By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reviewers "trolled" by Yamauchi's damage test!

Ajescent said:
Porcupine_I said:
goforgold said:

and I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet........

GT5's leveling system is not stupid nor is it unnecessary and here's why.

unlink in other games in GT5 you have to PAY to repair your car, and the highest level of damage will require a massive amounts of credits to repair. now image if a level 1 had access to full damage, he would not have the credits to repair his car, and will lack credits to obtain new ones making advancing in the game near impossible. the leveling system in GT5 is basically in place as an idiot proof method. because believe it or not people's idea of playing a racing sim is flooring the car in the wrong direction. this  isn't forza, there's no unlimited rewind feature to undo all your mistakes. In GT5 if you mess up your car you gonna pay for it......literally. the leveling system is there to make sure you can pay for it.

Gran Turismo 5 the Demon's Souls of Racing Sims!

Good summary

Good? Fantastic.

Two awesome games... best of this gen.

Around the Network

I'm currently lvl 12 and I've just trashed my favourite car (Tuscan speed 6) which is a premium because the other races decided it would be funny to pit me whilst I was doing a turn at over 100mph. For now, the damage is only superficial but I'm dreading the later races when the penalties will be more noticeable.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

For the 2nd time this week (and the second time in my life) I feel the need to defend IGN.

Reviewers CANNOT play games in their entirety. Well, some games they can - those that last about 6 hours. The majority of reviews are done to make money, which we cannot blame them for - everyone needs to eat. How long would you guess it would take to full experience every facet of GT5? It's just impractical to expect a reviewer to sink that much time into a game, especially when they need to get the review out as soon as they can, in order for it to actually be useful to anyone.

When reading reviews (and I do hope you read reviews in their entirity) you must always be aware that the reviewer did not play the game as much as you will over your  life.

Oh dear. This is wrong in so many ways.

Nope i agree with him. Do you really think reviews put 200 hours in starocean 4 to complete the game fully?

Not sure how long it takes to complete Starocean, but if it is 200 hrs then I expect them to put in 200 hrs. If they didn't then it just highlights the problem of the reviewers mindset. If this is truly the state of video game journalism then it's a big fat joke. Unfortuantely, the joke is on the consumer who is only receiving misinformation.

Back when Baldurs Gate was released, reviewers (namely PC Gamer UK) played it until the end (200hrs). My standards have remained the same. The only way to give a full view of the product is to actually experience the product as much as possible. To do otherwise is unprofessional.

So, you have to spend hours grinding to unlock basic parts of the physics.

That's the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard. What, are you going to have to spend an hour playing GT5 before you unlock steering?

Love and tolerate.

alekth said:

So, for those who have the game... how long would you say one needs to play before noticing the change in damage?

Here's the thing once you reach the level where damage applies you should be good enough where it's not much of a factor since you less likely to crash into the walls.

Around the Network
scottie said:

Ok, response time, and I do apologise for what is bound to be rubbish spelling. I cant turn a light on without waking my gf, so get over it if I have some typos. Hey, I didnt even know I could touch type.

As to the points that people did raise, if you dont mind, ill try to summarise them. If I missed something let me know

Point 1 - reviewers need to spend more time

I stand by my ckaun that people are expecting too much - I saw 100 hours thrown out as the amount of time a reviewer should play GT5 before reviewing it. 100 hours to produce a 500 word review? I'm sorry, but commercial sites cannot afford to do that. VGChartz reviews of new games doubtleaa do not sink 100 hours in, nor should they. Maybe when reviewers look at old games they love, but not for games releasing now.

If developers have made a long game, then they should consider sending the reviewers a save file with all content unlocked on it to allow for a more thorough review.

Why is that such a horrible expectation? A game should be played as much as possible before being reviewed. Many websites can and have (in the case of GT5) delayed the review until later, so obviously it is affordable, especially for huge sites like IGN. Secondly, magazines and websites have and should always give more space for highly anticipated titles. Over 3000 words for a big title like GT5, CoD, Halo, is not absurd. How much detail can you go into with only 500 words? That's barely more than 2 paragraphs.  

Point 2 - a delayed review is good eventually, a bad review is bad forever. This is a fair point, but it comes down to two things. If a review comes later, it will be read by less people (ignore for a second that a delayed review is better), and thus make less money. Being read by less people means it is less useful as consumer advice. 

I made the point in my last reply that this equates to short-term profit vs long-term credibility. If the practice of poor and early reviews continues, no-one is going to go to the site to read reviews and long-term revenue will decrease. It's a stupid practice.

In order to counteract tje megatives og a late review, the review must therefore be better AND cheaper, reducing the amount of time the reviewer can play the game.

If the reviewer cannot play the game for an appropriate amount of time, the review will never be good.

Point 3 - reviews are art

Well, not exactly, but this covers the opinion that reviews should show integrity, and should be good, ratger than simply useful, that reviewers owe something to their fans. This opinion is only held by us forum dwellers, and not by those that the reviews are mostly aimed at.

Don't think reviews are art. However, I will say I expect them to be professional. IMO video games journalism and its lack of professionalism is a major factor in perception of the industry by the general populace. The poor reviews are just an extension of this.

Point 4 - benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, but this doesnt really work. You cant really go into reviewing a game assuming that all things that are bad about the game, graphics, music, lack of features, will disappear when you hit a certain level.

No, but I can expect that they will experience all areas of the game and give a full asessment.

I hope that IGN eventually patches their review

@ ssj12 - I know VGChartz is different to other review sites, that;s why I read the reviews here after all. Although I was under the impression that VGChartz reviewers were either unpaid or paid a token fee? (maybe that is no longer true) In which case the argument of being unable to afford to give your reviewers time is much less relevant.

See comments above. Your touch typing is actually quite impressive ;)

Three pages of this? Fuck that.

I read the OP and the first page. Anyways, I just expect reviewers to beat the game and make a judgment based off the campaign. If they don't see the credits roll for every game before forming an opinion, it's an incomplete review.

Smidlee said:
alekth said:

So, for those who have the game... how long would you say one needs to play before noticing the change in damage?

Here's the thing once you reach the level where damage applies you should be good enough where it's not much of a factor since you less likely to crash into the walls.

Nah, I'm asking purely out of curiosity about how long the reviewers missing that feature spent on the game.

Salnax said:

That's the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard. What, are you going to have to spend an hour playing GT5 before you unlock steering?

Grinding?!? The game play just fine without damage. It gives you a chance to earn some money and practice a bit before being penalise. I understand that you would prefer an option, but seriously, "the biggest piece of crap"...

Icyedge said:
Salnax said:

Grinding?!? The game play just fine without damage. It gives you a chance to earn some money and practice a bit before being penalise. I understand that you would prefer an option, but seriously, "the biggest piece of crap"...

True, that was an overreaction. I just think that damage sounds like a basic part of the game. I don't know, I usually don't play racers.

Love and tolerate.