By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
pearljammer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
@Avinash_Tyagi - For the Wii so sell more than the whole PS family it would have to sell. 102m(ps1)+120M(ps2)+the amount of ps2 still being sold + psp + ps3. = would probably equal over 300M. Even if it sales twice as much as the ps2 it still would need more. The ps2 was also $50 more and was also strained in production its 1st year.

So was Wii, Wii will be able to reach that 300 million mark

You are, of course, joking right?

The Wii is undoubtedly doing great and is likely to continue that trend and I'm not casting doubt that it won't pass PS2's record... but... 300 million. Do you not think that is being even a bit overly optimistic?

Also, I'd have to agree with PDF in that I wouldn't be able to own only a Wii this generation, sure it has some great games, but I'd still need my dosage of things non-Nintendo as well, whether it'd come from PS3 or 360. But because of some of the target audience that you mentioned, I don't necessarily feel that many others share that same thought. It really is too bad though, you'll miss out on some great games.

Sorry friend but you are one of the gamers who is becoming marginalized by the Wii, it doesn't matter if you get another system, because most consumers aren't, most are going to get the Wii alone. And i'm not being optimistic, in fact i'm starting to think i'm lowballing the figures

Ah, I see. Well that's great. 

While I agree with you to a certain extent, that many consumers are purchasing the Wii without any intent on purchasing either a PS3 or a 360, I would hold my reservations on the word 'most'. If you are, indeed, 'lowballing the figures', I am sure that you are one of the very few who are doing so.

Around the Network

@Avinash_Tyagi: I'd also like to point out that I don't believe that this marginalization will necessarily have a negative effect on us 'hardcore' (I use that term only because I know not to replace it with). Sure many developers will broaden/relocate their teams to accommodate this type of market, but this niche gaming market will still remain as it is still very profitable and I am sure many developers still enjoy making these niche games. Not that you implied such a thing, but I really don't understand how some people paint this a bad thing, that people are 'encroaching' on their hobby... Oh well, the more the merrier! As long as I still get my FF's/Disgaea's/Zelda's/MGS's/etc, I could care less.

Even as Nintendo is reaching out to "casual" audiences, Nintendo is known for their "hardcore" style games anyway; the Metroids, the Zeldas, the Smash Bros., the harder set Mario Karts... sure, Wii might look like a bad omen for hardcore styles, but honestly, Nintendo usually has a good support and applaud for harder core games; just as a first party, they usually aren't bloody (whoopie?).

I hope SEGA invests more in to the Nintendo machine, even more than they lately have. Both have a different spirit for games.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

PDF said:

Over and Over again people keep sayin Nintendo can afford to compete with Sony and MS when it comes to putting money in their sytems.  Nintendo does not have a safety valve like MS and Sony does.  If Nintendo goes bankrupt they are done.  If Playstation and xbox go bankrupt they are saved by Sony and MS other profits.

The ps3 would be the best bargin in sense that it cost $800 for sony to make and only $500 dollars to buy.

Nintendo has a safety valve and it's called porfits. because they're the only one of the 3 making any off hardware.

Just love these nonsensical "fad" arguments. They're as silly as the Sony domination arguments and equally hard to kill.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

pearljammer said:
@Avinash_Tyagi: I'd also like to point out that I don't believe that this marginalization will necessarily have a negative effect on us 'hardcore' (I use that term only because I know not to replace it with). Sure many developers will broaden/relocate their teams to accommodate this type of market, but this niche gaming market will still remain as it is still very profitable and I am sure many developers still enjoy making these niche games. Not that you implied such a thing, but I really don't understand how some people paint this a bad thing, that people are 'encroaching' on their hobby... Oh well, the more the merrier! As long as I still get my FF's/Disgaea's/Zelda's/MGS's/etc, I could care less.

Oh I don't think its a bad thing, I am in support of such a shift, I think it would be wonderful if one day gaming is something everyone does, regardless of interest or age, that there is something for everyone, just like books

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

They will not slow down after christmas, I have personally heard many potential Wii customers saying thet will probably wait til Jan 1 to get them, They are gonna give there kids a picture or something that says when I can find one they get one. My parents did that for me back when the Game Boy Color was sold out just like this. Then SSBB comes out, we might have to wait until march to see a dip in sales.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Sales will slow down, because Nintendo stockpiled for Christmas, not for the period after Christmas.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

of course it will sales slow down after christmas for everything, even the wii

@NJ5

hmmm, true maybe it would be better to say there will still be WAY more demand than supply for a good while, (April) then when mario Kart hits it should revert back

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

radioioRobert said:
jlauro said:
I see a better chance of the wii being subpar this year then next. This year, people might have to settle for a PS3 or 360 because they can't get a wii... It would be crazy if nintendo is still hard to get next year... Time will tell, but I don't think there was as much stockpiling by stores as some people think...

Face it, none of us can possibly know how big the new market Nintendo has tapped truly is. Expect the unexpected. 13 months ago how many people could have predicted one would have to settle for Microsoft or Sony because the couldn't find Nintendo a year after release. But in some cases people truly are settling for the systems that are supposedly "Superior" to the low-powered-gimmicky-fad Wii. And would anyone (except for N fanboys) have expected that N would have at least one year of far outselling Sony & M$.

Again, expect the unexpected. Who would have expected PS2's Buzz or 360's Scene-It before Wii?

We are trying to predict a trend for the Wii based on what typical happens in the gaming industry, but Wii has not followed any historic previous trends in the gaming industry. Anything guess you are making is only that, a guess.

The Wii could just stop selling, or keep expanding or level out, and none of us really know. I'll bet on expanding though.

At the start of the TRU B2G1F Wii software sale, they had 150 Wii consoles. I was shocked that a lot of people in line had not even heard of the Wii until recently, I was the only person there that did not buy one. I think there is a huge untapped market still there, and I have no idea how big it REALLY is. I don't believe any of us do.

I do but I more than likely will be considered crazy for saying so.

Gamerace said:

Looks like I'm going to be the JL in this group.

Wii demand will INCREASE after Christmas. Why? Two reasons:

1) As Happy Squirrel noted, Wii will be introduce to even more people via Christmas get-togethers and they'll want to get Wii's of their own. Just like last year except compounded by the much larger # of Wii's out there now.

2) Wii Fit will tap into the always huge and ridiculous 'I'm going to get fit this year' resolutions of North Americans who have tried gyms, fitness machines, diet pills and will see this as something fun, simply, relatively inexpensive and might actually work (or at least be fun and easy to stick too). This will bring a entire new market to the Wii on top of those already still trying to get one and those noted in #1. I think Wii Fit may be a fad, but it'll be a 6-18 month fad.

At the same time Japan gets SSBB. Then in NA SSBB comes around in Feb, and then Core gamers will be added to the mix looking to get into that action. A month or two after that all markets get Mario Kart which appeals to everyone and that'll keep Wii's scarce.

Wii Fit and continued Wii storages will only spur more mainstream media coverage and the perception that the Wii is a 'must have' item will continue to permeate the mainstream consumer crowds mind.

Beyond that little is announced but we have Animal Crossing - huge with everyone, possibly Kirby, Pikmen, Wii Music, and ever increasing 3rd party support.

'08 Wii sales will easily eclipse '07.

Great job, Gamerace. You did a great job being the JL of the group. Just need a few more pro wrestling/DBZ metaphors and you'll be perfect.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!