By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2010 NPD Thread (Data for May 2-May 29)

Seece said:
psrock said:

The 360 had a slim version plus a price drop of the older versions. They will release kinect later this year.

Sony : Price drop the PSP to $120, release a slimmer PSP with Mh3 BUNDLE.

Yeah, Kinect, don't underestimate it.

You're also forgetting the 3DS is launching late 10/early 11. 360 doesn't have much thread from Sony/Nintendo coming up.

Also your point about PSP outselling the 360 every year, it's already behind this year, I can't see it pulling ahead. It's 6 years old, a long time for a handheld in this day and age, it's main rival is bringing out a new system and it's doing bad in the worlds strongest market, and pretty sbstandard in the other 2.

For all the kill PSP talk in the internet :

For 2010

360 :   3.37 Million sold

PSP:  3.03 Million sold

Now, the PSP is having the worst year ever, selling no software, and  Sony leaving it to die and yet it's out selling the 360 in two regions. Think what a price cut can do.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

The 360 had a slim version plus a price drop of the older versions. They will release kinect later this year.

You're also forgetting the 3DS is launching late 10/early 11. 360 doesn't have much thread from Sony/Nintendo coming up.

Also your point about PSP outselling the 360 every year, it's already behind this year, I can't see it pulling ahead. It's 6 years old, a long time for a handheld in this day and age, it's main rival is bringing out a new system and it's doing bad in the worlds strongest market, and pretty sbstandard in the other 2.

For 2010

Now, the PSP is having the worst year ever, selling no software, and  Sony leaving it to die and yet it's out selling the 360 in two regions. Think what a price cut can do.

A PSP - DS comparison would be more appropriate...........

ImJustBayuum said:

These May releases didnt make it to the top ten.....OUCH

-Iron Man 2
-Lost Planet 2
-Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
-Split/Second
-Backbreaker
-Blur
-ModNation Racers

But... but.... Mario kart killer......

OT Damn, i cant wait to see the x360 in june/july...is gonna be on fire apparently.

Poor psp =

Is getting a lil bit boring to see DS and Wii on the top.... hurry up X360, get on top

psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

For 2010

The PSP needs more than a price cut, it'll do some damage in Japan, but it won't sustain in the west. Just look at the PS3, it's price cut hasn't exactly propelled it's sales sky high above pre slim sales lately.

Before you say it, I don't think a slim/redesign would be anywhere near enough for the 360, the 360's future relies on Kinect.

For the record though, I don't think PSP should be discontinued, I do think they need to bring the PSP2 out soon, the PSP isn't going to go much further, price cut and redesign (again you never answered my question, it's already had 3, what do you think yet another is going to do) will wear off very quickly.

You're trying to hard to compare the PSP and 360, but their situations are completely different, in terms of what regions they're excelling in, what they actually HAVE coming up, console vs handheld, new competitors (including they're own)

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region.

And it CAN outsell the 360 in another. Even worldwide, sometimes.

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim plus the other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

No. It's not stupid at all. You just think it is.

The PSP is profiting. And it's still selling really well after 5 1/2 years on the market. It's just having TERRIBLE sales in a single region, and as you say... Bad software sales in 2 regions.

And it must be selling enough SW to make it worthwhile, as they keep announcing more and more games for it every year... And 3rd parties are still supporting it. That, and we have no idea how much money is being made through games sold on PSN.

All it needs is a pricecut (when was the last time it actually had one?) and/or another redesign. It will be back to selling well again. Sony are just dumb, and lost focus on the thing all together for a year or two.

Around the Network
ImJustBayuum said:

These May releases didnt make it to the top ten.....OUCH

-Iron Man 2
-Lost Planet 2
-Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
-Split/Second
-Backbreaker
-Blur
-ModNation Racers

Modnation Racers was in the Top 15, while neither Blur nor Split/Second managed to reach the Top 30.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1103488p1.html

Seece said:

The PSP needs more than a price cut, it'll do some damage in Japan, but it won't sustain in the west. Just look at the PS3, it's price cut hasn't exactly propelled it's sales sky high above pre slim sales lately.

Before you say it, I don't think a slim/redesign would be anywhere near enough for the 360, the 360's future relies on Kinect.

