By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash 3D Glasses

Wagram said:

Sony has no right to complain really. Kevin Butler bashes on Ninty and MSFT, albeit funny. But Sony needs to learn to take it as well.

Yep, that's what I thought when I first read the article. I mean, everyone is bashing everyone else in the gaming industry, that's how it goes. Some people are just very sensitive.

But from time to time it is nice to see that some companies even appreciate what other companies do/did (sadly this happens not very often).

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

It's payback time!

(But in a much more mature way.)

HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
HappySqurriel said:
Hynad said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that (and they actually never really were able to do that).

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

Yeah, Sony were never able to do that.  Not even with the 3.5" Floppy Discs, Compact-Discs, SPDIF, and Blu-Ray...

Seriously.  That's bad faith and ignorance if I ever saw any.

3.5 inch floppy discs were an IBM product, Sony introduced their own proprietary format that was short lived.

Sony and Phillips co-operated to produce the CD; and at the time Phillips would have been the larger of the two companies that was the major force behind it. Sony also introduced their own proprietary format, the Mini Disc, which lived a long life in obscurity.

Sony and Phillips followed up the CD with the SACD, which was a higher resolution audio format that was short lived.

SPDIF is a connector format and I doubt 95% of people you asked on the street would know what SPDIF was.

DVD was a format that was pushed by a wide consortium, Sony introduced their own proprietary format (UMD) that was short lived.

Blu-Ray is pushed by a wide consortium (not as wide as DVD) and can not be said to be popular with the masses yet.

I'm not trying to bash Sony here, but they have an amazing track record of introducing formats which are unsuccessful.

With that said, the glasses free technology that the 3DS is based on is (probably) the technology that people will eventually choose to buy into; but the technology (probably) will require 5 to 10 years of development before it is well suited to usage in the living room. What this means is that 3D in the living room will depend on glasses for quite some time; and I suspect will remain a niche product for quite some time

Sony created the 3.5" floppy disc.  I don't know what your source is.  IBM invented the floppy disc.  Not the 3.5" version of it (you know, the one that got mainstream and became the standard until just a few years ago).

SPDIF may be a connector format, but that's the connector that is on most sound system, TVs and even game consoles (PS2 and PS3) to deliver full 5.1 through only one cable.   Ask anyone what SPDIF stands for, and you're right, not a lot of people will know.  Ask them if they have a Digital Audio Output or Input on their audio-video components, and I'm sure the ratio will be much higher.

That Sony went into a joint venture with an other company is irrelevent.  The point still stand that their product made it to the mainstream and became standards.

It's like saying that Nintendo aren't the ones bringing glasses-less 3D to the mainstream since it is Sharp that is providing the screens. ¬_¬

And as far as I know, Blu-Ray is the physical HD format standard now.

"Sony introduced their own small-format 90.0 mm × 94.0 mm disk, similar to the others but somewhat simpler in construction than the AmDisk 3-inch floppy.[42] The first computer to use this format was Sony's SMC 70[43] of 1982. Other than Hewlett-Packard's HP-150 of 1983 and Sony's MSX computers that year, this format suffered from a similar fate as the other new formats; the 5¼-inch format simply had too much market share.

Things changed dramatically when in 1982 the Microfloppy Industry Committee, a consortium ultimately of 23 media companies, agreed upon a 3½-inch media specification based upon but differing from the original Sony design[44] ... "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk

If Sony (or Panasonic) entered into a partnership with Apex Digital to create a new format I doubt you would be crediting Apex Digital with the success of the format. In the late 1970s Sony wasn’t much more than a value brand, and Sony can not (really) be credited with the success of the CD.

Blu-Ray may be the only physical HD format, but HD itself only has a (roughly) 50% adoption rate; and of those HD owners less than half own a Blu-Ray player. Until Blu-Ray replaces DVD as the dominant movie format you can’t claim that it is successful with the mainstream.

Sony did develop what became the standard floppy disk.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/computer/floppy-disk

The format got perfected, but was indeed based on Sony's creation.   In that link I provided, Sony is in fact credited for the 1.44 MB format that was used in every computers until some recent years. Do whatever you want with that. 

Now, about the Blu-Ray format.  It's funny you say I can't claim it is successful with the mainstream.  The reason you offer is rather ludicrous I might say.  You confuse dominating the market, with being successful with the mainstream.  As in, AMD isn't successful because it doesn't achieve monopoly in the PC processor market, where Intel is still dominating?  That's just wrong.

