By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2010 NPD Thread (Data for May 2-May 29)

M.U.G.E.N said:
RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Why? :S they are still up YoY by a nice amount

It's easy to talk about growth when you are working off of a very low base.

I don't get it..in it's strongest region the xbox has around 40k lead...both the xbox and ps3 had an increase of 20k or so...ps3 was 130k vs xbox 175k a gap of 45k last year...the gap has decreased and that is also not a 'very' low base...if then the xbox had a low base also..

or am I misunderstanding something here?

Yes, you are misunderstanding two things:

1) What I was refering to is the YoY growth of the PS3 you mentioned in the post I responded to. Before the Slim and price cut the PS3 was doing terrible in 2009, so it's no surprise at all that it's up YoY at this point.

2) "The gap has decreased.", that goes only for the gap by which the PS3 gets outsold by the 360 monthly. In overall sales though, the 360's lead is still growing, so the gap is increasing every month. Sony just doesn't lose by as much as they used to, that's all.

Less worse than they used to is still = a good thing

I said that to a comment saying the ps3 is doing 'horribly' on HW which is BS....it's doing just fine, with almost no major exclusive releases it still has an increase YoY, no matter what the reason is, it's not a horrible, it's actually good

I just think that the 'analysts' sometimes jump the gun here...NPD themselves said the ps3 has increased healthily...so the bottom line is NO, it's not selling HORRIBLY in it's weakest region

I think the point was that PS3 has had a new model and price cut since then. It has had some great games release on it to. May 2009 was a pretty boring month. 360 had no price cut, no new model but yet was still up yoy, it was not by much though. So i think what they are trying to say is, is it really good for PS3 to pretty much match the same numbers as last year when so much has happened for it to help boost sales? These sales would indicate the mode/price cut has now worn off in US.

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Why? :S they are still up YoY by a nice amount

It's easy to talk about growth when you are working off of a very low base.

I don't get it..in it's strongest region the xbox has around 40k lead...both the xbox and ps3 had an increase of 20k or so...ps3 was 130k vs xbox 175k a gap of 45k last year...the gap has decreased and that is also not a 'very' low base...if then the xbox had a low base also..

or am I misunderstanding something here?

1) What I was refering to is the YoY growth of the PS3 you mentioned in the post I responded to. Before the Slim and price cut the PS3 was doing terrible in 2009, so it's no surprise at all that it's up YoY at this point.

2) "The gap has decreased.", that goes only for the gap by which the PS3 gets outsold by the 360 monthly. In overall sales though, the 360's lead is still growing, so the gap is increasing every month. Sony just doesn't lose by as much as they used to, that's all.

I said that to a comment saying the ps3 is doing 'horribly' on HW which is BS....it's doing just fine, with almost no major exclusive releases it still has an increase YoY, no matter what the reason is, it's not a horrible, it's actually good

I just think that the 'analysts' sometimes jump the gun here...NPD themselves said the ps3 has increased healthily...so the bottom line is NO, it's not selling HORRIBLY in it's weakest region

I think the point was that PS3 has had a new model and price cut since then. It has had some great games release on it to. May 2009 was a pretty boring month. 360 had no price cut, no new model but yet was still up yoy, it was not by much though. So i think what they are trying to say is, is it really good for PS3 to pretty much match the same numbers as last year when so much has happened for it to help boost sales? These sales would indicate the mode/price cut has now worn off in US.

did you see the sw numbers last year? top 5 titles all had above 300k...this time there are three big titles with one being a big console exclusive but the rest are boring, if anything this year the line up was pretty dull in May

it's an increase of around 20k for the month in it's weakest region, doesn't matter how anyone tries to spin it, these are not 'horrible' numbers

the 360 was already cheaper back then, with all the bundling and offers it was even cheaper this month...so if anything, in it's strongest region, with titles like AW etc. the box did just ok :)

it did well on the sw and accessaory parts tho for certain

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
RolStoppable said:

Adding another point to the list:

3) The post you originally responded to was talking about Sony hardware, not the PS3 specifically. The PSP is not selling well, I think everyone would agree on that.

The PS3 isn't doing all that great either, considering all the things it had going for it since September of last year. Microsoft did almost nothing since then, yet the 360 is still outselling the PS3 comfortably.

While it's true that the PS3 numbers don't look bad when compared to previous numbers it pulled off, it's wrong to ignore the conditions under which those sales were achieved.

sorry but I think your ignoring some facts there also...the box was already cheaper back then, it was even cheaper with bundling and other offers in the past few months...the ps3 had no such thing while recovering from supply issues as well...it's a 20k something increase in HW in it's weakest region while in these conditions the xbox did better but still not as good as last year in it's strongest region...so agreed it's kinda wrong to 'ignore' the conditions...only of xbox

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

People get worried about PSP in America? C'mon guys Did you forget Sony's secret weapon?

Another interesting to point out is that may 2010 has actually been the best may on record for 360.

However PS3 is down quite a bit from it's 208k it sold in may 2008.

Around the Network

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/80745/npd-tallies-may-2010-video-game-sales-in-the-usa-market/

I've used pricing inference to estimate what PS2 sold this month and listed hw totals for 2010 in the USA, and LTD.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Can we bury the PSP yet?

MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Not while it's still outselling the Wii, the PS3 and the 360 in a region.

And it CAN outsell the 360 in another. Even worldwide, sometimes.

Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim plus the other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
MANUELF said:

Can we bury the PSP yet?

Stupid response, one region is no reason to keep a console alive.

If it wasn't for Kinect and the slim other efforts Microsoft have coming up, I would say the same about the 360.

PSP doesn't have that though, and winning over other consoles (in the smallest region I must note) is no reason to keep a failing system alive.

and if you STILL want to nitpick, 360 SW is vastly ahead of PSP, another reason to keep a system alive ... if it actually sells enough SW to make it worthwhile.

How many regions is the 360 outselling the PSP?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)