By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2010 NPD Thread (Data for May 2-May 29)

psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region.

And it CAN outsell the 360 in another. Even worldwide, sometimes.

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

How many regions is the 360 outselling the PSP?

One? but like I said, that's no reason to keep the 360 alive. The reason to keep the 360 alive is what it has coming up that's going to put it very firmly ahead of the PSP in Others/ America's

Another thing, whilst we're talking about this "one region" thing, whilst I stand by what I just said, nobody can ignore the sheer size difference between America and Japan in HW sales for all 3 (even at christmas)

Around the Network
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

One? but like I said, that's no reason to keep the 360 alive. The reason to keep the 360 alive is what it has coming up that's going to put it very firmly ahead of the PSP in Others/ America's

Another thing, whilst we're talking about this "one region" thing, whilst I stand by what I just said, nobody can ignore the sheer size difference between America and Japan in HW sales for all 3 (even at christmas)

Why do you guys talk as if MS is the only one that can do things.  We were having the same conversation about the PS3 last year. Monster Hunter is coming this year you know.

The PSP needs a  refresh too, and has always outsold the 360 every year. It needs a price cut badly. It feels old. The problem the 360 is it can only sell well in 2 regions while every other console can do well everywhere.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Why do you guys talk as if MS is the only one that can do things.  We were having the same conversation about the PS3 last year. Monster Hunter is coming this year you know.

The PSP needs a  refresh too, and has always outsold the 360 every year. It needs a price cut badly. It feels old. The problem the 360 is it can only sell well in 2 regions while every other console can do well everywhere.

Are you saying they should keep it alive because a game is releasing this year?

psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

hey, I believe there are things Sony CAN do to reinvigourate the PSP, but I don't believe they will actually do them.

A price cut and redesign is what is needed at the least, that alone will probably only keep it slightly below flat in the west though. Short of releasing a 3D add on, I don't know what they can do on the level of what the 360 is, that could potentially change the game.

and, I believe Sony are working on the PSP2 for a 2011 release, so I don't think any PSP plans are going to give the PSP a boost of any significance, like I said, one last final design, and a price cut.

Edit - didn't see the last part!

The PSP has already had 3 refreshes, what sort of refresh do you mean? a total overhaul? If they're going to do that they might as well bring out a PSP2 (which they probably are)

The 360 not selling well in Japan doesn't mean much, when sales in Japan are as low as they are, they're becoming more and more irrelevent by the day.

Right now the highest home console there is below 20k ... speaks a lot for the market.

MANUELF said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

America and Japan in HW sales for all 3 (even at christmas)

Are you saying they should keep it alive because a game is releasing this year?

I am saying you did not read my post.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim plus the other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

Exactly. It's not so much the hardware that's terrible for the PSP, but the software. And the software is what drives most profit, so if you're software sales are as bad as PSPs, you're not in a great position.

These May releases didnt make it to the top ten.....OUCH

-Iron Man 2
-Lost Planet 2
-Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
-Split/Second
-Backbreaker
-Blur
-ModNation Racers

Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

hey, I believe there are things Sony CAN do to reinvigourate the PSP, but I don't believe they will actually do them.

A price cut and redesign is what is needed at the least, that alone will probably only keep it slightly below flat in the west though. Short of releasing a 3D add on, I don't know what they can do on the level of what the 360 is, that could potentially change the game.

and, I believe Sony are working on the PSP2 for a 2011 release, so I don't think any PSP plans are going to give the PSP a boost of any significance, like I said, one last final design, and a price cut.

The PSP has already had 3 refreshes, what sort of refresh do you mean? a total overhaul? If they're going to do that they might as well bring out a PSP2 (which they probably are)

The 360 not selling well in Japan doesn't mean much, when sales in Japan are as low as they are, they're becoming more and more irrelevent by the day.

Right now the highest home console there is below 20k ... speaks a lot for the market.

The 360 had a slim version plus a price drop of the older versions. They will release kinect later this year.

Sony : Price drop the PSP to $120, release a slimmer PSP with Mh3 BUNDLE.

Next Gen 

psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

The 360 had a slim version plus a price drop of the older versions. They will release kinect later this year.

Sony : Price drop the PSP to $120, release a slimmer PSP with Mh3 BUNDLE.

Yeah, Kinect, don't underestimate it.

You're also forgetting the 3DS is launching late 10/early 11. 360 doesn't have much thread from Sony/Nintendo coming up.

Also your point about PSP outselling the 360 every year, it's already behind this year, I can't see it pulling ahead. It's 6 years old, a long time for a handheld in this day and age, it's main rival is bringing out a new system and it's doing bad in the worlds strongest market, and pretty sbstandard in the other 2.

Poor PSP...how sad