But here's food for thoughts:  http://formatwarcentral.com/2009/10/05/blu-ray-adoption-ahead-dvd/

That link points to a sign of BD being clearly unsuccessful with the mainstream. ¬_¬

Sony: 3D adoption will be just like Blu-ray

With this generation of home entertainment, Sony has taken a lot of risks. It put its neck on the line with the first fully-HD equipped video game console, it gambled with Blu-ray in the format war, and now it's pouring all sorts of money into 3D development.

Meanwhile, most of its competitors have taken a "sit back and watch" approach. With Blu-ray, of course, the risk reaped rewards, and now the storage media Sony helped create is a market standard and the PS3 can handle much higher-capacity games than either the Xbox 360 or Wii.
Will the same kind of result happen with 3D gaming, though? Sony says yes. In an interview with

IndustryGamers.com, Sony Worldwide Studios VP Scott Rohde said that 3D adoption is, "Not a concern. It’s a strategy. The best thing I can relate this to is the Blu-Ray launch. I think this is like a rewind for me, a lot of the same questions."

Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony has a vested interest in the future of 3D home entertainment, In addition to the PS3 it also is manufacturing its own line of 3D TVs and 3D-enabled Blu-ray players.

"So, it’s a distinct strategy that we’ve chosen to take to be on the bleeding edge and drive the market into these new experiences. So we’re not worried about quick adoption rate. We’re driving people to adopt period," added Rohde.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/50382-sony-3d-adoption-will-be-just-like-blu-ray

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

My guess is that the bigwigs at the very top of Sony really want Nintendo to embrace the technology because it could probably sell more TVs if the entire gaming industry got on board. SCE might not like the idea.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Ninpanda said:

Sony reminds me of a kid, who's constantly calling other kids names. And when somebody does the same to him, he starts crying.

llllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

I couldn't agree more. I was going to comment on the same line as your comment. But you did it much better than I could imagine. 

Mr Khan said:

My guess is that the bigwigs at the very top of Sony really want Nintendo to embrace the technology because it could probably sell more TVs if the entire gaming industry got on board. SCE might not like the idea.

Thats what I was thinking. Better for sony as a whole to move 3D televisions and movies than it is for their console to have a unique feature. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

SpartenOmega117 said:

Okay guys the main reason people dont like wearing 3d galsses is because it makes you look goofy right? Well we all have to admit playing the wii or any motion device makes you look goofy as well. Im just saying if people are willing to use an imaginary steering wheel then they can wear 3d glasses too without a problem.

cheap. I can't believe some people are really eating every word Sony is saying.

Sony Seeks New 3D Dimensions, Marks 2nd Leg Of ‘make.believe’

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 6/21/2010

Sony said its Bravia 3D TVs will stand out from the competition due to a variety of technological approaches that deliver 3D and 2D images with superior color and contrast performance, and in 3D reduced cross-talk artifacts with a wider viewing radius for its active- shutter glasses systems through the use of an advanced IR emitter system.

In addition, Sony’s 3D LED LCD TVs use an Intelligent Dynamic LED backlight system, which allows detail to be seen clearly in dark areas.

also:

On the programming end, Sony reminded that it is part of a joint venture with Discovery Communications and IMAX to produce a new 24-hour 3D TV channel to bring HD 3D content to 3D TV sets.

Tom Cosgrove, now Discovery Channel’s COO and executive VP, will direct the new venture.

Sony said the as-yet-unnamed 24- hour 3D channel will launch in January, carrying a mix of movies, documentaries and children’s programming.

http://www.twice.com/article/454078-Sony_Seeks_New_3D_Dimensions_Marks_2nd_Leg_Of_make_believe_.php

Sony's not trying to compete with the 3DS with their 3D

but Nintendo is trying to compete with Sony in the Home theatre market with the 3DS

makes you wonder.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

guiduc said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Okay guys the main reason people dont like wearing 3d galsses is because it makes you look goofy right? Well we all have to admit playing the wii or any motion device makes you look goofy as well. Im just saying if people are willing to use an imaginary steering wheel then they can wear 3d glasses too without a problem.

cheap. I can't believe some people are really eating every word Sony is saying.

cheap. I can't believe some people are really eating every word Nintendo is saying about the 3DS being in the same market as Home Theatre!

I AM BOLO

ps: