By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash 3D Glasses

Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that (and they actually never really were able to do that).

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

Yeah, Sony were never able to do that.  Not even with the 3.5" Floppy Discs, Compact-Discs, SPDIF, and Blu-Ray...

Seriously.  That's bad faith and ignorance if I ever saw any.

3.5 inch floppy discs were an IBM product, Sony introduced their own proprietary format that was short lived.

Sony and Phillips co-operated to produce the CD; and at the time Phillips would have been the larger of the two companies that was the major force behind it. Sony also introduced their own proprietary format, the Mini Disc, which lived a long life in obscurity.

Sony and Phillips followed up the CD with the SACD, which was a higher resolution audio format that was short lived.

SPDIF is a connector format and I doubt 95% of people you asked on the street would know what SPDIF was.

DVD was a format that was pushed by a wide consortium, Sony introduced their own proprietary format (UMD) that was short lived.

Blu-Ray is pushed by a wide consortium (not as wide as DVD) and can not be said to be popular with the masses yet.

I'm not trying to bash Sony here, but they have an amazing track record of introducing formats which are unsuccessful.

With that said, the glasses free technology that the 3DS is based on is (probably) the technology that people will eventually choose to buy into; but the technology (probably) will require 5 to 10 years of development before it is well suited to usage in the living room. What this means is that 3D in the living room will depend on glasses for quite some time; and I suspect will remain a niche product for quite some time

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that (and they actually never really were able to do that).

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

Yeah, Sony were never able to do that.  Not even with the 3.5" Floppy Discs, Compact-Discs, SPDIF, and Blu-Ray...

3.5 inch floppy discs were an IBM product, Sony introduced their own proprietary format that was short lived.

Sony and Phillips co-operated to produce the CD; and at the time Phillips would have been the larger of the two companies that was the major force behind it. Sony also introduced their own proprietary format, the Mini Disc, which lived a long life in obscurity.

Sony and Phillips followed up the CD with the SACD, which was a higher resolution audio format that was short lived.

SPDIF is a connector format and I doubt 95% of people you asked on the street would know what SPDIF was.

DVD was a format that was pushed by a wide consortium, Sony introduced their own proprietary format (UMD) that was short lived.

Blu-Ray is pushed by a wide consortium (not as wide as DVD) and can not be said to be popular with the masses yet.

I'm not trying to bash Sony here, but they have an amazing track record of introducing formats which are unsuccessful.

With that said, the glasses free technology that the 3DS is based on is (probably) the technology that people will eventually choose to buy into; but the technology (probably) will require 5 to 10 years of development before it is well suited to usage in the living room. What this means is that 3D in the living room will depend on glasses for quite some time; and I suspect will remain a niche product for quite some time

I'm amazed. You' managed to bash Sony's proprietary formats without once mentioning betamax. Is that me showing my age?

OT: I'm with Nintendo on this one. 3D will remain niche (at home) for as long as people need the glasses. Everyone in a room will need glasses for 3D and if you have a large group over to watch a film/play a game then everyone is going to need to buy these expensive and somewhat annoying glasses. Not to mention some people who wear glasses already aren't going to want to wear an extra pair on top. 

Research the tech to do it without the glasses; then it'll hit the mainstream.

Scoobes said:
HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

I'm amazed. You' managed to bash Sony's proprietary formats without once mentioning betamax. Is that me showing my age?

OT: I'm with Nintendo on this one. 3D will remain niche (at home) for as long as people need the glasses. Everyone in a room will need glasses for 3D and if you have a large group over to watch a film/play a game then everyone is going to need to buy these expensive and somewhat annoying glasses. Not to mention some people who wear glasses already aren't going to want to wear an extra pair on top. 

Research the tech to do it without the glasses; then it'll hit the mainstream.

Betamax survived quite well in its own little niche, but wasn't that popular as a home product

I can't lie, it seems like Sony bawing over the fact that their latest tech which they've been pouring money into is being rendered in jeopardy by Nintendo before it goes anywhere. Nintendo focuses on removal of the glasses, so Sony counters with a "you need glasses for the true experience" bit, in an attempt to salvage their own tech. That's why they don't want Nintendo bashing glasses- they stand to lose millions of dollars if the current 3DTV falls flat.

(Oh, and as an aside for Sony's formats, don't forget other failures such as Betamax.)

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

Sony created the 3.5" floppy disc.  I don't know what your source is.  IBM invented the floppy disc.  Not the 3.5" version of it (you know, the one that got mainstream and became the standard until just a few years ago).

SPDIF may be a connector format, but that's the connector that is on most sound systems, most modern TVs and even game consoles (PS2 and PS3) to deliver full 5.1 through only one cable.   Ask anyone what SPDIF stands for, and you're right, not a lot of people will know.  Ask them if they have a Digital Audio Output or Input on their audio-video components, and I'm sure the ratio will be much higher.

That Sony went into a joint venture with an other company is irrelevent.  The point still stand that their products made it to the mainstream and became standards.

It's like saying that Nintendo aren't the ones bringing glasses-less 3D to the mainstream since it is Sharp that is providing the screens. ¬_¬

And as far as I know, Blu-Ray is the physical HD movie format standard right now.

