By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reviewers "trolled" by Yamauchi's damage test!

pezus said:
Bladeneo said:

IGN is getting worse and worse over the past year; I find it laughable they still have to justify the ridiculous score they gave GTAIV by rating is so highly on their 'top 25' lists. 

Yep and I think this goes to show just how few reviewers actually spend enough time playing the games to be able to form a valid opinion/review of them.

whts a reveiw? who thats right; vgchartz has those, and maybe GT5 will get a 9 out of 10 and im sure the reveiwer will have played it alltheway through before giving it a score and i guse that would be a reveiw!

now whts an ign?

Around the Network
scottie said:

For the 2nd time this week (and the second time in my life) I feel the need to defend IGN.

Reviewers CANNOT play games in their entirety. Well, some games they can - those that last about 6 hours. The majority of reviews are done to make money, which we cannot blame them for - everyone needs to eat. How long would you guess it would take to full experience every facet of GT5? It's just impractical to expect a reviewer to sink that much time into a game, especially when they need to get the review out as soon as they can, in order for it to actually be useful to anyone.

When reading reviews (and I do hope you read reviews in their entirity) you must always be aware that the reviewer did not play the game as much as you will over your  life.

no.. you are so wrong. without playing the entire game, what they write can only be preview. let's take World of Warcfraft as an example, the game changes completely after you reach the level cap, you can't *review* the game without experiencing every part of it. let alone it's one of the biggest PS3 title this year. I think reviewers nowadays are spoiled by shooters with tiny length campaign.

kafar said:
scottie said:

For the 2nd time this week (and the second time in my life) I feel the need to defend IGN.

Reviewers CANNOT play games in their entirety. Well, some games they can - those that last about 6 hours. The majority of reviews are done to make money, which we cannot blame them for - everyone needs to eat. How long would you guess it would take to full experience every facet of GT5? It's just impractical to expect a reviewer to sink that much time into a game, especially when they need to get the review out as soon as they can, in order for it to actually be useful to anyone.

When reading reviews (and I do hope you read reviews in their entirity) you must always be aware that the reviewer did not play the game as much as you will over your  life.

no.. you are so wrong. without playing the entire game, what they write can only be preview. let's take World of Warcfraft as an example, the game changes completely after you reach the level cap, you can't *review* the game without experiencing every part of it. let alone it's one of the biggest PS3 title this year. I think reviewers nowadays are spoiled by shooters with tiny length campaign.

I'm glad you picked up WoW as an example. That is a game that, if you and everyone who disagrees with me were right, would be comletely unreviewable.

You think that you can get to level 80(85 soon) and then quickly experience everything? My 3 characters between them have has 22 DAYS playtime under their belt. I have not killed the Lich King in Heroic mode, infact I haven't even fought him in heroic - I haven't really beaten WotLK, except in easy mode, and the expansion is about to come out. My experience with PvP is minimal and I have only played 25% of the 10 characters (Priest and Warr @ 80 and leveling a hunter) By your criteria, I need to play for more than 22 days before I review WoW.

So you must accept that, even if you hold your belief to be true for other games, you cannot believe as you implied you did for MMORPG's. Once you established that, it's just a matter of drawing the line, deciding which games it is feasible to play all of, and which it isn't. We can start with WoW in the 'reviewers have to cut corners' pile, and anything from the beat'em'up genre in the list of games that should be played the whole way through.

Ahh, but where to put GT5?

About your question, I think GT5  can be played till the end of the career mode in a very reasonable time. Its not longer then most regular RPGs. Personally, I think up to 80 hours, if necessary, is a reasonable time. Something sure is, if a publisher think a certain game will eat too much time and profit to review appropriately, they should simply not review it at all. Thats call integrity.

I cannot believe you're comparing review procedures for MMORPG and a race sim. They're completely different..

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

ive been on gt5 heavily since release and im lvl12 a spec and lvl3 b spec. i think ive put more hours into the game than the revewers, its totally gripping stuff. when played with the initial d soundtracks it just rocks.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

ive been on gt5 heavily since release and im lvl12 a spec and lvl3 b spec. i think ive put more hours into the game than the revewers, its totally gripping stuff. when played with the initial d soundtracks it just rocks.

how can u only be level 12 ?

you dont do the special event ?

I m level 13 and I really dont play that much ...

Edit : dma, skeeuk, you really skeeuks (lolll)

Edit 2 : this girl is, well ... keep posting man but avoid banning plz !

Time to Work !

twesterm said:
pezus said:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/11/27/gran-turismo-5-reviewers-failed-yamauchis-damage-test-incomplete-reviews/

"As investigated by GTPlanet.net forumGran Turismo 5 has a progressive damage system. This means that as you level up and become more experienced each level of damage becomes unlocked. A report indicates that at level 20 in the game, near full damage becomes unlocked with moderate mechanical issues and at level 40 full damage becomes unlocked with significant mechanical issues.

At full damage, mechanical failures play a critical role in the vehicles drivability and aerodynamics. At this level car hoods, trunks, and even doors will be hanging by a hinge as pieces of the car fall off.

I'm sorry, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.  No offense to GT5 but as you level up you can do more damage to your car?

If you're making a realistic racing sim, why does my level 1 car damage different than my level 40 car?  That's just plain stupid.

And as for reviewers missing it, it sound like a stupid system.  If damage was one of your big features, you either at least hint to the reviewers it's hidden and unlocked or accept that they're going to miss it.  If you hide a big feature, people are going to miss it and mention in the review that it's not there.

To I guess this should serve as a note to Polyphony and any other developers-- don't hide major features in silly systems while telling nobody about it or expect reviewers to ding you for not having the feature or the feature not living up to promises.

It's your profile that levels up. The reason they did it was because they wanted to ease beginning players in. They also remarked that you don't have the money it takes to repair your car in the beginning of the game.

Check out my game about moles ^

deskpro2k3 said:

Yamauchi:1
Reviewers: 0

That is hilarious!!!!

i try to stay away from game reviews, because it clouds my judgement and may put me off a game or get me hyped for no reason (this happened with black ops, i regret buying it), and of course reviewers cant get to fully play a game like gran turismo in a short space of time to be able to give it a proper review which i do understand

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E