By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: 3DS costs "ALOT MORE" to make than the DSi

WINtendo said:

god what do all these guesses of $200 eqaute to in GBP is no one from the uk on here, personally im hoping for £170 tops and it better have a game with it for that price

200 USD would be about 135 GBP going by straight conversion, but you guys have to pay some crazy fees.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
jarrod said:

It'll be $199.  The only really pricey part is likely that 3D screen, and I'd imagine Sharp's cutting Nintendo a pretty sweet deal on it.

And I can't imagine DSi costs much to make.  Ancient ARM chips, 16MB RAM, 256MB flash, 2x 3.25" screens (1 being touch), 2x 0.3mpxl cameras, casing, speakers, microphone, 802.11g/b WiFi chip, 840 mAh mobile battery, SD/DS game interfaces, buttons... honestly, if those components add up to more than $50-60 I'd be shocked.

16MB RAM look too little to me, the memory requirements of some things, like level maps, depend on the detail of description and features and object richness of the environment described, not on the res at which they are visualized, the need of generating two views of a scene will increase the RAM requirements too so the RAM needed will be larger, but it shouldn't be a problem anyway, even 128MB would have a negligible cost now. Considering also that at the working frequencies of ultra-low power consumption portable CPUs you don't need expensive fast memories, you can use the cheapest ones without drawbacks.

I was talking about DSi, not 3DS.  3DS is speculated to have just 16MB of VRAM alone (and 64MB main RAM).

Skeeuk said:

the 3ds will launch at $299 with games going at full price $59.99

Haha, a $60 MSRP on games is even more outlandish than the hardware estimate.

You know that making a game 3D doesn't require any additional development costs, right?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's going to be $199 for the system and $34-39 for games.  Budget games at $29 or less even maybe, not everything needs a 2GB card...

famousringo said:
Skeeuk said:

You know that making a game 3D doesn't require any additional development costs, right?

How much does a new DS game cost today? What is the RRP? In other words, what is the price that corresponds to a brand new $60 game for the HD consoles?

EDITed for clarity.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
famousringo said:
Skeeuk said:

How much does a new DS game cost today? The equivalent of a brand new $60 game for the HD consoles.

Wha... WHAT?  Like I'm extremely confused here... retail prices for DS games are 30 man, with a few going to 35... 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

My bet, at least $200 at most $250. Also i do agree with Pachter, it will launch this year in Japan, next year in EU and US. Here in EU we will get it last, probably around march, so US will get it earlier.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Slimebeast said:
famousringo said:
Skeeuk said:

How much does a new DS game cost today? The equivalent of a brand new $60 game for the HD consoles.

Wha... WHAT?  Like I'm extremely confused here... retail prices for DS games are 30 man, with a few going to 35... 

I meant, just like we all know that the recommended retail price for new HD games is $60, what is the RRP for DS games?

It was your type of reply that I wanted to avoid by asking how I did. I don't want to know how cheap you can get a random new DS game at Amazon, I want to know the typical recommended price.

In Sweden the RRP for HD games is $60 ( taxes) while DS games cost $45.

Slimebeast said:
famousringo said:
Skeeuk said:

What are you smoking?

Slimebeast said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Slimebeast said:
famousringo said:
Skeeuk said:

I meant, just like we all know that the recommended retail price for new HD games is $60, what is the RRP for DS games?

It was your type of reply that I wanted to avoid by asking how I did. I don't want to know how cheap you can get a random new DS game at Amazon, I want to know the typical recommended price.

In Sweden the RRP for HD games is $60 ( taxes) while DS games cost $45.

That's what I stated... it's 30 dollars with 35 being some games.  The only games to go over that are Pokemon Silver and Gold with the pokewalker at 40, Guitar Hero with the guitar grip at 50, and Square Enix games at 40.  Lots of other games like Brain Age start out at 20 dollars.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000