By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2010 Wii: The end of the road

2010 Wii: The end of the road

Nintendo'll give hints a... 29 11.89%

Nintendo'll announce Wii... 14 5.74%

Nintendo'll keep things ... 201 82.38%

Total:244

In Japan? I really think all current systems have peaked in Japan.

PS3 did 2.22m in Japan from August 30 2009 to August 29 2010 but will be down below 2m over the course of a 52 week in late September or October, as its already down to 2.02m over the 52 weeks ending Sept 12 2010. I have it back to 1.8m for Jan - Dec 2010.

PSP did 4.3m in Japan over a 52 week period roughly two years earlier - 52 weeks to Sept 21 2008. Its down to something like 2.4m for the year ending Sept 12 2010.

Wii did 3.8m in Japan over a 52 week period ending March 2008. Its down to something like 2.15m for the year ending Sept 12 2010

DS did 9.24m (!!) in Japan over a 52 week period ending Dec 24 2006. Its down to 3.3m for the year ending Sept 12 2010.

I think traditionally, in Japan, new consoles arrive four years after a system peaked. PS2 peaked at 4.5m over the 52 weeks ending Dec 1 2002. PS3 released in Nov 2006. Famicom peaked in 1986, Super Famicom released in 1990. SNES peaked 1992, N64 launched in 1996, Genesis peaked in 1990, Saturn launched in 1994. N64 peaked in 1997, GC released in 2001.DS peaked in 2006, and 3DS could be out by the end of 2010.

There are a couple excpetions though. Saturn / PS1 both had early successors given that Saturn peaked in what, 1995? and DC released in 1998. PS1 peaked in 1997 and PS2 was out in 2000. PSP peaked in late 2008, but it will have a successor before late 2012. GC peaked in 2003, Wii released in 2006. I don't think you can expect Sony to wait until 2014 to release PS4 either,

I'd expect Wii 2 in Spring 2012 I suppose. Ride out Zelda / Pikmin / Price Cut / IE3 to a decent 2011, and then let DQX / small games / one more price cut cut carry the Wii from Spring 2012 on. In Japan Wii can still get to well over 15m lifetime if it has a strong 2011 (should be over 11.5m by the end of 2010 in Japan).

PSP2 will probably be out in Fall 2011 in Japan, and I figure PS4 will be out in Fall 2012.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

In all seriousness, these threads are kinda meh since logically this gen is winding down, its not dead, won't be for another couple of years if not more, but record breaking sales of the Wii and software overall will start to become more steady and there will be fewer spikes.  Nintendo might want to do a home console redesign like the others (to get another spike), colors have proven in the past as they do now that it doesn't get return buyers like redesigns do.

Though on the otherhand Nintendo might look at it in this way, even if previous owners buy a new redesign, its still the same person owning the console except now there is two consoles in the house and the same amount of games being bought when there was just one so it actually hurts attach ratio and to be honest console sales are just numbers one console maker likes to throw in the face of the others, since i's obvious you don't need to sell a 100 million consoles to be a stable platform for developers.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

What makes anyone think that 3rd parties will support a new Nintendo console if Nintendo rushes one out? No, we are still years away from the successor to the Wii.

I assumed your question was about 2011, not 2010.

Ofcourse Nintendo will announce a new console next year.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I think the Wii situation in Japan is dismal. Being that I don't live in Japan, I'm not especially concerned with its performance there. I do, however, care that apart from Nintendo's own fine releases there is just so little to look forward to. The 2010 Wii lineup is nothing short of a joke when you compare it to what the PS2 had coming out at that point in its life. 

It's still hard to argue that the that Wii hasn't been enormously successful for Nintendo. They've made a lot of money and sold gaming consoles to people who would never buy one otherwise. This is great for them; it's just their relationship with 3rd parties that leaves something to be desired. I think the Wii will go down in history behind the Dreamcast as the system with the most squandered potential with so many amazing ideas simply left on the table because Nintendo nor third parties could be bothered to pursue them. Simply tragic I think.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

There will be no announces or even intended hints this year.   They want all attention on the 3DS at this point. 

Also hints of a new console would undercut the current one which still has a slew of major games to be released - Kirby, DKCR, Wii Party, ZELDA.    Wii will do fine this holiday season.   It may or may not outsell the competition but sales will still be very profittable and quite strong.

However there's no question Wii is ebbing and a new console will likely be announced at E3 or TGS 11

The next year is the last big software push for the Wii.

A successor will be released in time for 2011 Holiday sales worldwide.

I have spoken 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

(No, I don't know anything more than anyone else. But looking at past history, this would make sense).

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Soriku said:
jarrod said:
TheSource said:

What is Earth Seeker?

