By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sales slow down after Christmas?

Nintendo has explained that they are now producing ~1.8 million consoles a month. So, of course there are questions abound!

1. Will this 1.8 million production rate continue after the holidays?
2. If it does, will that be enough to satisfy the non-holiday demand (Jan-Oct 2008)? (remember Nintendo WAS producing 1 million/month, and selling out in many places still).
3. How about the 360/PS3? Will their current price cuts help them (mostly 360) keep up with the Wii sales? The 360 is doing a fine job so far this holiday season, but can it continue?

Around the Network

It will slow down but not dramatically because a lot of people will get their New Year present a bit later this year since Wii's are hard to find again. Demand will stay high and the 1.8 million units a month aren't going to be enough especially with SSBB in Februari, Mario Kart Wii short after that and then there's Wii Fit before it will "slow" down just in time for the E3 where Nintendo will blow away the crowd and spur more people to wait in line to get their hands on a Wii.

PDF said:
After Christmas I think Sales will go down like normal but the Wii will continure to sell very well. However by next Christmas I think it will be very different story. I think it will be = to the ps3 and 360 WW holiday sales. The christmas after that(the 3rd yr) I think it will be in 3rd place for holiday sales.

Unlikely, next year sales will probably be even stronger than this years, and the year after even stronger

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

z64dan said:

Nintendo has explained that they are now producing ~1.8 million consoles a month. So, of course there are questions abound!

1. Will this 1.8 million production rate continue after the holidays?
2. If it does, will that be enough to satisfy the non-holiday demand (Jan-Oct 2008)? (remember Nintendo WAS producing 1 million/month, and selling out in many places still).
3. How about the 360/PS3? Will their current price cuts help them (mostly 360) keep up with the Wii sales? The 360 is doing a fine job so far this holiday season, but can it continue?

The simplest way to explain this is this:

A console company does not increase production unless they expect to require it for the long term.  The cost of increasing production is only worthwhile if you are going to need that level of production for the long term.  This is the reason most companies do stockpile for X-mas. Rather than increase production for a few months out of every year they increase their normal production and stockpile the extras throughout the year.

So in short, if you consider that Nintendo is a conservative company we know that their internal projections are calling for at least 1.8m per month.  They might be increasing production still or they be staying steady, but no matter how you look at it they think they will need it.  

Obviously internal Nintendo projections aren't the final word on what demand there is going to be, but I think if you keep in mind Nintendo's conservative nature it is probably a safe bet, even if its not a gaurantee. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Sales will go down WW to jan-feb, will go up again feb-march. In march Wii production is upped to 2,3-2,5M.

@PDF: I agree, that chrismas 08, Wii sales will equal 360+PS3 sales, depending on how high the supply is. I don't think that we will see Wii as supply constrained, as this year.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Brawl comes out right after the holidays = no slowing down

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Wii Fit, Brawl, continued desire to get a Wii from people who couldn't find one, more and more people hearing about the Wii, potential price drop (not betting on that). I think Wii demand will be growing more and more.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5 - plus new Wii colours

Quality for Life

Demand will go down after Christmas. If Nintendo keeps production at 1.8 million consoles a month after X'mas then you'll see demand plummit around March and it'll be the same situation they have currently in Japan.

Wiifit, Brawl, Kart. Nintendo will not decrease production until May or June.