By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reviewers "trolled" by Yamauchi's damage test!

_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

For the 2nd time this week (and the second time in my life) I feel the need to defend IGN.

Reviewers CANNOT play games in their entirety. Well, some games they can - those that last about 6 hours. The majority of reviews are done to make money, which we cannot blame them for - everyone needs to eat. How long would you guess it would take to full experience every facet of GT5? It's just impractical to expect a reviewer to sink that much time into a game, especially when they need to get the review out as soon as they can, in order for it to actually be useful to anyone.

When reading reviews (and I do hope you read reviews in their entirity) you must always be aware that the reviewer did not play the game as much as you will over your  life.

Oh dear. This is wrong in so many ways.

Nope i agree with him. Do you really think reviews put 200 hours in starocean 4 to complete the game fully?

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Around the Network
FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

For the 2nd time this week (and the second time in my life) I feel the need to defend IGN.

Reviewers CANNOT play games in their entirety. Well, some games they can - those that last about 6 hours. The majority of reviews are done to make money, which we cannot blame them for - everyone needs to eat. How long would you guess it would take to full experience every facet of GT5? It's just impractical to expect a reviewer to sink that much time into a game, especially when they need to get the review out as soon as they can, in order for it to actually be useful to anyone.

When reading reviews (and I do hope you read reviews in their entirity) you must always be aware that the reviewer did not play the game as much as you will over your  life.

Nope i agree with him. Do you really think reviews put 200 hours in starocean 4 to complete the game fully?

But why shouldn't they? If you want to give the game a fair roll of the dice then you investigate every nook and cranny not just skimm it.

As someone said earlier, movie reviews don't just watch the last 20mins of a movie or book reviewers the last 10 pages and say it's awesome/sucky. You need to go all out otherwise you just end up looking foolish.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

It's not like they have to get the ridiculous trophies to get through the game (and those , Star Ocean's, are ridiculous enough to criticize without getting them). One playthrough, I'd say, is normal and the least one should do for a review.

The damage progression doesn't really seem like a tiny facet of the game that you can miss, and neither is it an insignificant one.

6 hours? Only justified if the reviewer has to do a game a day.

alekth said:
FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

It's not like they have to get the ridiculous trophies to get through the game (and those , Star Ocean's, are ridiculous enough to criticize without getting them). One playthrough, I'd say, is normal and the least one should do for a review.

The damage progression doesn't really seem like a tiny facet of the game that you can miss, and neither is it an insignificant one.

6 hours? Only justified if the reviewer has to do a game a day.

Well i agree 6 hours for GT a top tier racing sim is too little. Atleast 30- 40 hours minimum for GT5 but some games just can't be completed fully or "finished" within a reasonable time period.That's what i'm trying to get across.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Ajescent said:
FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

But why shouldn't they? If you want to give the game a fair roll of the dice then you investigate every nook and cranny not just skimm it.

As someone said earlier, movie reviews don't just watch the last 20mins of a movie or book reviewers the last 10 pages and say it's awesome/sucky. You need to go all out otherwise you just end up looking foolish.

I've never seen a movie over 200 hours.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

Around the Network
FlyingLotus said:
Ajescent said:
FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

I think you are deliberately misinterping the point at hand.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Some damage I've been able to do after a period of time (Only A-Spec lvl 4-8)

NASCAR =

WRC (Parts falling off!) =

FlyingLotus said:
Ajescent said:
FlyingLotus said:
_BetterThanToast_ said:
scottie said:

I read books of over 1000 pages

So......Yamauchi is god confirmed?

Edit:  People should read my sig.  Screw reviews!  

dunno001:

"Needless to say, I've never trusted them, or, frankly, any other review source. What I do trust, is what I see with my own eyes and play with my own hands."

Favorite Games of All-Time:

1.  Star Ocean 3   2. Kingdom Hearts:  Birth by Sleep  3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2  4.  Metal Gear Solid 4    5.  Super Mario 3  6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time  7. Uncharted 2

Man, when I first read IGN's review for GT5, I didn't think much of it, they lost my respect and interest long ago. Now I see that they were talking out of their ass. If it's your job to play games throughly and give an unbiased opinion on the game, do the damn job correctly. This review might turn off some players from buying it, well, all the gamers who can't decide on their own and rely on others to pick games for them.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian