By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So hows Little Big Planet?

Beuli2 said:
Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

At the price it's a snip.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Anyway, get it.  Metacritic and the general consensus are right on this one.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

LBP has a huge fanbase and it's pretty clear from the sales, online activity and amount of levels created that more liked it than didn't.  Hence Twes is in the minority.

Heck, even in this thread so far as I can see he's in the minority (you too!).  More people who play it like it than don't, that's how popular franchises work, like Halo, etc.  Uncharted 2 springs to mind.  The critics and most people agree it's great, some think its below average - they're in the minority.

I'd note that out of 3 million levels, if even only 0.1% were good, and actually it's probably more than that, you're talking more good levels than any other game.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
Reasonable said:

Ignore Twes unless you're interested in the minority view.  LBP is one of the best new IPs this gen with arguably the best art style and sensational use of music.

As a platformer it's a lot of fun and Sackboy has infinte personality due to this expressions and personalization depth.

As a user creation platform it is currently without peer on any current console.  Nothing comes close to LBP in this area (although LBP2 does seem set to blow it out of the water).  There are 3 million levels, of which most are a bit rubbish as Twes states, but a simple search will quickly find you the cream of the crop, many of which are awesome

Also, LBP has it's own YouTube channel and developer level picks, so if you check there you'll easily find the best levels around.

At the price it's a snip.

The only potential snag I can see is if you prefer pixel perfect, Mario style platforming.  LBP has 'float' for Sackboy as he obeys the physics of his size and cloth nature just like everything else in the game.  Once you get this he's as accurate to control as Mario (despite what others say) it's just that unlike Mario you have to judge the float impact when you jump.  Some however do seem to find it offputting, although I'd note when you speak to them they invariably 'fight' the controls, always trying to get the same jump distance, etc. which isn't guaranteed.

Ironically the levels are designed with the floating jump in mind and you can make every jump without fail if you actually play with the game's physics in mind and pay attention to what surface you are jumping from, whether it is moving, etc.

Anyway, get it.  Metacritic and the general consensus are right on this one.

Although... one thing.  I believe LBP2 will be backwards compatible with the 3 million levels from LBP, so you might want to check out whether it doesn't make sense to just go straight to LBP2 (which has several big innovations over LBP in the creation department).

How you say he is the minority? Metacritics is just an opinion of a small group of game nerds, and I only hear it is good on the internet. If it was the majority of people who though this game is actually good why haven't it sold more? LBP is an below average platformer and the levels created are in majority amateurish crap stuff no one would play if it wasn't actually free.

Why do Nintendo fans insist on using sales as the sole measure of a games quality? I guess Zack & Wiki and The Conduit are shit games then, seing the small numbers they've moved.

If you call LBP below mediocre, I really don't understand you. Its the Playstation's Mario Galaxy imo.

PS: According to that small group of nerds, some of the most highly rated games of all time are Nintendo games.

@Everyone saying I'm the minority-- I know.  I never assumed I wasn't.

I merely spoke up to give a different opinion and that not everyone thinks the game is sunshine and puppy kisses.  I don't really like the physics driven platforming, the moving into the foreground/background mechanic, and have had mainly bad experiences with user levels.

twesterm said:

I merely spoke up to give a different opinion and that not everyone thinks the game is sunshine and puppy kisses.  I don't really like the physics driven platforming, the moving into the foreground/background mechanic, and have had mainly bad experiences with user levels.

Are you excited about the sequel though? Appears to have a lot more value in terms of content and the overall quality of the content.

I for one don't mind your views, the OP asked "So how is Little Big Planet?" and you answered, just like the rest of us. Pointing him towards a metascore or games sales to illustrate how a game is seems pointless (allthough some people actually do this).

Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:

Are you excited about the sequel though? Appears to have a lot more value in terms of content and the overall quality of the content.

Not likely, or at least not near release.  I just didn't really care for the first so see no reason to be excited about the second.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:

Not likely, or at least not near release.  I just didn't really care for the first so see no reason to be excited about the second.

Like me and Crysis 2 then...

LittleBigPlanet is amazing, I'd pick up the GOTY edition  if I were you. Make sure you look out for LBP2, it seems to expand on LittleBigPlanet in almost everyway possible.

Most of the complaints surrounding LBP stem from the controls. Some people want platforming games to feel one specific way -- responsive, light, and ultra precise.  This desire was shown clearly by early attempts to create classic Mario and Sonic levels in LBP, which were almost universally garbage in LBP. They take issue with LBP because it has physics based platforming which is a pretty big departure from almost all 2d platformers from the past 20 years.

If you go into it with an open mind and respect how physics platforming and simple puzzles work with  LBP's great level design, character, and atmosphere you will probably enjoy it. If you go into it expecting to play and create levels that are similar to classic platformers in terms of platforming or level design, you will be disapointed. All good level designers in LBP realize it stands on its own as a game.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

It's the best game on PS3, imo, and will be until sometime next month.

Don't go into it expecting an amazing platformer, or an incredibly fun to use editor.  Go into it expecting a fun multiplayer experience, in which you can run around with your friends in a literally never ending stream of pre-made and user made levels, competing for points, beating each other up, or in general just acting like fools.

Features like the editor are enjoyable for some, sure, which is why there are well over 2 million levels to play so far, but they're not the main draw for most people.

And I wasn't planning to comment on posts from people who donn't like the game, as everyone seemed to have legitimate gripes at first, but this...

Barozi said:

Totally agree.

Platforming is mediocre; story is non-existent (though that's true for many platformers); countless bad levels online, a few good ones worth playing (around 5 or so) the rest are just rehashes with a different theme.

Playing with a friend, the game is okay. Alone it's quickly forgettable. Unless you really can make a decent level.

...this is just blatantly false, and it's a conclusion that could only be reached if the person hasn't played the game for more than several minutes.

I find a level that fits this criteria usually ends up being pretty good:

Interesting title/description (ie, The Legend of _______ as opposed to H4H or Shark Attack 27)
4-5 star rating
>10% of those who've played it have hearted it

With the last point being the most important, as it shows whether they'd want to play it again in the future.

Mummelmann said:
d21lewis said:

Just keep in mind that the game doesn't really have a strong narrative or any real enemies.  It's more or less a bunch of themed obstacle courses.  If you're the creative type, you can make some amazing things--and if you're not, you can find some impressive stuff that other people have made (including levels based on your favorite video game or cartoon).  The value of it can't be calculated, though.  It's a game with infinite replay value.

The sequel will have even more replay value since its so varied. Infinity x infinty??? Same as dividing by zero? Tread carefully!

= 42!!!

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.