In theory, some PSP support will go to Wii as well, as 3DS should kill off a fair amount of its support. I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some 3DS to Wii ports which could help.

Earth Seeker's a futuristic sci-fi Monster Hunter clone from the original series director (who now runs a company called Crafts & Meister, made up of mostly former Capcom staff) and produced by Enterbrain (aka: Famitsu).  It might do okay, or it might bomb, could really go either way imo.

And honestly, I think 3DS is going to kill off both PSP and Wii support.  As is, both are looking pretty pathetic for 2011 and on, PSP's being propped up by Nomura almost single handedly, and Nintendo (as usual) is the real lone driving force for Wii.  For games next year or ater that could sell upwards of 200k in Japan, it's just...

PSP

• Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy 012 (Square Enix)
  • Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Square Enix)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: Final Mix (Square Enix)
  • White Knight Chronicles: Dogma Wars (SCEI/Japan studio)
Wii
  • Dragon Quest X (Square Enix/TBA)
  • Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level-5)
  • Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo/Square Enix)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo)
  • Wii Vitality (Nintendo)

Shouldn't Pikmin 3 do it as well? I think people forgot about that game.

Anyway I think 2011 has some good enough releases so it's not entirely bare. But holiday 2011 release in Japan only or 2012 sounds about right. It's not like it'd be cut short, it'll be going for a standard 5 years or even a bit more.

I didn't count Pikmin 3 as it's not officially announced yet and really, I'm not sure if it'll even end up on Wii.  Could go 3DS, or even Wii 2 imo.

I do sort of think Nintendo should consider continuing the NPC line next year though, to help fill the holes in the schedule.  Games like F-Zero GX, Mario Golf GC or even higher profile conversions like Mario Sunshine and Zelda TWW could help fill out the lineup and probably sell pretty decently (Mario Tennis GC and Pikmin 1-2 did pretty well on Wii already).  They could even open it up to select 3rd party games actually (Viewtful Joe, DrillLand, SA2Battle, Homeland, etc).

The wii is pretty much slowing down a bit.

But this does not at all mean Nintendo will kill it now. 

There's still lots of games coming in the near future, and we don't know what Nintendo has planned for the upcoming year because they're so damn secretive.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the next console won't be announced until earl 2012 or so. 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Soriku said:
jarrod said:
Soriku said:
jarrod said:
TheSource said:

What is Earth Seeker?

In theory, some PSP support will go to Wii as well, as 3DS should kill off a fair amount of its support. I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some 3DS to Wii ports which could help.

Earth Seeker's a futuristic sci-fi Monster Hunter clone from the original series director (who now runs a company called Crafts & Meister, made up of mostly former Capcom staff) and produced by Enterbrain (aka: Famitsu).  It might do okay, or it might bomb, could really go either way imo.

And honestly, I think 3DS is going to kill off both PSP and Wii support.  As is, both are looking pretty pathetic for 2011 and on, PSP's being propped up by Nomura almost single handedly, and Nintendo (as usual) is the real lone driving force for Wii.  For games next year or ater that could sell upwards of 200k in Japan, it's just...

PSP

• Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy 012 (Square Enix)
  • Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Square Enix)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: Final Mix (Square Enix)
  • White Knight Chronicles: Dogma Wars (SCEI/Japan studio)
Wii
  • Dragon Quest X (Square Enix/TBA)
  • Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level-5)
  • Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo/Square Enix)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo)
  • Wii Vitality (Nintendo)

Shouldn't Pikmin 3 do it as well? I think people forgot about that game.

Anyway I think 2011 has some good enough releases so it's not entirely bare. But holiday 2011 release in Japan only or 2012 sounds about right. It's not like it'd be cut short, it'll be going for a standard 5 years or even a bit more.

I didn't count Pikmin 3 as it's not officially announced yet and really, I'm not sure if it'll even end up on Wii.  Could go 3DS, or even Wii 2 imo.

I do sort of think Nintendo should consider continuing the NPC line next year though, to help fill the holes in the schedule.  Games like F-Zero GX, Mario Golf GC or even higher profile conversions like Mario Sunshine and Zelda TWW could help fill out the lineup and probably sell pretty decently (Mario Tennis GC and Pikmin 1-2 did pretty well on Wii already).  They could even open it up to select 3rd party games actually (Viewtful Joe, DrillLand, SA2Battle, Homeland, etc).

Miyamoto already confirmed Pikmin 3 for the Wii...

Things happen.  Eternal Darkness, Cubivore and Dinosaur Planet were all confirmed for N64 too.  Super Paper Mario, DK Barrel Blast and Kirby were confirmed for GC.... don't be surprised if some late term Wii games end up on the successor instead (or in addition to, like Twilight Princess).