By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash 3D Glasses

joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:
joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:

Plasma screens cost over $100,000 at one point. The price will of course come down and the quality of the screens will of course improve over time. The point people are making is that by the time enough 3D content becomes available there will be better screen technologies to take advantage of the content. At the very least passive glass 3DTVs using polarised displays will probably become relatively mainstream far sooner. Its better to wait and get the right technology with content to play than buy an early 3DTV which will become obsolete very quickly with little content to watch in the mean-time.

an this is exactly the same reason that has been running through this thread:

the 3DS show's consumer's no need for Glasses when the 3DS does not need it and consumer's will just wait for it...

the problem is their going to be waiting a hell of a long time!

the effect's of passive also have problem's, too dark, and resolution once again suffer's.

just think as an example to get 1080p resolution out of the same type of Technology that the 3DS uses, the screen in Question would need a 4k resolution!

the entire screen has to be modified you just cannot up the refresh rate..that is one of the advantages of Active shutter. those glasses will be far cheaper in the next couple of year's before even the glimmer of glassless 3D in Home theatre even become's a viable solution to even start to get to that level of price.

it's not that the companies cannot do it. it's the fact that they cannot offer it at a price the main consumer would need it to be in order the be a solution to glassless.Not Now other than small screen's and not for quite a while..this is the very same thing with new Holographic disc format's the disc's are very expensive, but the drive cost's are way up there and have been for quite some time.

example:

This is all very early-stage stuff, and in an area littered with previous attempts to bring multi-hundred gigabyte holographic disks and drives to market. It hasn't happened yet but there are people, like the InPhase rescuers, and Pavel himself, who sincerely hold the holographic faith. Good luck to them. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04/storex_1pb/

passive has it's own problem's to contend with more so than even the parallax barrier that is in the 3DS

The consumer has two options.

1. Get a 3DTV now, and not watch any content in 3D because theres hardly any made for 3D.

2. Wait.

I think waiting is of course the better bet. It'll take a hell of a long time for good content to come out on 3D anyway.Its like all those people who skipped buying a PS3 until 2008 or later, they didn't miss much.

In any case the pixel density on the large format autostereoscopic screens isn't too bad. Its still not higher than a PC monitor.

An you do not think that 3D content is going to be invested into by network's for Sport's?

your trying to point to a IDEA that people in the majority are going to do that over the IDEA that the 3DS is showing the consumer to just wait that the glassless Technology will be released soon because the 3DS will force the other manuf's, to Do it because of very limited consumer interest in 3D if there is glasses still needed.

the Problem like everything is How it's looked at. Even if the 3DS get's people the Notion to think about waiting. but still even after 3 year's still no glassless tech, and still the Home Theatre TV's are still using Shutter and so is the Theatre's are also. Not to mention More TV station's broadcasting their content in 3D. what then?

the Problem even 3 year's from now Even when the 3DS is on the Market selling very well, Which In my Opinion it will sell very well and may indeed break the DS's record sales. It will still not change the landscape in Home theatre's direction of halting the progress of Active shutter, for the simple fact the Glassless solution is anywhere from 5 to 10 year's away and that's being optimistic about it.

The Consumer Has the Buy Power , yes but if that is the only Product availiable and no other alternitive other than the 3DS. The 3DS is fine an dandy for portible on the Move but it's not going to change the fact that it's not the same as the Home Theatre Market.

IF all the main manuf. and there are many are pushing Active shutter and will infact be for the next 5 to 10 year's. the Consumer only has the choice to buy or not buy it, but I doubt very much the Home Theatre market is going to sit out on great 3D content for that length of Time when somthing Like for Example the Super Bowl is being broadcasted in 3D!, That Alone will get people interested in it since by that time, Let's say 3 year's like your Example..Active shutter will be cheaper and if many on here still think the Glassless is going to be a viable mass market price over Active shutter by then Even 3 year's from now, than i do not know what to Tell you.

quick question

how often do people upgrade their TV's?

Cause haven't we just all upgraded out TV's to HD recently, Why are we going to spend a couple grand on a 3DTV now when we didn't even spend that much upgrading to our current HDTV not to long ago?

