By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash 3D Glasses

irstupid said:

as you said less than 10% is in 3D, and please i would love to see a list of what is in 3D.

so now why am i buying a 3D tv to watch tv in 2D, only so many times you can watch Avatar.

Oh and I have 6 people in my family.  that is $900 for us to watch tv in 3D.  And your saying what a 3DTV will go down in price say $1000, and be within a couple hudnred of 2DTV.   Wouldn't those 2Dtv's also go down in price.  Quit comparuing the 3DTV price reduction with the current 2DTV price.

And again your doing the typical search around and find these amazing deals, hell lets bring in the whole I got this tv from my uncles nephew for a deal for shits.  We are talking about MASS MARKET HERE.  Most of all things are bought for the price sticker in the store.  Look at the average price of the 3DTV's being sold, not one example on sale somewhere for one time.  we are not trying to convince each other here to buy a 3DTV, we are discussing what we think will happen to the 3DTV industry in the future.  Whether i personally can get some deal on a TV doesn't mean jack shit to the overal market penetration of 3DTV's. 

and again adding what's my incentive to buy a 3DTV?  We have had a really nice HDTV for a long time and there was a couple years there were there was what like 4-5 channels in HD all else in SD.  Only real reason to have an HDTV was mauinly just its smaller size to hang on wall.  So why am I gouing to buy a 3DTV if only a couple channels in 3D or to just watch movies, and there are only a couple good even in 3D, most is tacked on shit.

also laughiung one more time for those bringing up theatres, yea an extra $2 a ticket compared to a new tv and $150 glasses for each person.

I'm not making a list of currently available 3D content. There will be 3D movies on Blu-Ray and there are a bunch of PS3 games. Beyond that, not a whole lot. More content to come. Every movie didn't come out in HD format overnight either.

A likely scenario is that eventually the only non 3D ready displays will be budget brand, small format and budget model HDTVs. If that's all that people are in the market for, then paying $150 for a pair of shutter glasses is not money well spent (they'll be under $100 within 2 years, but that's still far from cheap).

The incentive to buy a 3D ready HDTV is for those who are currently in the market to buy a large format premium HDTV, not those who recently bought one and are now chafing that something newer is now available, or those who are looking for a budget HDTV at the lowest cost. HDTVs are priced according to feature sets and 3D ready is simply one of those features that is rapidly dropping in price as more content that takes advantage of the feature becomes available.

Mass market adopts when the amount of available content meets a certain mass market friendly price, which is currently where 3D is heading and at a pretty rapid rate.

Around the Network
Galaki said:

Content.

Content.

Content.

We'll need the videos in 3D, and lots of them.

Otherwise, are you going to spend thousands of dollars just to watch a few movies in 3D?

You could have just go to see it in theater that way for under $20.

That's pretty much the main reason why it makes little sense to spend thousands on a 3D HDTV today. But that's today. Tomorrow they'll cost a lot less, on par with regular HDTVs with similar feature sets, coinciding with a growing catalog of content.

Early adopters always pay more for less available content, but somebody has to drive the market whether it's AV-philes, people with a lot of disposable income or whoever.

"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."

OMG NIntendo have got sony by the balls with this statement alone!

Such hypocrisy from Sony!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Sony could just take literally Nintendo, stressing the fact that its own home consoles can work fine with both glasses and glasses-free tech and letting people believe (not lying by any means, but just quoting Nintendo's bashing of glasses tech) that Nintendo home consoles, instead, will have to wait for glasses-free tech. So the only way for Nintendo to avoid a backlash would be to state that glasses tech is perfectly fine waiting for glasses-free to evolve enough for the living room.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

funny how people here judges the 3D effects from the 3DS without ever saw it live...

And also funny is how sony fan boys thinks that nintendo will use 3D glasses in their next home console.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network
Shonen said:

funny how people here judges the 3D effects from the 3DS without ever saw it live...

And also funny is how sony fan boys thinks that nintendo will use 3D glasses in their next home console.

First of all, I said that this is a possibility, and I'm not a stupid fanboy (I'm actually a fan of both Nintendo and Sony, but mainly Sony). And why is it funny? You think it's impossible? What brings you to this conclusion, sir?

edit: I just recognized that I start arguing with biased people again..., I should really stop that...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Shonen said:

nintendo is a console maker, they don't make people use glasses or not glasses in the home console market

i can play my 360 or ps3 on a sdtv, doesn't mean i have to play them on hdtv cause they are hd systems

if nintendo's next console is 3D capable, that is all it is, 3D capable.  People won't be forced to buy a 3D tv, and if they have a 3DTV it could use glasses or it could not.  That is not up to Nintendo.

3D for games is just stupid...you have to buy a new tv and those glasses just to see it. (assuming you already have a ps3)

"With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile." - I find this insulting as I already have to wear glasses so for me to watch 3D movies I have to put them on top of my glasses; I NEVER forget that they are there.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad