By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

PDF said:
@misterd - The Gamecube was failure for Nintendo. selling only 21M WW. The reason the GameCube failed was because it simply wasnt powerful enough and the controllers didnt help any either. Nintendo being only a gaming company could not compare with Sony and MS when it came to putting money into thier systems and the Gamecube was proof of that. After the Gamecube Nintendo was running off of handheld money. The wii was born with innovation instead of money. When the wii2 is made they wont go for a $500 console that cost them $800 to make. I do think that they will add more power risking losing some money at the start. Maby a $300 console that cost them $400 dollars to make.

@pearljammer - somone who agrees with me. WOOT

The Gamecube was a poor seller for Nintendo, but it a DID make a profit. XBox certainly did not. M$ has lost billions of dollars in the gaming industry. Nintendo has made nothing but money. It really depends on what success is defined as. N never sells a system for a loss, they are a frugal company and do not believe in losing money like gangbusters (See M$ & Sony) to hope & pray for future sales. They don't believe in losing money at all. That's a basic difference in philosophy that will never cause them to lose more money in gaming in one year than they made in ten, which happened to sony this year. The PS3 is powerful alright. So powerful it took all the profits from PSx & the highly successful PS2 and erased them. Gone. At least so far. I'm not saying the PS3 might not make money and become a big seller, but it's unknown. Sure it's a great machine, great power, great graphics, but the truth is it devours money. Nintendo sells systems and games at a profit from day 1. I know they could have made a more powerful system and lost money on it, but they chose to innovate with unique controls and concentrate on making games fun. And they chose to expand the market, which helps all 3 consoles. So we all have a lot more gamers in the world because of it.

I think N selling more Wii's than the entire Playstation family is far-fetched, but you can't argue that Nintendo has created more gamers than any other company making games. And now they are bringing gamers back to gaming. Expect the unexpected.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

In all of this analysis of what might happen in 2008 and beyond, I think we should consider something about who is actually going to be purchasing systems in year 2 of a console's life and beyond.

Can we assume that the majority of hardcore gamers will already have bought their primary system of this gen? Therefore surely we have to primarily assess what main-stream gamers, kids and the new 'casual' gamers are going to be buying.

Main-stream gamers: brand loyalty is important and systems with established franchise games they connect with (PS3 has the brand, XBOX360 has the games and momentum from early release, Wii is something new which got me reinvigorated)
Kids: based on peer-pressure / fads / games to a lesser extent (at the moment: Wii, but this could swing)
Casuals: Wii all the way

Taking this into consideration, I would have to say that the Wii doomsayers have flawed arguments. Maybe people could go into this a bit deeper, but I think its an important question: What demographics will the ongoing buyers be from? This will determine if Wii will continue to sell this well.

It will slow down ... not dramatically , but it will . It depends a lot of how well games like Wii fit and SSMB will do next year ... if their performance will not be stellar , than sales could take a huge hit ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PDF said:

Over and Over again people keep sayin Nintendo can afford to compete with Sony and MS when it comes to putting money in their sytems. Nintendo does not have a safety valve like MS and Sony does. If Nintendo goes bankrupt they are done. If Playstation and xbox go bankrupt they are saved by Sony and MS other profits.

The ps3 would be the best bargin in sense that it cost $800 for sony to make and only $500 dollars to buy.

Nintendo has a safety valve of their own. Right now it's called DS.

pearljammer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
@Avinash_Tyagi - For the Wii so sell more than the whole PS family it would have to sell. 102m(ps1)+120M(ps2)+the amount of ps2 still being sold + psp + ps3. = would probably equal over 300M. Even if it sales twice as much as the ps2 it still would need more. The ps2 was also $50 more and was also strained in production its 1st year.

So was Wii, Wii will be able to reach that 300 million mark

You are, of course, joking right?

The Wii is undoubtedly doing great and is likely to continue that trend and I'm not casting doubt that it won't pass PS2's record... but... 300 million. Do you not think that is being even a bit overly optimistic?

Also, I'd have to agree with PDF in that I wouldn't be able to own only a Wii this generation, sure it has some great games, but I'd still need my dosage of things non-Nintendo as well, whether it'd come from PS3 or 360. But because of some of the target audience that you mentioned, I don't necessarily feel that many others share that same thought. It really is too bad though, you'll miss out on some great games.

