By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: 3DS costs "ALOT MORE" to make than the DSi

I notice Reggie never said it would ship for more then a DSi. Fact is the Micro when the DS was released cost 25$ to manufacture and sold for 99$. The DSi I suspect costs at most 75$ to manufacture and the 3DS may cost what 100-150$. I bet Nintendo won't sell it for a loss but they won't sell it for as much profit as they did with the DS.

Keep in mind the origional DS launched at 150USD, then the Lite cost what 150USD as well then the DSi cost alittle more. I bet Nintendo was making at least 50$ profit per unit, heck they turned a profit on every GameCube sold and they sold that sucker for 99CDN like two years after launch.

If the GameCube was profitable at 99CDN then the 3DS will be profitable at 199USD. But as I said Nintendo probubly won't be making as much profit off the 3DS as they are/did with the DS/GBA/GBC/GB, but as Reggie said Nintendo never sells hardware at a loss. But I bet they will have little to no profit on hardware when the unit launches to ensure it launches at a good price point.

My bet is 199USD!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Another swing and another miss from the Pach-man!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Well, the DSi is MUCH too expensive (it's a pointless upgrade anyway, I still don't understand why they even launched it, and the price point is weird).

3DS will be no more than 200$. Just because Pachter says so, because being wrong is his business. 

So now we are listening to Patcher? :S

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Well the camera, with the same technology, is selling for $600 on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Its got a 2.8inch screen.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

$225... weird price, but still fine though...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I have not bought a Nintendo system since N64. However, I am getting more and more interested in the 3DS . If Nintendo is going to step it up, and turn the profits into great hardware I am willing to jump on board. If they want to slap a high end GPU/CPU in the 3DS, and throw in 256MB of RAM or more, I would be happy to pay $300. I love tech, and gaming for advancements. If Nintendo wants to join the moving forward team, I will be more than happy to give them whatever amount of money they ask.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

It'll be $199.  The only really pricey part is likely that 3D screen, and I'd imagine Sharp's cutting Nintendo a pretty sweet deal on it.

And I can't imagine DSi costs much to make.  Ancient ARM chips, 16MB RAM, 256MB flash, 2x 3.25" screens (1 being touch), 2x 0.3mpxl cameras, casing, speakers, microphone, 802.11g/b WiFi chip, 840 mAh mobile battery, SD/DS game interfaces, buttons... honestly, if those components add up to more than $50-60 I'd be shocked.

There is no way it will cost less than $249. Even $299 is a reasonable launch price in my opinion. It's a big upgrade from existing handhelds in many ways.

the 3ds will launch at $299 with games going at full price $59.99

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...