For the record though, I don't think PSP should be discontinued, I do think they need to bring the PSP2 out soon, the PSP isn't going to go much further, price cut and redesign (again you never answered my question, it's already had 3, what do you think yet another is going to do) will wear off very quickly.

You're trying to hard to compare the PSP and 360, but their situations are completely different, in terms of what regions they're excelling in, what they actually HAVE coming up, console vs handheld, new competitors (including they're own)

I agree that Sony needs to bring the PSP2 soon, the competition has already revealed their next version.

We don't know Sony's plans though, I will wait and see. I expect the 360 to ride the summer on a good note. Kinect will do well.  But, some of you are expecting so much and will be so disapointed.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region.

And it CAN outsell the 360 in another. Even worldwide, sometimes.

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim plus the other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

No. It's not stupid at all. You just think it is.

The PSP is profiting. And it's still selling really well after 5 1/2 years on the market. It's just having TERRIBLE sales in a single region, and as you say... Bad software sales in 2 regions.

And it must be selling enough SW to make it worthwhile, as they keep announcing more and more games for it every year... And 3rd parties are still supporting it. That, and we have no idea how much money is being made through games sold on PSN.

All it needs is a pricecut (when was the last time it actually had one?) and/or another redesign. It will be back to selling well again. Sony are just dumb, and lost focus on the thing all together for a year or two.

Carl, I said this was stupid "Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region." You can't base how well a console is doing just by what other consoles it's beating in a region, when all the consoles you mentioned in that region are doing bad as well. It IS a stupid thing to say.

The rest of what you said, I didn't call stupid, and I agree with some of it. Like always though you're painting it in the best light possible, do you honestly think everytime they redesign the console and give it a price cut sales are going to jump massively to where they were before? it's 6 years old and it doesn't have anything like Kinect coming out. If the 3DS comes out in the west this xmas, that's going to spell serious problems for the PSP.

psrock said:
Seece said:

I agree that Sony needs to bring the PSP2 soon, the competition has already revealed their next version.

We don't know Sony's plans though, I will wait and see. I expect the 360 to ride the summer on a good note. Kinect will do well.  But, some of you are expecting so much and will be so disapointed.

I'm not 100% sure Kinect will do well, I hope it does, it's set up to. It could just as well fail though, I can see that happening too. However don't go assuming it's going to not live up to people's expectations.

NINTENDO DS AND WII TOP U.S. VIDEO GAME HARDWARE SALES IN MAY

July 1, 2010

Nintendo's video game systems again increased their lead versus other platforms in May, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game industry sales in the United States. The Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems took the top hardware spot with more than 383,000 sold, with sales representing more than 86 percent of all hand-held gaming platform units sold during the month. Nintendo's Wii™ home console followed at No. 2 with more than 334,000 sold.

Four of the top 10 best-selling games of May play on Nintendo systems. These include Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 at No. 3 with more than 563,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 6 with more than 183,000 sold, Wii Fit Plus with the Wii Balance Board at No. 7 with more than 161,000 sold and Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 8 with more than 141,000 sold.

"These May results show that consumers are really responding to the value proposition of our new Wii configuration that now includes Wii Sports Resort and a Wii MotionPlus accessory," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "May also saw the launch of two great games: Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii and Picross 3D for Nintendo DS. They preface the steady drumbeat of big games for the second half of 2010 we announced at the E3 Expo that will keep fans engaged and having fun."

Nintendo launched Sin & Punishment™: Star Successor for Wii on June 27. Other Wii games on the horizon include Metroid™: Other M launching on Aug. 31, Samurai Warriors™ 3 on Sept. 27, Kirby's Epic Yarn™ and Wii Party™ this fall, and Donkey Kong Country™ Returns, FlingSmash™ and PokéPark™ Wii: Pikachu's Adventure for the holidays.

For the Nintendo DS family of systems, Nintendo launched 100 Classic Books on June 14. Dragon Quest® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies launches July 11, followed by Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™ on Sept. 20, Pokémon Ranger™: Guardian Signs this fall and both Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem for the holidays.

Position 8 was 141,000 - Top Ten likely cut off at 120,000 or so...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu