By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2010 Wii: The end of the road

2010 Wii: The end of the road

Nintendo'll give hints a... 29 11.89%

Nintendo'll announce Wii... 14 5.74%

Nintendo'll keep things ... 201 82.38%

Total:244

But there's plenty of stuff coming for the Wii, isn't there? Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Wii Party, Epic Mickey, Mario Sports, UDraw, Goldeneye, Just Dance 2, etc.

Wii Vitality should be coming which should further expand the market for the Wii.

I don't think Move or Kinect present that big of a threat to Nintendo aside from just being a lot of hype. Kinect will be a moderate success and Move will bomb.

Around the Network
fwap said:
alfredofroylan said:
scottie said:

I love all this

'Wii is domed' shit that seems to be going round now

Not doom, but yes at the last couple of years, honestly I don't see the Wii getting a 10yr cycle, 1st party support and some big titles can keep the console selling as I said, but that couldn't stand for a lot.

Whoever said the Wii is getting a 10 year cycle? No current gen console will last even nearly that long.

I wish this forum could have just one WII IS DOOMED thread instead of three new ones each week.

alfredo, I had a much more in depth response, but accidently hit the delete button whilst not clicked on the text box. Ugh. Anyway

Summary was that you should have a look at the PS2's history to find out why I can't accept your claims.

The PS2 only had 5 big games outside its first 46 months.

GTA:SA - balanced by NSMB

GT4 - Balanced by SMG2

DQVIII - balanced by DQX

NFS and FFXII - balanced by Zelda and Wii Party

My longer post went on to address the inevitable concern that GTA:SA and GT4 were released just after the 46 month mark and that SMG2 and NSMB were released just before, and to state that that difference is fairly minor. I also stated that the Wii has the advantage that it has so far had more evergreen games, such as Wii Fit, that will continue to push hardware and balance out the minor issue just raised. My post also pointed out that this analysis is based on the assumption that the Wii does not have any more big games announced for it, either 1st or 3rd party, and that no currently announced games end up selling better than expected, which if true leaves the Wii in about as good a position as the PS2 was, and if not true leaves the Wii in a btter position.

@ fwap - well, I'm saying it now. Not certain, but likely.

What about Inazuma Eleven?

I think the Wii's successor will be announced this year, for release early next year.  I think Nintendo wish to catch Sony and Microsoft off guard while they are focussing on Move/Kinect 

When has Nintendo ever needed third parties to carry their consoles? They have Kirby, DKC, Zelda and the Wii Vitality sensor is still floating around. Pikmin is supposed to come next year, Dragon Quest being their one big third party game counts for a lot. Wii will do just fine.

is everyone forgetting this year's lineup?

Honestly though I'm more interested in the 3ds lineup though... really disappointed there is no console pilotwings.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

What is Earth Seeker?

In theory, some PSP support will go to Wii as well, as 3DS should kill off a fair amount of its support. I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some 3DS to Wii ports which could help.

Earth Seeker's a futuristic sci-fi Monster Hunter clone from the original series director (who now runs a company called Crafts & Meister, made up of mostly former Capcom staff) and produced by Enterbrain (aka: Famitsu).  It might do okay, or it might bomb, could really go either way imo.

And honestly, I think 3DS is going to kill off both PSP and Wii support.  As is, both are looking pretty pathetic for 2011 and on, PSP's being propped up by Nomura almost single handedly, and Nintendo (as usual) is the real lone driving force for Wii.  For games next year or ater that could sell upwards of 200k in Japan, it's just...

PSP

• Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy 012 (Square Enix)
  • Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Square Enix)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: Final Mix (Square Enix)
  • White Knight Chronicles: Dogma Wars (SCEI/Japan studio)
Wii
  • Dragon Quest X (Square Enix/TBA)
  • Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level-5)
  • Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo/Square Enix)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo)
  • Wii Vitality (Nintendo)

I believe that there will be at least a 2 year gap between the 3DS and the Wii's successor.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

menx64 said:

The Wii is still fine for a couple of years in my opinion... 2011 will see Izunama eleven, DQX, Zelda, mario sports mix, and maybe pikmin, star fox and two o three more surprises... About 3party support... I think nintendo couldnt care less about it, if anyone feel like it really need an hd console they can go buy a ps3/360 console, that not the point, nintendo already know how to keep alive a platform with almost 0 support from 3 parties (n64 & gamecube). I think nintendo will show some big games for next year anytime after hollydays, and maybe one or two more ventures as the one they had with team ninja....

Dont forget about the Vitality Sensor , this little thing can be bigger than Kinectics or move...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

I think he is saying after this year. Third partys have absolutely nothing to cover the months of January-June. Yes, there are titles like Dragon Ques, but who know when it is going out, and I'm not counting titles like Mario Sports Mix, because I doubt Square-Enix begged Nintendo to do that title. It is worse than this year, PS360 had tons and tons of big exclusives in the same timeframe, while Nintendo had to rely on few small third-parties releases. Now it seems they are even more abandoned, relying only in thenselves for Jan-Jun.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I think the software situation in Japan (and situation in general) is what will push Nintendo to a new console by next holiday season. They've got enough strength on their own that Wii can move through the end quite handily (and remain quite strong even in Japan at the very end, as Dragon Quest X is likely to land Fall 2011 as well)

My bet is that Microsoft will match that date for a new console, though, and they too will have the strength to hold 360 through to the end (and not drop it like a hot potato like they did with the Xbox), but Microsoft is going to want to head into the next generation quickly, a super integrated Kinect upgrade console at roughly double 360 specs.

It's Sony that'll hold out, but not past holidays 2012

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.