By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2010 NPD Thread (Data for May 2-May 29)

Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

The PSP needs more than a price cut, it'll do some damage in Japan, but it won't sustain in the west. Just look at the PS3, it's price cut hasn't exactly propelled it's sales sky high above pre slim sales lately.

Before you say it, I don't think a slim/redesign would be anywhere near enough for the 360, the 360's future relies on Kinect.

For the record though, I don't think PSP should be discontinued, I do think they need to bring the PSP2 out soon, the PSP isn't going to go much further, price cut and redesign (again you never answered my question, it's already had 3, what do you think yet another is going to do) will wear off very quickly.

You're trying to hard to compare the PSP and 360, but their situations are completely different, in terms of what regions they're excelling in, what they actually HAVE coming up, console vs handheld, new competitors (including they're own)

I agree that Sony needs to bring the PSP2 soon, the competition has already revealed their next version.

We don't know Sony's plans though, I will wait and see. I expect the 360 to ride the summer on a good note. Kinect will do well.  But, some of you are expecting so much and will be so disapointed.

I'm not 100% sure Kinect will do well, I hope it does, it's set up to. It could just as well fail though, I can see that happening too. However don't go assuming it's going to not live up to people's expectations.

What is the expectation?

i don't see what's going to be so different this year versus every year.

360 beat PS3 in NA

PS3 beats 360 in Japan/Others.

Whatis going to change?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

The PSP needs more than a price cut, it'll do some damage in Japan, but it won't sustain in the west. Just look at the PS3, it's price cut hasn't exactly propelled it's sales sky high above pre slim sales lately.

Before you say it, I don't think a slim/redesign would be anywhere near enough for the 360, the 360's future relies on Kinect.

For the record though, I don't think PSP should be discontinued, I do think they need to bring the PSP2 out soon, the PSP isn't going to go much further, price cut and redesign (again you never answered my question, it's already had 3, what do you think yet another is going to do) will wear off very quickly.

You're trying to hard to compare the PSP and 360, but their situations are completely different, in terms of what regions they're excelling in, what they actually HAVE coming up, console vs handheld, new competitors (including they're own)

I agree that Sony needs to bring the PSP2 soon, the competition has already revealed their next version.

We don't know Sony's plans though, I will wait and see. I expect the 360 to ride the summer on a good note. Kinect will do well.  But, some of you are expecting so much and will be so disapointed.

I'm not 100% sure Kinect will do well, I hope it does, it's set up to. It could just as well fail though, I can see that happening too. However don't go assuming it's going to not live up to people's expectations.

What is the expectation?

360 beat PS3 in NA

Whatis going to change?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Kinect's success. 360 did pretty well against the PS3 in Others in 2008, if Kinect did catch on, I wouldn't rule out it beating the PS3 there. Although I think that's unlikely.

Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

What is the expectation?

360 beat PS3 in NA

Whatis going to change?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Kinect's success. 360 did pretty well against the PS3 in Others in 2008, if Kinect did catch on, I wouldn't rule out it beating the PS3 there. Although I think that's unlikely.

Again, what's going to change?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Shocked at how poorly Alan Wake is selling.

Even when this week's SW sales for America come in, it'll still have sold less after 6 weeks in America and 2 months in EMEA (and 5 weeks in Japan) than what Heavy Rain sold in its opening week.

Fingers crossed it has legs, so that Remedy are allowed to have a crack at a sequel.

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region.

And it CAN outsell the 360 in another. Even worldwide, sometimes.

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim plus the other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

No. It's not stupid at all. You just think it is.

The PSP is profiting. And it's still selling really well after 5 1/2 years on the market. It's just having TERRIBLE sales in a single region, and as you say... Bad software sales in 2 regions.

And it must be selling enough SW to make it worthwhile, as they keep announcing more and more games for it every year... And 3rd parties are still supporting it. That, and we have no idea how much money is being made through games sold on PSN.

All it needs is a pricecut (when was the last time it actually had one?) and/or another redesign. It will be back to selling well again. Sony are just dumb, and lost focus on the thing all together for a year or two.

Carl, I said this was stupid "Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region." You can't base how well a console is doing just by what other consoles it's beating in a region, when all the consoles you mentioned in that region are doing bad as well. It IS a stupid thing to say.

