By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 18 Month Wait for 'Hardcore' Kinect Games -say's Microsoft EMEA vice prez.

Icyedge said:
Mummelmann said:
joeorc said:
Mummelmann said:

So its a peripheral that costs too much for casuals and has no games for the hardcore? Again I ask myself; what possible reason is there for these HD console motion controls to succeed against the Wii?

because it's not just about the Wii and it's expanded market.

the Wii just like the xbox360 and the PS3 can all benefit from motion control's, unless you only think that Nintendo's the only one that get's any benefit's from motion control's attached to their system.

Looking at the Kinect and Move both have augmented reality wich is a great benefit to the player of some game's on the HD system's that currently the Wii does not offer with it's motion control's. Now that could change and I hope it does, the Wii could benefit by having Augment reality on the Wii for it's game's also.

I'm not saying that motion controls have no merit (despite the fact that I'm not a fan of them in any shape or form), I'm simply stating that Move and Kinect have zero selling points upon launch for either demographic (casual and hardcore). The Move lineup is decent but the controls themselves fail to set themselves apart and the price will be far too high considering you'll need multiple units in order to play with friends. Kinect is way too expensive and has no core offering at all in its infancy. Add to this the fact that the majority of 360 and PS3 owners are generally sceptical about motion controls in general and casuals seem to prefer the Wii at any rate since it was tailor made with motion controls in mind and also costs the least out of the three and you have yourself a recipe for two possible outcomes as I see it, either its going to crash and burn or its going to be mediocre in all ways. I don't see either Kinect nor Move succeeding hugely under any circumstance at this point.  Its kind of like releasing a console without any games; there's absolutely no reason to buy it at all.

Edit; underlined; this is my exact point right there, the Wii-mote is an integral part of the system from the very beginning with developer support and applicable use while the two other are 11th hour tack-on's with nothing but a whaft of desperation permiating the air about them.

Your really ready to say anything to back up your taste. Zero selling points upon release... casuals seem to prefer the wii! over unrelease products? Price far too high? Your opinion is very extremist.

The general consensus in here and mostly everywhere else is 150$ is way too much for a peripheral, even the Wii Fit Balance Board was "only" 99$ when it released and Move will be equally costly when one factors in the need for several units. Please, do tell me about the selling points, why would hardcore gamers, who have proclaimed throughout the entire generation that they don't care for motion controls suddely go nuts over it (and bother to shell out 150$ for a product MS tells them they won't be able to use for 18 months or even more for a couple of Move units to play the one or two worthwhile games it will have besides Wii Sports and Wii Plays copies) and why would the casual gamers suddenly start buying consoles that never attracted them before because of optional controllers that cost three-four times as much as standard controllers and some spurr of the moment party games?

My opinion is not extremist, I'm far from the only person in here who feels this way and I have made reasonable deductions and arguments for my point of view. Simply pointing to my post and calling it extremist gets you nowhere, counter the arguments and show me why and how I'm wrong.

PS: What do you mean by "say anything to back up my taste"? That my taste is horrible, that I'm full of shit or that you don't know me at all? See, I don't think you have the slightest idea about my taste.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

The general consensus in here and mostly everywhere else is 150$ is way too much for a peripheral, even the Wii Fit Balance Board was "only" 99$ when it released and Move will be equally costly when one factors in the need for several units. Please, do tell me about the selling points, why would hardcore gamers, who have proclaimed throughout the entire generation that they don't care for motion controls suddely go nuts over it (and bother to shell out 150$ for a product MS tells them they won't be able to use for 18 months or even more for a couple of Move units to play the one or two worthwhile games it will have besides Wii Sports and Wii Plays copies) and why would the casual gamers suddenly start buying consoles that never attracted them before because of optional controllers that cost three-four times as much as standard controllers and some spurr of the moment party games?

My opinion is not extremist, I'm far from the only person in here who feels this way and I have made reasonable deductions and arguments for my point of view. Simply pointing to my post and calling it extremist gets you nowhere, counter the arguments and show me why and how I'm wrong.

PS: What do you mean by "say anything to back up my taste"? That my taste is horrible, that I'm full of shit or that you don't know me at all? See, I don't think you have the slightest idea about my taste.

Your taste isnt a problem. Who am I to judge this. What I was saying is that we dont need to be extremistic in order to justify our tastes (sorry english isnt my main language). Already saying casual prefer Wii over the other 2 is extremist. They arent release. No selling points is also extremist. As example you could have said less selling points. Im not saying your an extremistic person as a whole, I dont know you, what im saying is in that particular argument you were being extremistic. Its not just you, on forum its full of extremistic argument or judgment, its all or nothing, black or white. Life isnt like that, and im sure you dont act like that in your everyday life ; ). At least, I hope :P.