable. Unless you really can make a decent level.

...this is just blatantly false, and it's a conclusion that could only be reached if the person hasn't played the game for more than several minutes.

I find a level that fits this criteria usually ends up being pretty good:

Interesting title/description (ie, The Legend of _______ as opposed to H4H or Shark Attack 27)
4-5 star rating
>10% of those who've played it have hearted it

With the last point being the most important, as it shows whether they'd want to play it again in the future.

a bit more than that: http://www.yourgamercards.net/profiles/barozi/5
Even bought DLC for it.

Sry but every single level with a 4 star rating and less is just not worth playing. As I said, they're all the same with a sligthly different theme.

All campaign levels are miles better than anything the community could ever create.

Mummelmann said:
Beuli2 said:
Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

At the price it's a snip.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Anyway, get it.  Metacritic and the general consensus are right on this one.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

1- Why do Nintendo fans insist on using sales as the sole measure of a games quality? I guess Zack & Wiki and The Conduit are shit games then, seing the small numbers they've moved.

2- If you call LBP below mediocre, I really don't understand you. Its the Playstation's Mario Galaxy imo.

3- PS: According to that small group of nerds, some of the most highly rated games of all time are Nintendo games.

1- Yes. Zack & Wiki I don't even need to play to know why it sold low: it's just another niche game AND to help to push down sales more, it had more cutscenes and style than substance. Conduit is an average shooter.

2- That's your opinion. I haven't played Galaxy to know.

3-  All of those high rated games are Nintendo listening to the hardcore and one of the reasons they've lost the past two generations, instead of making classic games that are much more viable and have a bigger audience. For example, why does 2D platformers get rated so low in the Wii? They certainily praised LBP, which is much worse  as a platformer. It still tickles me off how NSMB DS got  high scores yet NSMB Wii got lower scores than it, despite being the better game.

And sales are a good way to rate a game. Anyone can make a review and rate a game. But how many are willing to spent money for it? If the game is really worth playing, they will buy it [if whoever the game is meet with dissapointment the used games shelf might be it's destiny (and that's another reason developers want pure digital sales: people can't resell their game when they are unhappy with it)}.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
Mummelmann said:
Beuli2 said:
Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

1- Why do Nintendo fans insist on using sales as the sole measure of a games quality? I guess Zack & Wiki and The Conduit are shit games then, seing the small numbers they've moved.

2- If you call LBP below mediocre, I really don't understand you. Its the Playstation's Mario Galaxy imo.

3- PS: According to that small group of nerds, some of the most highly rated games of all time are Nintendo games.

And sales are a good way to rate a game. Anyone can make a review and rate a game. But how many are willing to spent money for it? If the game is really worth playing, they will buy it [if whoever the game is meet with dissapointment the used games shelf might be it's destiny (and that's another reason developers want pure digital sales: people can't resell their game when they are unhappy with it)}.

No they're not. Games aren't special, they're just like any other entertainment. And just like any other entertainment there are absolute gems which have low sales.

2D platformers without a story aren't really my thing. But I totally recognise the quality of this game. It was the one game my sons' 360 and Wii owning friends ALWAYS wanted to play when they came over to play. And everyone I know who bought LBP love it.

And if you want to judge a game's quality based on sales then you've got to put it in the right context in order to judge. Comparing LBP sales to Mario is completely the wrong context. The fact that LBP is the 12th best selling PS3 game is the right context. And the fact that LBP is one of the leggiest games on PS3 is also the right context. So in fact LBP sales, if sales were a legitimate measure of game quality, would show that it is a game worth its critical acclaim.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Beuli2 said:
Mummelmann said:
Beuli2 said:
Reasonable said:

No they're not. Games aren't special, they're just like any other entertainment. And just like any other entertainment there are absolute gems which have low sales.

2D platformers without a story aren't really my thing. But I totally recognise the quality of this game. It was the one game my sons' 360 and Wii owning friends ALWAYS wanted to play when they came over to play. And everyone I know who bought LBP love it.

And if you want to judge a game's quality based on sales then you've got to put it in the right context in order to judge. Comparing LBP sales to Mario is completely the wrong context. The fact that LBP is the 12th best selling PS3 game is the right context. And the fact that LBP is one of the leggiest games on PS3 is also the right context. So in fact LBP sales, if sales were a legitimate measure of game quality, would show that it is a game worth its critical acclaim.

They might play and think LBP is good because there aren't actually other options of 2D platformers for them to play it seems. (of course this is jsut an assumption). And I recognize that there are good games that don't sell, but that normally because it doesn't have great appeal. For example, turn based strategy rpg games like Final Fantasy Tactics  taht are way too much complicated to play except for dedicated gamers.

Above: still the best game of the year.

LBP is great, it's my most played PS3 game. There are just a tad more than 5 community levels worth playing, but don't listen to anybody who tells you that they've created a Mario/Sonic level that's 'just as good as the original'. Because they'll either be deliberately misleading you or they've never played the originals...

VGChartz