By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

I think people are taking the question differently from case to case.

If the question is will December demand continue through January...the answer is clearly no. If the question is whether or not the 1.8m will still be needed I think the answer is yes.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

When relatives and friends come over for Christmas a large group of people will be exposed to the Wii for the first time in person; they're likely to play Wii Sports and/or games like Wario Ware, Mario Party and Rayman Raving Rabids and most of these people (including non-gamers) are going to have a (really) good time. After Christmas these gamers are going to look into getting a Wii and the Wii's sales will remain fairly high in comparison to the PS3 and XBox 360, potentially even selling out; many of the Gamers who played it at Christmas may wait for different games but will (likely) be drawn to Mario Kart or Smash Bros in the first half of 2008, and many of the non-gamers will be drawn towards Wii Fit upon release.

To be fully honest, I'm not certain 1.8 Million consoles is enough to satisfy demand across the world without regional shortages

To be honest, it seems like every single event is another oppurtunity for this large group of people to be exposed to the wii for the first time. It's not as if it came out last week, everyone knows what a Wii is, the number of people who havent seen one is now in the minority so I disagree; each console will suffer a drop after xmas, its natural, I dont think the Wii will see as big an increase next year as many believe.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Nintendo has already announced they will keep production at 1.8mil at least until March. If they are still selling just as fast then as they are now, they will probably increase it. if not, they may lower or actually start stock piling. They are not going to reach 20 mil by end of this calendar year because of supply.  It took them longer to increase production to 1.8 mil then they wanted to...

Will be interesting if January sales match Decembers... I know it will be too late for some, but I also know that demand of the wii is probably over 30 mil right now, so there may well be enough demand to keep wii hard to find... I expect it will continue to sell out until June next year.

The sales will slow down a little a first, and then considerably close to summer, and at this point next year the Wii will be either on par or sub par compared to 360 and PS3.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger.

Mummelmann said:
The sales will slow down a little a first, and then considerably close to summer, and at this point next year the Wii will be either on par or sub par compared to 360 and PS3.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger.

Messenger? Did you deliver that prediction on behalf of someone or what?

I can definitely see that some people still think the Wii is a fad.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I see a better chance of the wii being subpar this year then next. This year, people might have to settle for a PS3 or 360 because they can't get a wii... It would be crazy if nintendo is still hard to get next year... Time will tell, but I don't think there was as much stockpiling by stores as some people think...

Sales will go down, it's only natural as does many other consoles.  But, it will go down only by lack of demand because the holidays have passed.  I believe that there won't be much of a significant decrease in wii sales, especially since SSBB will be out in February.  Mario Kart will also lend a helping hand, but I believe Nintendo will delay it's release for marketing reasons.  By Christmas 2008 , demand will be a bit more tamed, and supply will meet demand by that time, and the wii will still be a hot buy.  Nonetheless, I don't see wii flopping anytime soon

jlauro said:
I see a better chance of the wii being subpar this year then next. This year, people might have to settle for a PS3 or 360 because they can't get a wii... It would be crazy if nintendo is still hard to get next year... Time will tell, but I don't think there was as much stockpiling by stores as some people think...

Face it, none of us can possibly know how big the new market Nintendo has tapped truly is. Expect the unexpected. 13 months ago how many people could have predicted one would have to settle for Microsoft or Sony because the couldn't find Nintendo a year after release. But in some cases people truly are settling for the systems that are supposedly "Superior" to the low-powered-gimmicky-fad Wii. And would anyone (except for N fanboys) have expected that N would have at least one year of far outselling Sony & M$.

Again, expect the unexpected. Who would have expected PS2's Buzz or 360's Scene-It before Wii?  

We are trying to predict a trend for the Wii based on what typical happens in the gaming industry, but Wii has not followed any historic previous trends in the gaming industry. Anything guess you are making is only that, a guess. 

The Wii could just stop selling, or keep expanding or level out, and none of us really know. I'll bet on expanding though.     

At the start of the TRU B2G1F Wii software sale, they had 150 Wii consoles. I was shocked that a lot of people in line had not even heard of the Wii until recently, I was the only person there that did not buy one. I think there is a huge untapped market still there, and I have no idea how big it REALLY is. I don't believe any of us do.  

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
z64dan said:

Nintendo has explained that they are now producing ~1.8 million consoles a month. So, of course there are questions abound!

1. Will this 1.8 million production rate continue after the holidays?
2. If it does, will that be enough to satisfy the non-holiday demand (Jan-Oct 2008)? (remember Nintendo WAS producing 1 million/month, and selling out in many places still).
3. How about the 360/PS3? Will their current price cuts help them (mostly 360) keep up with the Wii sales? The 360 is doing a fine job so far this holiday season, but can it continue?

1, yes it will continue even if sales slow down (which they probably won't) Nintendo needs to fix it's mistake from this year so that it has enough stock in warehouses for next Christmas.

2. Most likely we will see sales jump up to around 1.4 million a month or possibly higher.  Too many highly sought after games coming out and already out for it to really drop much.

3. Yes and no, I see the 360 and PS3 sitting prettier then they did during the same time period as last year but they will see a drop in sales as their consoles are still priced too high.  The drop just won't be as bad as it was last time. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:
After Christmas I think Sales will go down like normal but the Wii will continure to sell very well. However by next Christmas I think it will be very different story. I think it will be = to the ps3 and 360 WW holiday sales. The christmas after that(the 3rd yr) I think it will be in 3rd place for holiday sales.

Unlikely, next year sales will probably be even stronger than this years, and the year after even stronger

Agreed, the Wii will need to see a price cut and a ramp up in production though to truly set the world on fire to run in line with Johnny boy's prediction. ;)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.