By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 18 Month Wait for 'Hardcore' Kinect Games -say's Microsoft EMEA vice prez.

I would have kept that to myself if I was Microsoft.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

why, i do not see this as a hinderance, it seem's very good that they are being open in the Time frame you can expect the more hardcore experiences to be released on the platform. Microsoft is taking their Time, I think their being realistic in expectation's on how long they need to make sure the Core game experiences for Kinect is ready. It's better than rushing too fast and make some of the software suffer in quality.

Look at Alan Wake as a great example of a great quality game and some may say it took too long but Im glad they put out such a great game. It was far from cookie cutter and that was a bonus if the same thing happen's to Kinect game's as well.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
Jay520 said:

why, i do not see this as a hinderance, it seem's very good that they are being open in the Time frame you can expect the more hardcore experiences to be released on the platform. Microsoft is taking their Time, I think their being realistic in expectation's on how long they need to make sure the Core game experiences for Kinect is ready. It's better than rushing too fast and make some of the software suffer in quality.

Look at Alan Wake as a great example of a great quality game and some may say it took too long but Im glad they put out such a great game. It was far from cookie cutter and that was a bonus if the same thing happen's to Kinect game's as well.

They're coming out in Late 2011/Early 2012.

There's taking your time with stuff and polishing it, but damn, you can not have your big-name games come out that late when other consoles are already being revealed!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I don't mind the concept of motion controls and I'm not judging the games. What I'm judging is the implementation and timing of it all, we're around the apex of the generation for the HD consoles and its too late now imo. And the overall mood towards motion controls has not changed among hardcore gamers, the only coverage Move and Kinect gets is by and for gamers like us who pay attention to E3 and other happenings and the loudest clamour is around these points in the tech media; the Move is pure rip-off of the Wii-mote (mind you, I agree with this halfway) and Kinect has some serious conundrums and woes attached when it comes to implementation in games revolving things besides bowling (to put it bluntly) and the price is just too damn high.

All in all, I don't see Move and Kinect as any more significant than the Eye-toy was then it released, perhaps even less so. They're both built on pre-existing concepts (Eye-toy and Wii-mote) and seem to offer very little as it stands since its basically sheer impulse driven by Nintendo's success with motion controls as a selling point. When you build a console for the hardcore, it seems plain strange to make an abrupt 90 degree turn along the road and suddenly decide to try to catch casual gamers who have little to no interest in the core product itself. I've used this example once before and I'll use it again; I see Kinect and Move as the equivalent of removing the engine from a Ferrari and throwing in a 1.2 litre Nissan Micra engine to make it more accessible (and you sell the Ferrari for the exact same).

Edit; joeorc; by "being honest" they are deterring hardcore fans from buying it, basically stating that they won't be able to use for a couple of years all the while deterring the casuals with a price point that is ludicrous at best. Not a terrific strategy.

Mummelmann said:

I don't mind the concept of motion controls and I'm not judging the games. What I'm judging is the implementation and timing of it all, we're around the apex of the generation for the HD consoles and its too late now imo. And the overall mood towards motion controls has not changed among hardcore gamers, the only coverage Move and Kinect gets is by and for gamers like us who pay attention to E3 and other happenings and the loudest clamour is around these points in the tech media; the Move is pure rip-off of the Wii-mote (mind you, I agree with this halfway) and Kinect has some serious conundrums and woes attached when it comes to implementation in games revolving things besides bowling (to put it bluntly) and the price is just too damn high.

All in all, I don't see Move and Kinect as any more significant than the Eye-toy was then it released, perhaps even less so. They're both built on pre-existing concepts (Eye-toy and Wii-mote) and seem to offer very little as it stands since its basically sheer impulse driven by Nintendo's success with motion controls as a selling point. When you build a console for the hardcore, it seems plain strange to make an abrupt 90 degree turn along the road and suddenly decide to try to catch casual gamers who have little to no interest in the core product itself. I've used this example once before and I'll use it again; I see Kinect and Move as the equivalent of removing the engine from a Ferrari and throwing in a 1.2 litre Nissan Micra engine to make it more accessible (and you sell the Ferrari for the exact same).