I dont' expect to buy a new TV for at least 5 years, most likely longer.  Hell probably 10 years, my tv's last longer than my consolesl generations do i bet easy.    And I bet majority of people wait even longer than I do, I have seen around at most peoples houses and was amazed at how long most keep thier tv's,  it is at least 10 .  I don't the majority of people even consider buying a new TV until 10 years go by.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:
joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:

Plasma screens cost over $100,000 at one point. The price will of course come down and the quality of the screens will of course improve over time. The point people are making is that by the time enough 3D content becomes available there will be better screen technologies to take advantage of the content. At the very least passive glass 3DTVs using polarised displays will probably become relatively mainstream far sooner. Its better to wait and get the right technology with content to play than buy an early 3DTV which will become obsolete very quickly with little content to watch in the mean-time.

an this is exactly the same reason that has been running through this thread:

the 3DS show's consumer's no need for Glasses when the 3DS does not need it and consumer's will just wait for it...

the problem is their going to be waiting a hell of a long time!

the effect's of passive also have problem's, too dark, and resolution once again suffer's.

just think as an example to get 1080p resolution out of the same type of Technology that the 3DS uses, the screen in Question would need a 4k resolution!

the entire screen has to be modified you just cannot up the refresh rate..that is one of the advantages of Active shutter. those glasses will be far cheaper in the next couple of year's before even the glimmer of glassless 3D in Home theatre even become's a viable solution to even start to get to that level of price.

it's not that the companies cannot do it. it's the fact that they cannot offer it at a price the main consumer would need it to be in order the be a solution to glassless.Not Now other than small screen's and not for quite a while..this is the very same thing with new Holographic disc format's the disc's are very expensive, but the drive cost's are way up there and have been for quite some time.

example:

This is all very early-stage stuff, and in an area littered with previous attempts to bring multi-hundred gigabyte holographic disks and drives to market. It hasn't happened yet but there are people, like the InPhase rescuers, and Pavel himself, who sincerely hold the holographic faith. Good luck to them. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04/storex_1pb/

passive has it's own problem's to contend with more so than even the parallax barrier that is in the 3DS

The consumer has two options.

1. Get a 3DTV now, and not watch any content in 3D because theres hardly any made for 3D.

2. Wait.

I think waiting is of course the better bet. It'll take a hell of a long time for good content to come out on 3D anyway.Its like all those people who skipped buying a PS3 until 2008 or later, they didn't miss much.

In any case the pixel density on the large format autostereoscopic screens isn't too bad. Its still not higher than a PC monitor.

An you do not think that 3D content is going to be invested into by network's for Sport's?

your trying to point to a IDEA that people in the majority are going to do that over the IDEA that the 3DS is showing the consumer to just wait that the glassless Technology will be released soon because the 3DS will force the other manuf's, to Do it because of very limited consumer interest in 3D if there is glasses still needed.

the Problem like everything is How it's looked at. Even if the 3DS get's people the Notion to think about waiting. but still even after 3 year's still no glassless tech, and still the Home Theatre TV's are still using Shutter and so is the Theatre's are also. Not to mention More TV station's broadcasting their content in 3D. what then?

the Problem even 3 year's from now Even when the 3DS is on the Market selling very well, Which In my Opinion it will sell very well and may indeed break the DS's record sales. It will still not change the landscape in Home theatre's direction of halting the progress of Active shutter, for the simple fact the Glassless solution is anywhere from 5 to 10 year's away and that's being optimistic about it.

The Consumer Has the Buy Power , yes but if that is the only Product availiable and no other alternitive other than the 3DS. The 3DS is fine an dandy for portible on the Move but it's not going to change the fact that it's not the same as the Home Theatre Market.

IF all the main manuf. and there are many are pushing Active shutter and will infact be for the next 5 to 10 year's. the Consumer only has the choice to buy or not buy it, but I doubt very much the Home Theatre market is going to sit out on great 3D content for that length of Time when somthing Like for Example the Super Bowl is being broadcasted in 3D!, That Alone will get people interested in it since by that time, Let's say 3 year's like your Example..Active shutter will be cheaper and if many on here still think the Glassless is going to be a viable mass market price over Active shutter by then Even 3 year's from now, than i do not know what to Tell you.

quick question

how often do people upgrade their TV's?

Cause haven't we just all upgraded out TV's to HD recently, Why are we going to spend a couple grand on a 3DTV now when we didn't even spend that much upgrading to our current HDTV not to long ago?

I dont' expect to buy a new TV for at least 5 years, most likely longer.  Hell probably 10 years, my tv's last longer than my consolesl generations do i bet easy.    And I bet majority of people wait even longer than I do, I have seen around at most peoples houses and was amazed at how long most keep thier tv's,  it is at least 10 .  I don't the majority of people even consider buying a new TV until 10 years go by.

and How many buy more than one TV ?

and that is if the majority of people do not have an HD TV set yet!

do the Majority already have an HD set yet.? I would take a guess and say no not yet.

the Point is there are many that do not Even have an HD TV set yet, Look while i respect your's an other's position and your Opinion. But the Truth is the Effect from the 3DS on the Home Theatre Market is not going to have that  Effect than you an many seem to think it will. Due to the very fact that the Majority of the TV manuf. are all going with Shutter!

