By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: 3DS costs "ALOT MORE" to make than the DSi

Vectorferret said:
This worries me. However, the CPU/GPU engineering prof at my university estimated that with a large enough volume, a DS could cost as little as $20 to make (not counting shipping, retailer cut etc..) so that doesn't mean the 3DS will be expensive. (I find the $20 figure way too low, but he's an expert and I'm not.)

Hopefully he was talking about the CPU/GPU of the DS, I'd hate to think that your professor was an idiot.

[edit:  or perhaps he was talking about the overall guts, including RAM and so on, possibly including the screens but not considering the case, battery, etc.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Vectorferret said:

This worries me. However, the CPU/GPU engineering prof at my university estimated that with a large enough volume, a DS could cost as little as $20 to make (not counting shipping, retailer cut etc..) so that doesn't mean the 3DS will be expensive. (I find the $20 figure way too low, but he's an expert and I'm not.)

He isn't involved in the manufacturing of the screens and such not though. He is not exactly a reliable source for over all cost. The DS launched at $150 price tag 6 years ago though. I wouldn't be surprised to find them making a mint off of DSi.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Well, if 'a lot more' won't go beyond $250, I'm fine then.

U$300 is a bargain for what you're getting. I'll pay U$400 at launch and I'm saying that right now, imagine as we get closer....

I'll pay $300 US just for the 3DS.

Around the Network

I will be willing to go $300.  If they go too much over $200, they may have a few issues trying to sell it to their usual audience (kids, etc).

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

For myself, IMO there's no possible way it'll be $300, I would be shocked if it debuts over $250 and I doubt I'll buy it over $200. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Khuutra said:

People are going to explode when they find out what kind of profit margins Nintendo is making on the DSi.

That's my first though.

249.99, that's my bet... well, that's how much i'll pay for it at launch xD

I sincerely hope it's not more than $250 USD, that would mean a launch price in Australia of something around $400.