By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: 3DS costs "ALOT MORE" to make than the DSi

$200 is what they should aim for; people will be a little wary to buy a handheld that's more expensive than Nintendo's home console

Around the Network

It won't cost much more than DSi XL. I'm expecting it to be around $200, could possibly be up to $225 or as low as $180. Remember that people were bitching that DSi and DSiXL were overpriced, and the reason is Nintendo can afford massive margins on those. However with a new platform it has to quickly get to a price that's reasonable, so they'll have much lower margins initially (but still profitable per unit).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

jarrod said:

It'll be $199.  The only really pricey part is likely that 3D screen, and I'd imagine Sharp's cutting Nintendo a pretty sweet deal on it.

And I can't imagine DSi costs much to make.  Ancient ARM chips, 16MB RAM, 256MB flash, 2x 3.25" screens (1 being touch), 2x 0.3mpxl cameras, casing, speakers, microphone, 802.11g/b WiFi chip, 840 mAh mobile battery, SD/DS game interfaces, buttons... honestly, if those components add up to more than $50-60 I'd be shocked.

16MB RAM look too little to me, the memory requirements of some things, like level maps, depend on the detail of description and features and object richness of the environment described, not on the res at which they are visualized, the need of generating two views of a scene will increase the RAM requirements too so the RAM needed will be larger, but it shouldn't be a problem anyway, even 128MB would have a negligible cost now. Considering also that at the working frequencies of ultra-low power consumption portable CPUs you don't need expensive fast memories, you can use the cheapest ones without drawbacks.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

$249 is fine by me. i'll wait for the 3DSi to launch, though.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

well I can tell you now that in Aus it will be 350-400.

so US price will be like 200-300

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Skeeuk said:

the 3ds will launch at $299 with games going at full price $59.99

Are you willing to bet on that?

Will u buy it at lunch Soriku?

right now in the U.K, you can get a DSiXL for £140 ($203), so I can see the 3DS going for about £160 ($232) with a smaller profit made with each one sold.

Soriku said:
Slimebeast said:
Will u buy it at lunch Soriku?

No. But eventually, yes.

*channeling Homer* Mmmmm ... 3D ... *drools*

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I hope it is $200 or less.If not..... I will have to wait.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

god what do all these guesses of $200 eqaute to in GBP is no one from the uk on here, personally im hoping for £170 tops and it better have a game with it for that price