By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

Legend11 said:
Demand will go down after Christmas. If Nintendo keeps production at 1.8 million consoles a month after X'mas then you'll see demand plummit around March and it'll be the same situation they have currently in Japan.

Legend, Im not singling you out intentionally.  The demand will be there.  Wii sales WILL go down after Xmas but it wont be because of demand.  It will be because of supply.  Nintendo will not provide us with as many consoles in Jan Feb as they will in Nov Dec.  Its a fact.   I think sales will go down because of supply issues.

Not to mention, WiiWare.  I think that channel will be a runaway hit. 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

I have any evidence to put on that but it will for sure slow but not as dramatic as every Sony's and Microsoft's fanboys expect, and as a Nintendo fanboy the Wii will still rock you on 2008, 2009, 2010 and till the end of time.

I think you are wrong. Nintendo probably has no plans to decrease production because they said they plan to expand to China and south Korea once demand stabilizes. So they have to produce as many consoles as possible to ready for that launch. My guess is that they will aim for a July launch there. So I could see Nintendo upping production.

The fundamental law of the universe says yes.

Sales will slow down post-christmas, its natural for any console to experience that. Next year will probably be strong again, but not as strong as this year, taking a look at japan's wii sales, its not inconceivable that this could happen in NA and/or europe. Albeit, NA sales are likely to stay the strongest of the three.

If the PS3 manages to hold onto its new lead in japan, or at least match the Wii, I see PS3 christmas 08 sales topping the Wii's.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

Of course demand will go down. Your a simpleton if you think overwise.

Remember people ITS AFTER CHRISTMAS! and it will be no different for microsoft or sony.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

I agree with you Astro---.

I think the first 6 months of 08 may just be the pinnacle point in Wii's lifetime with the launch of WiiWare and big hitters ie SSBB, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing (and my guess is Pikmin) coming out as well as third parties on their 2nd / 3rd wave of games.

This is the time that will define if the Wii will be this gens PS2 in terms of market domination as if the point is ever reached when the Wii sales equal combined 360 and PS3 in terns of total lifetime sales then there's gonna be so much 3rd party support thrown the Wii's way.

Even if it has a lower software attach rate if it did have that much higher install base then it's a percentages game. If it slows in 08 then I reckon 08 will be the PS3's year as they will have a decent price, people will be used to no backwards compatibility and some stellar games coming out.

It'll be an interesting year

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

When relatives and friends come over for Christmas a large group of people will be exposed to the Wii for the first time in person; they're likely to play Wii Sports and/or games like Wario Ware, Mario Party and Rayman Raving Rabids and most of these people (including non-gamers) are going to have a (really) good time. After Christmas these gamers are going to look into getting a Wii and the Wii's sales will remain fairly high in comparison to the PS3 and XBox 360, potentially even selling out; many of the Gamers who played it at Christmas may wait for different games but will (likely) be drawn to Mario Kart or Smash Bros in the first half of 2008, and many of the non-gamers will be drawn towards Wii Fit upon release.

To be fully honest, I'm not certain 1.8 Million consoles is enough to satisfy demand across the world without regional shortages

Demand will no doubt go down, but still be very high. With games like wii fit, Mario Kart wii, SSBB the sales will continue to be high thoughout the beginning of the year. Theres still all the people who will want one who didnt get one for christmas.