The rest of what you said, I didn't call stupid, and I agree with some of it. Like always though you're painting it in the best light possible, do you honestly think everytime they redesign the console and give it a price cut sales are going to jump massively to where they were before? it's 6 years old and it doesn't have anything like Kinect coming out. If the 3DS comes out in the west this xmas, that's going to spell serious problems for the PSP.

Fair enough, apologies. But still, i don't think it's stupid at all. Even if they decide to stop selling them in America, they could keep it alive in Japan for a decent amount of time yet IMO. It gets loads of SW released over there... And it makes profit. It's not stupid at all. It would be stupid to kill it now, actually.

No. And i never said that. It will no way sell as well as it has done in previous years... But it will definately give sales a helping hand for at least a short while.

As for the 3DS, i actually think it will harm the DS line more than it will harm the PSP... Depending on how it's priced, and how the DS line is also priced post-3DS release.

If it keeps the 3DS name, I think the general public will likely think it's just the next version of DS. DSi/XL sales will drop... And the big focus will be on 3DS. Not DSi. Especially if it has games like 2D Mario, Brain Training and so on to go along with Nintendogs 2.

Yes. It will harm the PSP. But i don't think it will harm it THAT much that it will need to die. With the games lined up for later this year, I think Sony will give it one final big push before the PSP2/Phone/Whatever releases next year.

Around the Network
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

What is the expectation?

360 beat PS3 in NA

Whatis going to change?

? I just said, potentially others. Exactly what expecatations do you think people have? I think most are looking past what regions 360 will be ahead in ....

Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

What is the expectation?

360 beat PS3 in NA

Whatis going to change?

? I just said, potentially others. Exactly what expecatations do you think people have? I think most are looking past what regions 360 will be ahead in ....

Gran Turismo 5 ?

Next Gen 

Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

No. It's not stupid at all. You just think it is.

The PSP is profiting. And it's still selling really well after 5 1/2 years on the market. It's just having TERRIBLE sales in a single region, and as you say... Bad software sales in 2 regions.

And it must be selling enough SW to make it worthwhile, as they keep announcing more and more games for it every year... And 3rd parties are still supporting it. That, and we have no idea how much money is being made through games sold on PSN.

All it needs is a pricecut (when was the last time it actually had one?) and/or another redesign. It will be back to selling well again. Sony are just dumb, and lost focus on the thing all together for a year or two.

Carl, I said this was stupid "Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region." You can't base how well a console is doing just by what other consoles it's beating in a region, when all the consoles you mentioned in that region are doing bad as well. It IS a stupid thing to say.

The rest of what you said, I didn't call stupid, and I agree with some of it. Like always though you're painting it in the best light possible, do you honestly think everytime they redesign the console and give it a price cut sales are going to jump massively to where they were before? it's 6 years old and it doesn't have anything like Kinect coming out. If the 3DS comes out in the west this xmas, that's going to spell serious problems for the PSP.

Fair enough, apologies. But still, i don't think it's stupid at all. Even if they decide to stop selling them in America, they could keep it alive in Japan for a decent amount of time yet IMO. It gets loads of SW released over there... And it makes profit. It's not stupid at all. It would be stupid to kill it now, actually.

No. And i never said that. It will no way sell as well as it has done in previous years... But it will definately give sales a helping hand for at least a short while.

As for the 3DS, i actually think it will harm the DS line more than it will harm the PSP... Depending on how it's priced, and how the DS line is also priced post-3DS release.

If it keeps the 3DS name, I think the general public will likely think it's just the next version of DS. DSi/XL sales will drop... And the big focus will be on 3DS. Not DSi. Especially if it has games like 2D Mario, Brain Training and so on to go along with Nintendogs 2.

Yes. It will harm the PSP. But i don't think it will harm it THAT much that it will need to die. With the games lined up for later this year, I think Sony will give it one final big push before the PSP2/Phone/Whatever releases next year.

And I agree, I don't think PSP needs to be discontinued yet.

I don't think the public are as dense as you make out, word of mouth has worked wonders for Nintendo's systems, I expect no less from the 3DS, IF it lives up to the hype, and turns out to be a decent product with no hiccups, the worlds it's oyster, it'll affect ALL handhelds in Japan, DS range and PSP. Right now all Sony can really do is a PSP2.

psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:

Gran Turismo 5 ?

That's not going to have as big an impact as Kinect IF kinect succeeds. If Kinect is a hit it should sell well into the next year. GT5 will do well for the PS3 over the holiday season though.

And Nintendo gave "teh graphics"