Sorry friend but you are one of the gamers who is becoming marginalized by the Wii, it doesn't matter if you get another system, because most consumers aren't, most are going to get the Wii alone.  And i'm not being optimistic, in fact i'm starting to think i'm lowballing the figures

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Xeo_842 said:
Yeaaaaa.....who cares about video game sales if you dont even profit from them? What a waste of life. I'm going to get up off this computer and continue living life without squandering it on such trifling matters. And if you people are so sure about your predictions that you put so much effort into researching to make your statements with statistics, numbers, and dates, you guys should make bets with money so that you actually gain something from your useless hobby. Anyway, thanks for your time, and to let you guys know, there is no need to reply to this comment because I will not read it and I will never again in my life intentionally visit this website again. All I ask is that you read this, sit back a moment to reflect on it, and then try to tell yourself what significant gain do you recieve if your prediction is right. It is time to stop playing Fantasy Video Game Console Wars, just get up and play whatever video games you have or get out your house and hang out with friends.

Kinda like, what significant gain do you get for watching a football game? Or perhaps owning a house larger than a small apartment? Or perhaps even, what do you have to gain from having a TV, or books (since it wastes time), board games, or even the time the previous poster took to comment.

This is one of those "I insult you and run away" syndromes you find online. Kind of like when someone insults you on an IM and then blocks you. Real mature.

Although, it's funny now that I found that comment about mother

It's better than smoking. 

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

PDF said:

Over and Over again people keep sayin Nintendo can afford to compete with Sony and MS when it comes to putting money in their sytems. Nintendo does not have a safety valve like MS and Sony does. If Nintendo goes bankrupt they are done. If Playstation and xbox go bankrupt they are saved by Sony and MS other profits.

The ps3 would be the best bargin in sense that it cost $800 for sony to make and only $500 dollars to buy.

Nintendo's safety valve was record profits last semester   Something like, near one billion dollars of profit?  Who needs a safety valve when that happens?  You should look at the three's financial reports to see who needs the safety valves and who does not.  Nintendo does not, and that's an understatement.

The reason Sony and MS game departments need safety valves from their parent corporations is because they're horrible at maintaining profit   Nintendo flat doesn't apply to that mess, so what's the point?

Of course sales will slow down after the holidays. All sales slow down after the holidays. I think we'll see Wii sales level out and stay relatively even after the end of the fiscal year. Likely somewhere around Q3 levels.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

PDF said:

Sony is losing money off the PS3 but not all the money they gained of the ps1 and ps2. Sony risked losing money on the ps2 at the start and looked what happend. Your Idea that Nintendo is a frugal company is wrong. Look at the N64 with its cartridges. The ps1 came in with cheaper price and games and won that generation. The ps1 was bearly even known till the N64 came out.

Im getting a lil off topic.

Anyways Nintendo does not put as much money it to machines because it cant afford to keep up with MS and Sony. So thats why they have taken a different strategy. Even if they wanted to put money into their machines like MS and Sony the couldnt afford it. Rvenues - Nintendo=7.8billion MS=51billion Sony=70billion.

I am not saying that Nintendo will turn out a $500 system next time. I am just saying that they will be able to have the freedom to risk more so you the buyers will get more in return. They will still have the cheapest sytem and they have learned form their mistakes. If the wii lifespan falls short because lack of graphics and power they will simply fix that next time by putting a lil more into it.

I couldn't find the post, but somewhere on the forums here I took a look at the PS1 'age' earnings and teh development costs of the PS2, and then the PS3.

The PS1's earnings helped encourage the PS2, obviously.  However, the PS2 sapped up all of PS1's earnings but started to hit back to zero right from the get go.  It took a year or so to actually turn a profit again, but a number of years of sales generated a nice development cashflow for a future PS3. 

PS3, on the other hand, sapped the entire PS2's profit lifespan before it was even released, and even ran up a debt.  After an entire year, I think the numbers were something like a billion dollars still in the red, way far out from zero....  financially speaking, the PS2 was a better investment in the first 2 years than the PS3 looks to be in the next 3 (assuming they can break even and start to make up some of the debt generated).

(Debt, meaning, by profit of console/software terms, having spent more than you made)

After a year of PS2 sales, Sony's gaming was back to zero, and making stockpile again.

After a year of PS3 sales, Sony's gaming is well below zero still, a billion to make up STILL.

And that probably will take 2 years to get back to that zero.

Problem is, development costs for a PS4?  They need to start making money for the financial backings to even consider a PS4. 

Brawl, Mario Kart, and WiiFit are out early next year. The system will remain sold out. How much they sell will depend on how many they ship.

Melee and Double Dash were the two biggest Gamecube games, and WiiFit is probably going to catch on like WiiSports and WiiPlay.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.