By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

not with brawl coming out

Around the Network

It will keep making 1.8 mil Wiis per month. Slowing down production is too costly.

SSBB says the Wii isn't slowing down until at least Summer 08. There will be a decrease in January while NA recovers from Christmas shopping, but in February things will heat up again.

The Wii has outsold the X360 for several weeks, at least until Halo 3 launched. The X360 will need very aggressive price cuts to keep up with the Wii.

PS3: Nope, not in the US anytime soon.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Bladeneo said:

To be honest, it seems like every single event is another oppurtunity for this large group of people to be exposed to the wii for the first time. It's not as if it came out last week, everyone knows what a Wii is, the number of people who havent seen one is now in the minority so I disagree; each console will suffer a drop after xmas, its natural, I dont think the Wii will see as big an increase next year as many believe.

I don't really think everyone knows what a Wii is yet. I'm not sure if anyone in my family would know what a Wii was if I didn't have one.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

According to that website (if I am reading it right) there are about 125 million homes in the USA. So the Wii has the potential to sell to all of the 125 million homes.

One way or the other, I bet there are a lot of potential customers just waiting to get pulled into the Wii phenomenon. 

every wii will sell out throughout 2008 at the very least

sales will only slow down after xmas because they won't have the backlog they have now...so they'll sell right around 1.8mil/month until they up production

there weren't many top games from january to september last year, but it still stayed sold out...this spring wii fit will sell many many wiis to casuals...plus brawl/mario kart come out this spring...so no way it stops selling out this spring...and the latent demand still won't be satisfied over the summer/fall and then we have holiday season again

wii won't sell less than 1.8mil/month for at least the next 15 months unless it's due to supply...the demand will not drop below 1.8mil/month for at least 15 months, tho i think there is a really really good chance that it won't drop below that in 09 either, so we are looking at least until 2010 before it'll be easy to go pick up a wii whenever u want and stores won't sell out of the wii in the first few days of putting them on the shelves

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

I honestly cant predict anything.

mM
Around the Network

I thin after the holiday's it will not slow down even maybe higher when brawl, wii fit, and mario kart wii comes out and games like animal crossing, and pikmin will help for 2008 and i think in the holidays of 2008 they will anounce new colors and then there will be even more demand. I think the only time it will slow down is the summer.

All I can see is Wii sales getting stronger. I predict it will go the same direction as the DS sales wise.

PC Gamer

The fact is the game library is just starting to really take off, if anything next year will be better because there will be more games released that take advantage of the Wii without just shoehorning Wiimote controls into a port, Devs realize that Wii isn't slowing down, and that Nintendo is getting the lion's share of the profits, you really think a company's shareholders will let them sit back and avoid a potential money pot? And if they don't then Nintendo will just keep raking in the profits along with the few companies brave enough to release games on the Wii, look at Ubisoft and Capcom, they've released games to great success on the Wii with little effort, Wii fit will be a huge driving force as well, because it can be expaned, I fully expect to see Wii Yoga, Wii pilates, Wii kickboxing, etc. within the upcoming year utilizing the Wiimote and balance board, and selling a ton, Wii Fit is going to be a long term health and fitness franchise on the Wii.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

actually, i'll go ahead and make a prediction: wii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08...19 mil by 12/31/07, then 21.6 more from current production is 40.6...finally, nintendo will up production around may to 2.5mil, adding another 4.4 mil to get it to 45mil+

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Yeaaaaa.....who cares about video game sales if you dont even profit from them? What a waste of life. I'm going to get up off this computer and continue living life without squandering it on such trifling matters. And if you people are so sure about your predictions that you put so much effort into researching to make your statements with statistics, numbers, and dates, you guys should make bets with money so that you actually gain something from your useless hobby. Anyway, thanks for your time, and to let you guys know, there is no need to reply to this comment because I will not read it and I will never again in my life intentionally visit this website again. All I ask is that you read this, sit back a moment to reflect on it, and then try to tell yourself what significant gain do you recieve if your prediction is right. It is time to stop playing Fantasy Video Game Console Wars, just get up and play whatever video games you have or get out your house and hang out with friends. 

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.