By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little Big Playstation! Or LBP for short and simple.

My points of view :

- PS3 fans feel envy because they see a 360 games getting so popular easily. so, they start hyping the upcoming PS3 exclusives.
- PS3 fans over hype a game because they think that will make it sell better.

that is what I think of....

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Squilliam said:

M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm a gamer, to me sales means crap...for me as long as the games I have to play are of high quality I couldn't care less....

SO yes games like UC2 that won over 100 GOTY awards all over the place are HUGE to me...

I deleted inciteful comment...

White is the 5 letter P word.

Anyhoo does this mean that if my penis wins 100+ awards, I have a huge one? I always think about my penis' awards whenever people say that.

Dunno, if your thinking about your penise so much that's a different problem...

For me media and user reviews/feedback matter, cuz I'm a gamer..what matters to you is something you decide...if sales = quality to YOU then by all means go buy them and enjoy, but making threads to question other people? A bit immature if you don't mind me saying and please feel free to delete the inciteful (whatever that means) comment next time as well cuz I'm done here

Games are an entertainment product first and foremost so quality in this context is the ability to entertain. You can take absolute sales out of the equation by using relative sales and attach rates.

Nintendo games are huge in both absolute and relative terms. What PS3 game comes closest to Mario Karts attach rate? Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 which is closing in on a 25% attach rate. Quality as an entertainment product is its ability to entertain. How an entertainment product does this is less relevant.

Hypothetically speaking a game which can entertain everyone has to be of higher absolute quality than a game which fails to entertain all but a few people. You can speak of quality in a specific sense if you want, and define quality however you want in everything but an absolute definition of the concept of quality.

How big a game is is an absolute definition and not a subjective definition. Therefore you can't use your own personal subjective cues and biases to determine how big a game is.

So what is this absolute definition of how big a game is?

If you're using how well a game sells to determine its "size" (big, huge, etc.), then you've just assigned an arbitrary definition to the term, using your own personal subjective cues. You seem to care a lot more about a game's sales than you do about its quality; that's why you're defining a big game to be one that sells a shitload. Some care more about quality (production value, fun factor, etc.) than they do about sales. They, on the other hand, would define a big game to be one that has great graphics, terrific voice acting, etc.

And on your reproductive organ example, that's a perfect example of equivocation. You proved nothing with it.

i think we chased him off. =/

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:
It seems that Nintendo fans define "huge" as sales, rather than review scores.
It seems that Sony fans define "huge" as review scores, rather than sales.
Which one effects the average gamer more?

Sales, because the more a game sells, the more likely it is that the average gamer gets exposed to the game and learns about its existence.

reviews have something to do with games's quality, sales dont

What a narrow minded point of view.

Of course sales can be a testimony to a game's quality. If a game keeps on selling for months or years, then that is proof that the game is doing something right. Otherwise bad word of mouth would have killed its sales by that point. Strong legs are a better indicator for quality than review scores.

So wii sports>>>>>any other game??????? The only quality game that also sold a lot on wii are MK Wii and NSMBRWii.

Also, Modern Warfare 2 has pretty bad word of mouth and its close to outselling MK Wii, WITHOUT ANY BUNDLES (except the limited xbox 360 one)

To me this whole thing sounds as if the OP can't be happy about the games he has for a console, as long as the owners of another console are happy about their games as well.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Squilliam seem's to be very sad about something, he come's into PS3 thread's troll them and then make's thread's trolling the PS3. I'm starting to wonder if Jack Tretton maybe killed his dog, because I honestly can't see the justification in trolling a game company. I'm thinking it's because he obviously need's to make up for something he lack's.

JamaicameCRAZY made a good point about attach rate's, I hope Squilliam replies.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:

Sales, because the more a game sells, the more likely it is that the average gamer gets exposed to the game and learns about its existence.

Of course sales can be a testimony to a game's quality. If a game keeps on selling for months or years, then that is proof that the game is doing something right. Otherwise bad word of mouth would have killed its sales by that point. Strong legs are a better indicator for quality than review scores.

You seem to put a game's sales over its quality in your judgement process; that's your opinion and I respect that. However, I buy games to play them and have fun with them. The way I see it, reviews tell me a lot more about whether I'm going to enjoy a game or not compared to sales. For example, I bought MKWii, played it for ~5 hours, then never touched it again; that was one of the games I bought solely because craploads of others were buying it. On the other hand, I probably played NHL 09 for more than 100 hours. By the same token, could you conclude that Mario and Sonic Olympics is a better game than No More Heroes, based solely on the fact that the former sold a lot more?

RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm a gamer, to me sales means crap...for me as long as the games I have to play are of high quality I couldn't care less....it's sad how some Ninty fanboys are trolling the sony threads just cuz they had almost no high quality highly reviewed game so far this year, such behavior is kinda pitiful

SO yes games like UC2 that won over 100 GOTY awards all over the place are HUGE to me...

If sales mean crap to you, it begs the question why you, out of all the gaming websites on the internet, post on VGC which is a site dedicated to tracking sales of video games. Why are you here?

I think your the one with the narrow minded pov here..sorry

Games sales can also mean marketing, advertising, promotional efforts, creating hype or featuring characters that have been around for decades so ppl know them and expect quality from them are milked over and over, played a part in it...MW2 comes to mind, so yes, for me reviews by media (credible) and user feedback is what matters, cuz I am not a stock holder or anything

Marketing and hype start to lose relevance after a certain point in time. A game that doesn't have the quality to back it up can't sell for months or years. That's exactly why strong legs are such a good indicator for the quality of a game.

I'm sorry, man. But with this logic, Game Party is of higher quality than many, MANY games. Even some of your beloved first party Nintendo games. But even the users on this very site gave it a score of 2.6.....

RolStoppable said:

The games on the PS3 are so huge due to the gigantic amount of graphics they have. Let me illustrate my point with this nifty graphic:

Hahaha, you are hilarious.

JamaicameCRAZY said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:

Not all games that sell well are quality. Mw2 is garbage and its selling like hot cakes.  Sales can be influenced by advertising, hype, ect. Popularity is not always a good indicator of qualitly. If it was always then Avatar would be the greatest movie ever.

It is your opinion. For me MW2 is excellent game. 24 h in single player and 200 h in multiplayer and I still play it constantly.

... and yes Avatar is the best science fiction film in the last 10 years for me.