By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 18 Month Wait for 'Hardcore' Kinect Games -say's Microsoft EMEA vice prez.

Mummelmann said:

So its a peripheral that costs too much for casuals and has no games for the hardcore? Again I ask myself; what possible reason is there for these HD console motion controls to succeed against the Wii?

because it's not just about the Wii and it's expanded market.

the Wii just like the xbox360 and the PS3 can all benefit from motion control's, unless you only think that Nintendo's the only one that get's any benefit's from motion control's attached to their system.

Looking at the Kinect and Move both have augmented reality wich is a great benefit to the player of some game's on the HD system's that currently the Wii does not offer with it's motion control's. Now that could change and I hope it does, the Wii could benefit by having Augment reality on the Wii for it's game's also.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

So Xmas 2011 they'll launch core kinect games and a price cut (I hope)

joeorc said:
Mummelmann said:

So its a peripheral that costs too much for casuals and has no games for the hardcore? Again I ask myself; what possible reason is there for these HD console motion controls to succeed against the Wii?

the Wii just like the xbox360 and the PS3 can all benefit from motion control's, unless you only think that Nintendo's the only one that get's any benefit's from motion control's attached to their system.

Looking at the Kinect and Move both have augmented reality wich is a great benefit to the player of some game's on the HD system's that currently the Wii does not offer with it's motion control's. Now that could change and I hope it does, the Wii could benefit by having Augment reality on the Wii for it's game's also.

Nintendo adding a camera to the experience? i doubt the Internet could survive the inevitable meltdowns *cough* *copy* *cough*

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

joeorc said:
Mummelmann said:

I'm not saying that motion controls have no merit (despite the fact that I'm not a fan of them in any shape or form), I'm simply stating that Move and Kinect have zero selling points upon launch for either demographic (casual and hardcore). The Move lineup is decent but the controls themselves fail to set themselves apart and the price will be far too high considering you'll need multiple units in order to play with friends. Kinect is way too expensive and has no core offering at all in its infancy. Add to this the fact that the majority of 360 and PS3 owners are generally sceptical about motion controls in general and casuals seem to prefer the Wii at any rate since it was tailor made with motion controls in mind and also costs the least out of the three and you have yourself a recipe for two possible outcomes as I see it, either its going to crash and burn or its going to be mediocre in all ways. I don't see either Kinect nor Move succeeding hugely under any circumstance at this point.  Its kind of like releasing a console without any games; there's absolutely no reason to buy it at all.

Edit; underlined; this is my exact point right there, the Wii-mote is an integral part of the system from the very beginning with developer support and applicable use while the two other are 11th hour tack-on's with nothing but a whaft of desperation permiating the air about them.

Edit; man what a mess! :-O

Around the Network

confirmation of fable3s kinect usage.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Seece said:

So Xmas 2011 they'll launch core kinect games and a price cut (I hope)

A price cut not until Xmas 2011? On Kinect u mean?

I am thinking Kinect will flop and they'll drop to $99 in early next year.

About the X360 Slim, I am still puzzled about the pricing. No X360 pricedrop since August 2008, it's almost two years. I will be disappointed if they don't drop to $150 and $250 for this Holiday.

Hybrid use? 18 months? I can see what's going to be in the next Halo game...they can deny it all they want but that's where this is heading

Halo wars 2 anyone?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Mummelmann said:
joeorc said:
Mummelmann said:

I'm not saying that motion controls have no merit (despite the fact that I'm not a fan of them in any shape or form), I'm simply stating that Move and Kinect have zero selling points upon launch for either demographic (casual and hardcore). The Move lineup is decent but the controls themselves fail to set themselves apart and the price will be far too high considering you'll need multiple units in order to play with friends. Kinect is way too expensive and has no core offering at all in its infancy. Add to this the fact that the majority of 360 and PS3 owners are generally sceptical about motion controls in general and casuals seem to prefer the Wii at any rate since it was tailor made with motion controls in mind and also costs the least out of the three and you have yourself a recipe for two possible outcomes as I see it, either its going to crash and burn or its going to be mediocre in all ways. I don't see either Kinect nor Move succeeding hugely under any circumstance at this point.  Its kind of like releasing a console without any games; there's absolutely no reason to buy it at all.

Edit; bolded; this is my exact point right there, the Wii-mote is an integral part of the system from the very beginning with developer support and applicable use while the two other are 11th hour tack-on's with nothing but a whaft of desperation permiating the air about them.

while i respect your Opinion, I for one see how the control's do infact set them selves apart just from Augmented reality alone and what your able to incorperate into your game from just that standpoint.

now include an RTS with Move control's have already showed what you can do that set's itself apart from what the Wii is able to do.

Now while I see that many Hardcore gamer's were skeptical at first about motion control's, that was when many did not see what software and game experiences can be made from those motion control's.

One thing the Wii proved is there can be many new experiences with Motion control's added to a platform with Game's. Developer's are set in the way's , many CEO's and upper management the same but as you can see that can change an it has.

Tack on is a very strong word if you consider does the EYETOY still work on the PS3?

will the Move still work on the Next playstation, or will the Kinect still work on the next XBOX?

what you may be overlooking , it's not just about the Wii, it's about the very concept of Motion control's and what you can do with them on each of the platform's they all have seperate and unique software to offer to consumer's , an yes there will be over laping software from each platform, bowling come's to mind, but the same could be true there will be software on each platform that you will not find on any of the other platform's.

I see way too many people seem to think, ol that's the same game on that platform that was on the Wii a year ago, how do you know unless you have played the game.

one bowling game is not going to exactly the same as the other's there may infact be something unique to each system's bowling game.

I am not saying it will 100% be unique but i still will wait to try it out to see, instead of jumping pre judgement without playing and trying out the software myself.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I don't mind waiting 18 months as long as they get it right. It's better than rushing out half-assed projects just to try and please core gamers asap.