Edit; joeorc; by "being honest" they are deterring hardcore fans from buying it, basically stating that they won't be able to use for a couple of years all the while deterring the casuals with a price point that is ludicrous at best. Not a terrific strategy.

i think you are looking at it just in the vaccume of only just the Wii, and How long is this generation going to last? which we can only guess we do not know , but just bcause a new system may get released does not mean support will dry up for the current system's. the fact that Motion control's offer more than just the IDEA of flailing your arm's to control software is what many i think are overlooking.

you may say it's too late in the generation, but if the same control devices can be used with a new machine how would it be too late.. would the Wii motes be able to be used with the New Nintendo Wii or what new console Nintendo will release?

I think it would..so would the Move and Kinect be able to be used with the New xbox an playstation system when they also get released?

Kinect and Move are new added platform's for their game system's such as with the Wii you can still use standard control pad's with the Nintendo Wii to play game's.

Same with the Xbox360 and the Playstation 3.

I think it's more about offering more functionality to the consumer for their platform , more than anything..the fact that you get all these v's what this system offer's and what this system does not offer over the other system proves just that, more consumer's are looking at not just the product's software offering's but also what the capabilities of the product has.

the more functionality that the produt has the more worth the product has in the market , well that's what the companies all hope. by offering Motion control's to the platform you offer the consumer more option's for game's..yes you can say, well both Sony and Microsoft slammed Nintendo about Motion control's well that's one thing about PR. it alway's changes.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Seece said:

So Xmas 2011 they'll launch core kinect games and a price cut (I hope)

A price cut not until Xmas 2011? On Kinect u mean?

I am thinking Kinect will flop and they'll drop to $99 in early next year.

About the X360 Slim, I am still puzzled about the pricing. No X360 pricedrop since August 2008, it's almost two years. I will be disappointed if they don't drop to $150 and $250 for this Holiday.

September 08 - £159 - £129
September 09 - £129 - £159
August 10 - £159 - £149.

It's absurd you could get a 360 cheaper in 2008, than today ...

My personal opinion is that both MS and Sony should have waited with this until the next generation of Xbox and Playstation...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

See ya in 2013, if Microsoft hasn't shoved Kinect by then.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Naum said:

My personal opinion is that both MS and Sony should have waited with this until the next generation of Xbox and Playstation...

i look at it this way why wait, if the same controller could be used on the next machine both use usb, so unless you do not see the next system's not supporting USB, than I would say it's a very good chance the equipment could still be used even in the next system. getting the platform out now just mean's more practice and more software to be able to be used in the next system, including the current system.

not at all a bad thing in my Opinion.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Darth Tigris said:

So were people really expecting a ton of core gaming experiences at launch?  Really?

This was just revealed about a year ago and introduces very different way of gaming.  It takes TRADITIONAL core games some 2-3 years to conceptualize and release, so why would these be ... easier?

Casual gaming at first, just like it was the Wii, should be expected.  If those don't appeal to you, wait.

Uh, the WIi had Twilight Princess (and Red Steel) at launch, with Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 less than a year later, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl only a few months after that.  Four of the best hardcore games this generation were were released for the system well within its first 18 months.

OT:  A peripheral lives and dies on its initial support.  Unless it has software that'll convince people to buy in early on, it will struggle at first, and Microsoft will have a hard time breathing life back into the device later on in the game.  They're relying on casuals to be the early adopters, and with $299 as the base price for a non-360 owner at that. 

They should've taken Nintendo's strategy.  Get the hardcore to opt in for Twilight Princess, then get the casuals on board when the hardcore start showing off Wii Sports to their friends and family.  Had they released this alongside, say, Gears 3, it would've provided them with a decent sized initial install base from which to attract more casual buyers.