By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash 3D Glasses

Sony wasn't thrilled about Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference where it continually reiterated its "no more glasses" messaging for the 3DS.

During an interview with IGN, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida responded by saying Nintendo's vision for 3D gaming is similar to theirs and that it shouldn't focus on whether or not glasses are worn.

"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."

Yoshida later said the industry should advocate 3D development, and that Sony would like to work alongside Nintendo in promoting the new technology.

"I think as an industry we should preach this new perspective, from a very large cinema screen to a small portable, because that helps advancing the games and the game industry," he said. "We'd like to work together to promote 3D."

At the time, Yoshida admitted he hadn't actually played the 3DS yet, but said the glasses technology is improving all the time and that of course they'll be required for movie-like experiences.

"If you really want a big theater experience, of course you have to wear glasses," he said. "With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile."

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1103136p1.html

Just want to say one thing here: I'm interested in the 3DS and I will definitly buy one, but I'm also interested in 3D gaming on home consoles (with or without glasses, it doesn't matter to me), so I'm looing forward to 3D TVs getting cheaper.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

Sony reminds me of a kid, who's constantly calling other kids names. And when somebody does the same to him, he starts crying.

Sony working alongside Nintendo is a loser move. If you have the stronger position, stronger company, then collaboration with your competitors is a loser because they will profit off of your hard work.

Reading between the lines, Sony is in deep trouble if they feel the need to work alongside a company whose systems they thrashed in sales during the PS1 and PS2 era.

We may have no PS4 after all if and IF Sony keeps Kaz Hirai whose ideas for making the PS4 a cutting edge gaming console will push the PS4 to a $699 and $799 respectively, then they will have no one except a bunch of vain "My system costs more than yours" Scott Alexander wannabes purchasing it.

This article descibes the reason why i dislike Sony. Never will i ever support them.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:

This article descibes the reason why i dislike Sony. Never will i ever support them.

Seriously? I don't see what's bad about the article.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

let's face it, those glasses are really, really annoying. Even a lot of filmmakers don't like wearing them for 3D movies. It's really just a sign that 3D technology has a long way to go until it's sophisticated and it seems that Nintendo is helping with that.

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Tease.

Okay guys the main reason people dont like wearing 3d galsses is because it makes you look goofy right? Well we all have to admit playing the wii or any motion device makes you look goofy as well. Im just saying if people are willing to use an imaginary steering wheel then they can wear 3d glasses too without a problem.

Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that right now.

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

Ninpanda said:

Sony reminds me of a kid, who's constantly calling other kids names. And when somebody does the same to him, he starts crying.

I love my PS3, but I don't blame you for feeling like this.