By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2010 Wii: The end of the road

2010 Wii: The end of the road

Nintendo'll give hints a... 29 11.89%

Nintendo'll announce Wii... 14 5.74%

Nintendo'll keep things ... 201 82.38%

Total:244

Well TGS is here but the Wii specific titles aren't, aside from Dragon Quest X (wich of course is going to be huge) and Earth Seeker there's nothing for Nintendo's console, now Nintendo is not strange to this situation (remember the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube) the difference is that now the console is still a success, mostly because a new market that has been opened by Nintendo and now is the target for the other 2 companies.

From this point I think Wii has little chance to get attention from new gamers, still I think It'll have a period of good sales this christmas and the first party can keep the console moving a little, but other than that is quite difficult to see how Nintendo can keep Wii relevant (specially with the Kinect and Move around), so that's why I think that at least we're going to get a hint about Wii's successor this year; maybe not a big chunck of information but something aabout the control or specifications.

But the thing is, I think that keeping the so called Casual audience isn't enought, Nintendo should go for everythng this time, with a system than can please both sides of the coin.

Around the Network

What is Earth Seeker?

2011 could actually be pretty strong for Wii in Japan given the baseline is likely this:

Ongoing sales: Wii Party, NSMB Wii, WF ....DKC Returns, Kirby

New Sales: Inazuma Eleven Wii, Zelda, Last Story, Pikmin 3, Mario Sports Mix, Wii Relax, possibly DQX

Other pushes: Price Cut (there will be more than one price cut in five years!)

In theory, some PSP support will go to Wii as well, as 3DS should kill off a fair amount of its support. I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some 3DS to Wii ports which could help.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I love all this

'Wii is domed' shit that seems to be going round now

When you're pointing out what games the Wii has coming, you mention Earth Seeker, but fail to mention the upcoming release of the console's first Zelda game? (ports and spinoffs excluded obviously). Bit of an oversight perhaps. Also, Wii Party seems likely to become one of the better selling games this gen, and that has yet to see a Western release.

Anyway, as I've been saying for the entire generation, the Wii's successor will be announced 1 year after the announcement of the DS's successor, and released 1 year after the release of the DS's succeessor. I have seen nothing to make me change my mind about either of those predictions

E3 2011 release by Christmas for japan early 2012 for the rest of the year if not simultaneous, at the soonest would be my guess. No chance of seeing anything this year.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

scottie said:

I love all this

Not doom, but yes at the last couple of years, honestly I don't see the Wii getting a 10yr cycle, 1st party support and some big titles can keep the console selling as I said, but that couldn't stand for a lot.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

What is Earth Seeker?

2011 could actually be pretty strong for Wii in Japan given the baseline is likely this:

Ongoing sales: Wii Party, NSMB Wii, WF ....DKC Returns, Kirby

New Sales: Inazuma Eleven Wii, Zelda, Last Story, Pikmin 3, Mario Sports Mix, Wii Relax, possibly DQX

Other pushes: Price Cut (there will be more than one price cut in five years!)

In theory, some PSP support will go to Wii as well, as 3DS should kill off a fair amount of its support. I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some 3DS to Wii ports which could help.

Source, let's be honest about this. The situation in Japan for the Wii is abysmal ATM if we speak about 3rd party games. Nintendo has this year covered to some extent (already losing to PS3 YTD), but without a single semi big 3rd party project it's all theirs to carry.

Plus lol at Wii getting some PSP support. This year Wii has seen almost nothing announced in comparison to the PSP there in Japan. PSP is a very viable console with a strong and active userbase. Same cannot be said for the Wii after the 3rd party disasters. So far this TGS has been empty of Wii games.

2011 will be a very weak year for the Wii if we take into account all we know so far. It's Inazuma Strikers, Zelda: SS, Mario Sports Mix and possibly VS and or Pikmin 3. DQX will not be released next year, no way in hell since DQIX was released a year ago. The Last Story is scheduled for 2010.

I'm thinking next year might be Wii's last breath in Japan. Nintendo will most probably release a new home console in 2011 there and 2012 in the West.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

alfredofroylan said:
scottie said:

I love all this

Not doom, but yes at the last couple of years, honestly I don't see the Wii getting a 10yr cycle, 1st party support and some big titles can keep the console selling as I said, but that couldn't stand for a lot.

Whoever said the Wii is getting a 10 year cycle? No current gen console will last even nearly that long.

I wish this forum could have just one WII IS DOOMED thread instead of three new ones each week.

They will definitely not announce anything new this year. Doing so would be quite stupid and self-harming with the 3DS just around the corner.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:

They will definitely not announce anything new this year. Doing so would be quite stupid and self-harming with the 3DS just around the corner.

Of course these things are never announced until the system is quite ready, but they're hinted in some way or other like the 3DS.

The Wii is still fine for a couple of years in my opinion... 2011 will see Izunama eleven, DQX, Zelda, mario sports mix, and maybe pikmin, star fox and two o three more surprises... About 3party support... I think nintendo couldnt care less about it, if anyone feel like it really need an hd console they can go buy a ps3/360 console, that not the point, nintendo already know how to keep alive a platform with almost 0 support from 3 parties (n64 & gamecube). I think nintendo will show some big games for next year anytime after hollydays, and maybe one or two more ventures as the one they had with team ninja....

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064