By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - what will be the highest selling game of 2008?

I see Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and Grand Theft Auto all as being between 8 and 10 Million units this year, but I'm not sure which one will be on top; I suspect Wii Fit but can't say for sure.

Around the Network

GTA IV
Wii Fit

and my dark horse ....

Wii Play.

Seriously, everyone. Don't underestimate this thing.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I'm not to sure, I'll have to say Brawl followed by GTA. Brawl by a little bit.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

OH come on

your all wrong

ITS WII SPORTS.

mM

GTA IV, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (if you count online purchases as well, there's a horde of nerds like me waiting for this!!).

Around the Network

Contenders are Wii fit, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Brawl and GTA 4

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Wii Sports and maybe Wii Play if you count them, but they're sorta cheating by being bundled. I'm also ignoring stuff on the DS, just because I haven't been following them much, and a Yearly section for Europe isn't readily available to better analyze Brain Training etc.

SSBB has a very good chance of coming on top of the non-bundled "real" game pile. It has huge appeal to both casual and (especially) hardcore audiences, not to mention how insanely well it did on "just" the Gamecube.

Wii Fit is a bit of a mystery, but has the potential for selling truly ridiculous amounts. I'm probably underestimating it a bit, since I really don't give a damn for it.

GTA4 is the game I think most people are seriously over-estimating. The last few parts did very well because they were games everyone could play on the console everyone had. I've typed a long explanation for this a million times, which I have no intention of repeating here, but basically most people have trouble playing a game where you shoot aliens, lead armies etc, but almost everyone can relate to a regular guy on the street, getting caught in a life of crime. I don't think the hordes of people who bought the really succesful ones on the PS2 generally have HD consoles, and GTA4 will sell 5 million copies during its lifetime at best. That's still very well, but definitely not the best selling game of the year. Of course I never liked the GTA games, so I don't exactly understand the appeal in them. We'll see if I was right, or very wrong soon enough.

GT5 has much of the same issue, since obviously racing games are very casual friendly (compared to shooters, strategy games etc). Still a million seller, but without a doubt the least selling part of the main series.

Now that I think of it, there probably won't be a single PS3 or 360 exclusive in the top 5 best selling games this year.

Starcraft 2 might have a chance, but I'm unfamiliar with PC sales.

HappySqurriel said:
I see Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and Grand Theft Auto all as being between 8 and 10 Million units this year, but I'm not sure which one will be on top; I suspect Wii Fit but can't say for sure.

Wii Sports will win again.  I don't see any of those game reaching 8 million this year.  If anything, GTA 4 will reach that when you combine both systems and that is it.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Parokki said:

GTA4 is the game I think most people are seriously over-estimating. The last few parts did very well because they were games everyone could play on the console everyone had. I've typed a long explanation for this a million times, which I have no intention of repeating here, but basically most people have trouble playing a game where you shoot aliens, lead armies etc, but almost everyone can relate to a regular guy on the street, getting caught in a life of crime. I don't think the hordes of people who bought the really succesful ones on the PS2 generally have HD consoles, and GTA4 will sell 5 million copies during its lifetime at best. That's still very well, but definitely not the best selling game of the year. Of course I never liked the GTA games, so I don't exactly understand the appeal in them. We'll see if I was right, or very wrong soon enough.

Halo 3 is likely already past 7 million copies sold now (nevermind all the sales for the next 2-3 years for the game) and you think GTA4, a sequel to games that sold over double what each Halo games sold, is going to sell less than half of Halo 3 in it's lifetime?  That it's going to sell just a few hundred thousand copies more than Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories sold on the PSP, a system known for having weak sales compared to the consoles?

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
HappySqurriel said:

Wii Sports will win again.  I don't see any of those game reaching 8 million this year.  If anything, GTA 4 will reach that when you combine both systems and that is it.

yeah your right wii sports will be the best selling again ,but alot of people dont wanna count it because its bundled thats why

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"