By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

@ Fastrabbit09 .... I think you are pretty close for '07 and '08

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

naturally the sales will go down in q1 08. i think they will be better then q1 07 for wii though

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Blackhawk FSI said:
naturally the sales will go down in q1 08. i think they will be better then q1 07 for wii though

I predict for the wii, Q1 08 will be higher than Q4 07.

Reason being supply...  Nintendo has not been able to supply 1.8Mil every month for Q4 07, but they will be able to for Q1 08.

it will probably maintain a steady pace.

pdf that question can be asked in any generation, will I keep my ps2 for years or get a other system, will I just play my sega genesis or get a other system.

Yes I did, a gamecube and snes, regular gamers (not meaning casual gamers) plan on getting 2 systems I think, hardcore gamers get more then that.

Around the Network
PDF said:

I will probably get flamed for this.

The Wii is a novelty. I fell for it just like every one else. I was really close to getting one. Heck, I still want one. While it is new and fun now people do get bored. The cheap price and the positive out look by the public is what is selling the Wii. This will not last for 6 years. It will last for 3 years at the most.
When the 360 and Ps3 get near $200 dollars the switch from wii to ps360's will be made by most gamers.

soriku: "PS3 will be lucky to make it to 5.5 Million by years end"

John lucas: "Wii will sell 60 million by the end of 2008"

avinash_Tyagi:" Wii will outsell the entire playstation family put together"

All those quotes so stupidity and dislike towards sony.
Ps3 already over 5.5M
Even if the Wii could sell that many they wouldnt produce that many in 2 years.
That is over 200M Wii's sold.

For thos who dissagree with me. Ask your self this question. Will you go 6 yrs with only your wii or will you end up buying another console?

I don't need another console, and Wii is selling twice as fast as the PS2 did, sorry but its not a novelty, you just can't admit that its about reaching markets that no other console has reached

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PDF said:

The Wii is a novelty. I fell for it just like every one else. I was really close to getting one. Heck, I still want one. While it is new and fun now people do get bored. The cheap price and the positive out look by the public is what is selling the Wii. This will not last for 6 years. It will last for 3 years at the most.
When the 360 and Ps3 get near $200 dollars the switch from wii to ps360's will be made by most gamers.

Ps3 already over 5.5M

For thos who dissagree with me. Ask your self this question. Will you go 6 yrs with only your wii or will you end up buying another console?

So you cherry pick 2 particularly absurd predictions on which to base your argument? The only one that's a legitimate call was Soriku's, and that failed only because Sony was so desperate (and you know it was) that it had to reprice and redesign the PS3.... twice.

But none of that has ANYTHING to do with whether the Wii is a "fad" or not. It's a gaming console with an innovative controller. So long as GOOD GAMES keep coming down the pipe, why should it prove any more of a novelty than the d-pag, analogue stick, or rumble?

Will the 360 and PS3 sell better with lower prices? Duh. But Wii will follow suit when it's demand starts to bottom out (as it had for the PS3 and 360). Next Christmas the Wii will likely be under $200, quite possibly as low as $150, as the playing field gets more level and supply causes demand to dwindle (if the Wii is still $250 in 12 months, it would mean maintaining the same level of demand for 2 years, and that ain't happening (though no one expected this demand to continue for the 1st 12 months either).

As for a 2nd console? Sure. When prices come down a bit, and when I fell the need to get one. Right now, I've got a backup of Wii games, and with Smash Bros and Mario Kart coming, I don't know that I'll have a 360 before next spring (to be fair, my wife and I are spending our XMas money on home repairs, or it would have been on my list).

Now here's MY question: When it comes to the NEXT generation, who do you think is going to be rethinking their approach to console design? Nintendo, or MS and Sony?

'

PDF said:

Ps3 already over 5.5M

I think a better question is, Why would Nintendo need a 6-year console lifecycle? If they can make an affordable, fun "fad" last for 3-4 years, why don't they just invent another fad? LOL. They have been profiting the entire time, as opposed to PS3 which probably will never profit and XBOX/360 which might barely make a profit this/next year for the first time, ever.

Microsoft and Sony have more to lose by releasing a new console (they've already lost so much on 360/PS3 launches)

To be honest, I actually picture myself buying a 360 in a few years or so. But you know what? I would still have a Wii. So if everyone buys 2 consoles, and one will be the Wii they bought at launch, how will that hurt the Wii in anyway?

The Wii is such a cheap console that you can afford to buy another console with it and have the best of all things.

There are also PS3 fanboys that make claims like the PS3 will be winning by end of 08.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

So you cherry pick 2 particularly absurd predictions on which to base your argument? The only one that's a legitimate call was Soriku's, and that failed only because Sony was so desperate (and you know it was) that it had to reprice and redesign the PS3.... twice.

Sorry but Wii can easily sell over the PS1, PS2 and PS3, first the third will pretty much be a non issue, and so the numbers will probably be below 300 million for the whole PS family overall, the Wii has already sold 14 million in the time it took PS2 to sell seven, Wii has yet to be easily available in most markets, and has mass appeal that no other console ever had, its also likely to gain more traction over the next few years as its library grows at a fast rate, and it has yet to drop its price or release a secondary color, there is no reason to expect that its sales will not end up doubling the sales of PS2 and therefore outselling the entire PS family

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)