By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

I think they'll slow down after the January sales, spike around March, then continue to slow down.

Around the Network
SeriousWB said:
I think they'll slow down after the January sales, spike around March, then continue to slow down.

Then spped up again, then slow a little, then speed up then slow a little, then speed up again...and so forth

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

z64dan said:

Nintendo has explained that they are now producing ~1.8 million consoles a month. So, of course there are questions abound!

1. Will this 1.8 million production rate continue after the holidays?
2. If it does, will that be enough to satisfy the non-holiday demand (Jan-Oct 2008)? (remember Nintendo WAS producing 1 million/month, and selling out in many places still).
3. How about the 360/PS3? Will their current price cuts help them (mostly 360) keep up with the Wii sales? The 360 is doing a fine job so far this holiday season, but can it continue?

I hope they can meet demand in 2008.  It's been depressing seeing so many of my friends (mostly casuals) be constantly frustrated and unable to find Wiis. 

TheBigFatJ said:
z64dan said:

Nintendo has explained that they are now producing ~1.8 million consoles a month. So, of course there are questions abound!

1. Will this 1.8 million production rate continue after the holidays?
2. If it does, will that be enough to satisfy the non-holiday demand (Jan-Oct 2008)? (remember Nintendo WAS producing 1 million/month, and selling out in many places still).
3. How about the 360/PS3? Will their current price cuts help them (mostly 360) keep up with the Wii sales? The 360 is doing a fine job so far this holiday season, but can it continue?

I hope they can meet demand in 2008.  It's been depressing seeing so many of my friends (mostly casuals) be constantly frustrated and unable to find Wiis. 

Yeah, seriously.

Aren't Nintendo planning to increase their production rate sometime next January (aka. 2008)?

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wii8dec08,0,1776195.story?coll=la-home-center

But because components have to be ordered five months in advance, they said, Nintendo can't crank up output at its factories in China to meet the holiday shopper onslaught.

So boosts in production take five months plus before they come into play, which is why the ramping has been slow

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

of course it'll slow down, all consoles sells will slow down after Christmas since christmas is a high selling holiday.

Also if there are shortages during christmas, people will just buy the wii after christmas. Wii will just go back to being first just not with huge numbers.

I could imagine in the Jan-Mar quarter...
- production will be ~5.4 million (1.8 million per month)
- sold-to-retail will be ~5.4 million
- sold-to-consumer will be ~4.5 million (this will end the shortages)

In the Apr-Jun quarter...
- production will be a bit higher than 5.4 million (production increase in May or something)
- sold-to-retail will be ~5 million (Nintendo starting to build up Holiday stockpiles)
- sold-to-consumers will be ~4 million (stock will be plenty with 2+ million in the channel).

In the July-Sep quarter...
- sold-to-consumer will depend on a game library that is either not released or not even announced yet
- Nintendo's Holiday stockpile will grow to at least 1 million

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.