It does not mean that they are not investing into future technology's for Glassless 3D beyond the Portible market. the Cost is not Viable yet an it will not be due to the fact that HD drive is 1080p is the main resolution, yes 720p are the main sold HD TV set right now but the fact that even people keeping their current TV set does not mean they would not be interested to get a bigger Set for their living room. or that Some current HD TV set's right now support 3D already on the Market because of the refresh rate.

the Problem in seeing just "the industry is moving toward 3D because the content creator's already see there is a market for it"

you do not have to have the majority of the market % to be viewed as a:

success

a : degree or measure of succeeding b : favorable or desired outcome; also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

c: one that succeeds

What would the market % have to be in Home Theatre to be seen as a :

success!

that's the problem i see with the whole Idea that the 3DS one device is going to be Disruptive to the Home Theatre Market. I ask you has a portable ever in the PAST had the Effect on which that Portable Device Disrupt's the Home Theatre Market?

I would say That is a resounding NO!

do i think the 3DS is a great IDEA for a handheld you bet

Do i think it will be Disruptive to the current Trend of Shutter 3D in the Home Theatre...NO

just because the Portable market just not have the Same Target for the same experience that people have Required for living Room Moving Watching.

I see many think that "Well it will get people to think to wait" for a glassless solution!

Once again where will those solution's be at in 3 year's? or 5 year's? from Now meanwhile the cheaper solution for the Manuf. IS to still support Active Shutter over Glassless because it's cheaper for them!

The Consumer will have the Choice but if the only product's on the shelf is Active Shutter and No Glassless from now an 3 year's later what then?

there's no Incentive for the Manuf. to push the More expensive 3D option for them,That will not come down anytime soon because of the added Cost.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Costs come down with time and scale.  By the time the general market's ready to buy a new television and jump into the next cycle, hopefully glassless 3DTV solutions will be truly viable.  Right now though, neither element is really in place.

snfr said:
Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that right now.

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

i dont think theyll come in the near future. 3DS' 3D is possible because you look at it in a fixed Angle. Its build for one Person, 3D at Cinema's or TV is not, its build for diferent perspective's, if you watch a movie in a Cinema, you CANT place 100's of Person's in the Central Seat.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

3D glasses won't move beyond the enthusiast set. At least Nintendo has the opportunity to push 3D into the mainstream which is the important point. People don't like wearing glasses, and they don't understand them. I remember seeing a Panasonic 3D demonstration in a mall a week ago and people were walking away and complaining because the glasses had been turned off. Noone understood that they needed to press the button on the left underside of the glasses.

Yep, I agree with that. Nintendo are the ones to push new technology into the mainstream, Sony is simply not able to do that right now.

Anyway, it will be nice to see what the people will think when there are the first 3D TVs which don't require glasses.

i dont think theyll come in the near future. 3DS' 3D is possible because you look at it in a fixed Angle. Its build for one Person, 3D at Cinema's or TV is not, its build for diferent perspective's, if you watch a movie in a Cinema, you CANT place 100's of Person's in the Central Seat.

You not just CAN do it, you MUST do it for at least two reasons of the utmost importance: achieving a World Record, and, even more importnt, DISRUPTING SONY's 3D WITH GLASSES BUSINESS!!! Because TGWNCBNBEK (The Guru Whose Name Can't Be Named But Everybody Knows) CAN'T BE WRONG!!! NEVER!!!!!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Crystalchild said:
snfr said:
Squilliam said:

Well, 3D TVs which don't require glasses are already developed, but there are two problems. The first is, as you said, the viewing angle. The second is the price which I think is at 10 000€ minimum (I don't have a source right now, but I read it many times and saw a test of such a TV in a german TV programm). Price is not the problem after many years, but if the problem with the viewing angle can be solved is the real question.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Nintendo 3DS will infact help out Sony, and other 3DTV manufacturers quite a lot.

In basic terms, the 3DS is an inferior 3D experience that will break into more casual consumers and leave them wanting the Real 3D experience.

Everyone's a winner.

And those who say that people will just wait for a 3DS over buying a 3DTV are nuts, or smoking something.

I'm sorry, but a 40 year old male (avg TV purchaser) does not say 'Ah, I'l just wait for a Ninteno games console with a tiny screen instead.'

Those currently* interested in going 3D will be home theatre enthusiasts. The DS does not represent a home theatre.

* Over time everyone will adopt 3D.

BBH said:

In basic terms, the 3DS is an inferior 3D experience 

Well, except in terms of color saturation, light levels, cost and 3rd party software support. ;)

If the massmarket adopts what Nintendo's vision for 3D is, they won't settle for glasses based solutions.  They'll wait it out, keep their HD TVs they just bought instead, and upgrade when the technology eventually meets their needs at a reasonable pricepoint (ie: glassless 3DTV).

he was like crying, like his feelings were hurts. crybaby.

EMBED-Kid Loses Fight To Speed Bag - Watch more free videos