Again, the point isn't to say that all that they developed made it to the mainstream.  The point is that it is not true to say that they were never able to create products that became standards and achieved mainstream adoption.

Around the Network
dunno001 said:

I can't lie, it seems like Sony bawing over the fact that their latest tech which they've been pouring money into is being rendered in jeopardy by Nintendo before it goes anywhere. Nintendo focuses on removal of the glasses, so Sony counters with a "you need glasses for the true experience" bit, in an attempt to salvage their own tech. That's why they don't want Nintendo bashing glasses- they stand to lose millions of dollars if the current 3DTV falls flat.

(Oh, and as an aside for Sony's formats, don't forget other failures such as Betamax.)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I also see a chink in the armor when the guy goes into promoting 3D together...what?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Hynad said:
HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

Sony created the 3.5" floppy disc.  I don't know what your source is.  IBM invented the floppy disc.  Not the 3.5" version of it (you know, the one that got mainstream and became the standard until just a few years ago).

SPDIF may be a connector format, but that's the connector that is on most sound system, TVs and even game consoles (PS2 and PS3) to deliver full 5.1 through only one cable.   Ask anyone what SPDIF stands for, and you're right, not a lot of people will know.  Ask them if they have a Digital Audio Output or Input on their audio-video components, and I'm sure the ratio will be much higher.

That Sony went into a joint venture with an other company is irrelevent.  The point still stand that their product made it to the mainstream and became standards.

It's like saying that Nintendo aren't the ones bringing glasses-less 3D to the mainstream since it is Sharp that is providing the screens. ¬_¬

And as far as I know, Blu-Ray is the physical HD format standard now.

"Sony introduced their own small-format 90.0 mm × 94.0 mm disk, similar to the others but somewhat simpler in construction than the AmDisk 3-inch floppy.[42] The first computer to use this format was Sony's SMC 70[43] of 1982. Other than Hewlett-Packard's HP-150 of 1983 and Sony's MSX computers that year, this format suffered from a similar fate as the other new formats; the 5¼-inch format simply had too much market share.

Things changed dramatically when in 1982 the Microfloppy Industry Committee, a consortium ultimately of 23 media companies, agreed upon a 3½-inch media specification based upon but differing from the original Sony design[44] ... "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk

If Sony (or Panasonic) entered into a partnership with Apex Digital to create a new format I doubt you would be crediting Apex Digital with the success of the format. In the late 1970s Sony wasn’t much more than a value brand, and Sony can not (really) be credited with the success of the CD.

Blu-Ray may be the only physical HD format, but HD itself only has a (roughly) 50% adoption rate; and of those HD owners less than half own a Blu-Ray player. Until Blu-Ray replaces DVD as the dominant movie format you can’t claim that it is successful with the mainstream.

Hynad said:
hsrob said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Okay guys the main reason people dont like wearing 3d galsses is because it makes you look goofy right? Well we all have to admit playing the wii or any motion device makes you look goofy as well. Im just saying if people are willing to use an imaginary steering wheel then they can wear 3d glasses too without a problem.

I can't speak for anyone else's reasons but I already wear glasses. I don't like wearing two pairs or having to choose between seeing clearly or seeing 3D.  If I have to choose between the latter 2, 3D is going to lose out.

I wear glasses and was never bothered by the 3D glasses over my normal ones.  All the 3D glasses I used were designed to fit even if you wear your normal pair.  I really wonder if the persons complaining about that "issue" really ever wore 3D glasses.

But, maybe that's just me and I have some special glasses...

I never claimed any issue regarding 3D glasses, they are fine, merely a preference for not wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time.  If it doesn't bother you then count yourself lucky because I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like it.

Sony has no right to complain really. Kevin Butler bashes on Ninty and MSFT, albeit funny. But Sony needs to learn to take it as well.

Well in regards to 3d glasses. Im not going to research and retype, but the general consensus is 3D glasses arent a deal breaker for users in theaters. Movies can egenrally account for over 50% of their sales to 3d movies....i know theres a 2-3 dollar premium which contributes, but id say the growing number of people, not declining number over th elast 2 years, shows when people see a movie in 3d, they go back in 3d, thus its not ruining the experience by wearing glasses.

Secondly, if Sony truly felt this way a much mor eimportant partnership would have been with Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Vizio, LG......get unified glasses across all manufacturers for home theater 3D, eliminate stupid exlusive 3d bundles with manufacturers and promote 3D together in that market.

This is just sony feigning diplomacy because Nintendo is a powerhouse right now and Sony wants to tie 3D in general to Nintendo, which is awfully silly since i feel most people will already do that because of Nintendos influence. If nintendo is doing 3D, 3D is viable, glasses or not, people will be able to distinguish the difference in 3DS and 55 inch 3D needing glasses. Im confident in that.

No one is going to say "gosh i can play 3D on my 3 inch DS screen why cant i see Blu-ray on my 55 inch screen without glasses, since cinemas already tie 3D to glasses, i feel its natural consumers will tie the home theater to them as well.

This is just a sad attempt by Sony to try to sound "above it all" when in reality if they were driving markjetshare righ tnow theyd be saying something smart ass about 3DS 3D to PS3 3D being "real 3D" or some nonsense.