By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2010 NPD Thread (Data for May 2-May 29)

Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

Again, what's going to change?

? I just said, potentially others. Exactly what expecatations do you think people have? I think most are looking past what regions 360 will be ahead in ....

Gran Turismo 5 ?

That's not going to have as big an impact as Kinect IF kinect succeeds. If Kinect is a hit it should sell well into the next year. GT5 will do well for the PS3 over the holiday season though.

The thing is I KNOW GT5 is going to be big, you are still using "IF" for Kinect, and you guys think the 360 is going to beat the PS3 in others.

the biggest Kinect nightmare = Bundle GT5

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

Again, what's going to change?

? I just said, potentially others. Exactly what expecatations do you think people have? I think most are looking past what regions 360 will be ahead in ....

Gran Turismo 5 ?

That's not going to have as big an impact as Kinect IF kinect succeeds. If Kinect is a hit it should sell well into the next year. GT5 will do well for the PS3 over the holiday season though.

The thing is I KNOW GT5 is going to be big, you are still using "IF" for Kinect, and you guys think the 360 is going to beat the PS3 in others.

the biggest Kinect nightmare = Bundle GT5

I already stated potentially, I'm not going to say Kinect will or won't beat PS3 in others. Yes PS3 will be big in others, but you don't know how big Kinect wil be in Others.

Isn't the USA and UK the biggest regions for the 360.

Just want to play good games

red_dragon said:

Isn't the USA and UK the biggest regions for the 360.

Yeah?

I'm a bit baffled everytime I see people comparing the 360 and the PSP...

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

The 360 had a slim version plus a price drop of the older versions. They will release kinect later this year.

Sony : Price drop the PSP to $120, release a slimmer PSP with Mh3 BUNDLE.

Yeah, Kinect, don't underestimate it.

You're also forgetting the 3DS is launching late 10/early 11. 360 doesn't have much thread from Sony/Nintendo coming up.

Also your point about PSP outselling the 360 every year, it's already behind this year, I can't see it pulling ahead. It's 6 years old, a long time for a handheld in this day and age, it's main rival is bringing out a new system and it's doing bad in the worlds strongest market, and pretty sbstandard in the other 2.

For all the kill PSP talk in the internet :

For 2010

360 :   3.37 Million sold

PSP:  3.03 Million sold

Now, the PSP is having the worst year ever, selling no software, and  Sony leaving it to die and yet it's out selling the 360 in two regions. Think what a price cut can do.

The PSP needs more than a price cut, it'll do some damage in Japan, but it won't sustain in the west. Just look at the PS3, it's price cut hasn't exactly propelled it's sales sky high above pre slim sales lately.

Before you say it, I don't think a slim/redesign would be anywhere near enough for the 360, the 360's future relies on Kinect.

For the record though, I don't think PSP should be discontinued, I do think they need to bring the PSP2 out soon, the PSP isn't going to go much further, price cut and redesign (again you never answered my question, it's already had 3, what do you think yet another is going to do) will wear off very quickly.

You're trying to hard to compare the PSP and 360, but their situations are completely different, in terms of what regions they're excelling in, what they actually HAVE coming up, console vs handheld, new competitors (including they're own)

RE: "The 360's future relies on KInect", I think everybody is just totally forgetting how overdue a 360 price cut is. It's sad really. Remember when the PS3 slim came out, it was also paired with $100 cut! 360 slim came with $0 cut and has still done pretty well.

It seems Kinect has totally screwed up microsoft's price drop schedule. If Kinect didn't exist I'm quite sure 360 would be at 159/249 or lower no later than this fall. As is, who knows. But the point is with a price drop on slim, 360 sales would be way higher, and very strong. Everything MS is doing needs to be viewed in light of the fact 360 is way overpriced right now.

I mean I dont know at what point MS managed to convince us all that 360 and PS3 are supposed to be the same price (for the same hard drive size), considering until recently PS3 came with free Blu Ray, free online, and free wi-fi while 360 had none of that (at least it's got wi-fi now). It's absurd if you think back to the beginning of the generation when it was 599 PS3, people would have thought if they were the same price PS3 would totally destroy 360. But here a few years later, they are the same price.

Basically I'm saying MS needs a price cut, if they do it will cause sales to increase a lot regardless of kinect, and one might be coming this fall.

Vgchartz overtracked PS3 and undertracked 360 again...not by a lot but still. I could have predicted that...it rather throws the weekly worldwide tallies into question going forward imo.

Wii shows continued weakness, Mario Galaxy 2, I thought would probably be #1, it actually wasn't even close, was outsold by RDR 3-1. Other than that Wii just had a couple software in the bottom of the top ten not selling much. At least Wii hardware was a little stronger than usual, though not even to beat the HDtwins combined.

fallen said:

Vgchartz overtracked PS3 and undertracked 360 again...not by a lot but still. I could have predicted that...it rather throws the weekly worldwide tallies into question imo.

Wii shows continued weakness, Mario Galaxy 2, I thought would probably be #1, it actually wasn't even close, was outsold by RDR 3-1. Other than that Wii just had a couple software in the bottom of the top ten not selling much. At least Wii hardware was a little stronger than usual, though not even to beat the HDtwins combined.

Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down some. It's not like VGC has some agenda here.

Although, if VGC's Others numbers are on target, the PS3 may have trouble in the holidays. With Europe falling apart like it is, and America seeing better sales than ever, it's easily possible for the second half of 2010 going to MS.

As for the Wii, it's still selling on pace, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's still above the what the PS2 was selling at (250k in May 2004). Others / EU is where it's really struggling at the moment.

Carl2291 said:

And it must be selling enough SW to make it worthwhile, as they keep announcing more and more games for it every year... And 3rd parties are still supporting it. That, and we have no idea how much money is being made through games sold on PSN.

If you like Japanese Monster Hunter clones maybe.  Western support is basically done at this point, especially after the last fall's 3rd party push utterly failed.   Japanese support seems to be moving almost wholesale to 3DS, even for games from developers that would naturally be assumed go to PSP rather than DS (RE from Capcom, KH from SE Osaka, MGS from Kojipro, DOA from Team Ninja, Musou from Omega Force, SF from Dimps, etc, etc).

Japan's future PSP lineup is looking more and more like it's exclusively high budget MH-clones and and adv/galgame shovelware.  The only real recently announced exception I can think of is the Yakuza spinoff.  Not exactly the sort of well rounded support you'd normally expect to see on a 15m userbase...

Top 11-20 UP

11. Lost Planet 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360)
12. New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo, DS)
13. Pokemon Heartgold (Nintendo, DS)
14. God of War III (Sony Santa Monica, PS3)
15. Just Dance (Ubisoft, Wii)
16. Mario Kart, with wheel (Nintendo, Wii)
17. Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom, PS3)
18. ModNation Racers (United Front/Sony, PS3)
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward/Activision, Xbox 360)
20. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii)

Link