By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little Big Playstation! Or LBP for short and simple.

Well this thread was just a disappointment. Somebody throw a freakin' pie or something!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm a gamer, to me sales means crap...for me as long as the games I have to play are of high quality I couldn't care less....it's sad how some Ninty fanboys are trolling the sony threads just cuz they had almost no high quality highly reviewed game so far this year, such behavior is kinda pitiful

SO yes games like UC2 that won over 100 GOTY awards all over the place are HUGE to me...

If sales mean crap to you, it begs the question why you, out of all the gaming websites on the internet, post on VGC which is a site dedicated to tracking sales of video games. Why are you here?

I think your the one with the narrow minded pov here..sorry

Games sales can also mean marketing, advertising, promotional efforts, creating hype or featuring characters that have been around for decades so ppl know them and expect quality from them are milked over and over, played a part in it...MW2 comes to mind, so yes, for me reviews by media (credible) and user feedback is what matters, cuz I am not a stock holder or anything

Marketing and hype start to lose relevance after a certain point in time. A game that doesn't have the quality to back it up can't sell for months or years. That's exactly why strong legs are such a good indicator for the quality of a game.

1. It's a good community, I like hearing and discussing numbers, but do they matter to me when making a purchase? HELL NO! Gaming jewels like ME2 and UC2 gets putsold by games like Just dance, does this mean I will run and buy it? Hell no! :D I'm here to be part of a good gaming comunity, where I believe there are enough people who care about the overall quality of the game than the sales it has..why your here if you can't have an open mind about what exactly 'numbers' mean is a nice Q tho..but then again it's internet :D who cares

2. I agree long legs = good sign indeed...but will I wait for years to find out if a game that has great legs will be better or weaker than a game that sold millions in the first month or so but had crappy feedback? NO, as long as I like what I see and the game has relative positive feedback from users and media then that will seal the deal for me

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

RolStoppable said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:

@RolStop- "Sales, because the more a game sells, the more likely it is that the average gamer gets exposed to the game and learns about its existence"
I disagree. Example. Shadow of Colossus is loved by many but in the US and JP it only has sold 980k. There are lots of games like this word of mouth and reviews can help get a game exposure aswell.

Word of mouth is usually created by a sale that already happened. A game like Shadow of the Colossus gains additional sales by being recommended by people who already bought it and want others to experience what they did.

Let's say the average gamer goes to a video game forum and asks for games he should get, how will people respond?

1) Post a list of games they played and enjoyed the most which usually are the games they bought and still own.
2) Post a list of games that were reviewed highly, but didn't experience themselves.

I am pretty sure the common practice is to list games that one self has already played.

But actually, the average gamer probably doesn't even visit a gaming forum and only talks to people he knows in real life who are possibly average gamers themselves. They rarely read reviews and mostly go by the recommendations of others or try out the games at a friend's place.

In the end you have to ask yourself if people were buying the GTA games in such huge numbers due to favorable reviews or rather because good word of mouth started to snowball.

i know what word of mouth is..

Of course a person that asks someone what games he should get he is going to get their opinion of games they have played. I agree.

In the same token a person looks at all the games on the wall at a store he sees a game that says GOTY edition or won over xx amount of GOTY awards is that going to affect his sale? And since the average gamer doesn't look online or read reviews they might be getting this news for the first time so, reviews do account for sales thats why they put them on the box just like movies do.

I think both helped GTA's sales i couldn't honestly say which got it more sales.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

*Throws Pie*

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

M.U.G.E.N said:
Squilliam said:

M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm a gamer, to me sales means crap...for me as long as the games I have to play are of high quality I couldn't care less....

SO yes games like UC2 that won over 100 GOTY awards all over the place are HUGE to me...

I deleted inciteful comment...

White is the 5 letter P word.

Anyhoo does this mean that if my penis wins 100+ awards, I have a huge one? I always think about my penis' awards whenever people say that.

Dunno, if your thinking about your penise so much that's a different problem...

For me media and user reviews/feedback matter, cuz I'm a gamer..what matters to you is something you decide...if sales = quality to YOU then by all means go buy them and enjoy, but making threads to question other people? A bit immature if you don't mind me saying and please feel free to delete the inciteful (whatever that means) comment next time as well cuz I'm done here

Games are an entertainment product first and foremost so quality in this context is the ability to entertain. You can take absolute sales out of the equation by using relative sales and attach rates.

Nintendo games are huge in both absolute and relative terms. What PS3 game comes closest to Mario Karts attach rate? Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 which is closing in on a 25% attach rate. Quality as an entertainment product is its ability to entertain. How an entertainment product does this is less relevant.

Hypothetically speaking a game which can entertain everyone has to be of higher absolute quality than a game which fails to entertain all but a few people. You can speak of quality in a specific sense if you want, and define quality however you want in everything but an absolute definition of the concept of quality.

How big a game is is an absolute definition and not a subjective definition. Therefore you can't use your own personal subjective cues and biases to determine how big a game is.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
STEKSTAV said:
Squilliam said: ... without diluting my point.

What was your point actually? PS3 games dont sell as well as Wii games?

Close.

Huge PS3 exclusives are huge only when compared to other Playstation titles. Huge being market impact of course as percieved quality doesn't register on a size scale.

What exactly constitutes huge. 10 million plus? For being on this site for awhile your starting to sound like those uneducated people that believe every game is a flop if it doesnt do halo, gt, wii sports type numbers.

Playstations games do just fine sales they meet and exceed their expectations and warrent sequels.

Who is exactly saying that their sales will be huge? What games are you saying are not doing well? I dont honestly understand why you made this thread i havent seen anyone saying any of the things you are implying, is it just to poke fun at the station not having many 5, 7, or any 10+ million sellers. To me this thread has no merit.

Coffee is for closers!

Squilliam said:
eggs2see said:
Nice work squilliam, this is a well thought out attack on both* GT5, the Playstation 3 and PS3 fans all at the same time. But unlike some who would just shove it in the faces of ps3 fans, you have done this with utmost subtlety. Well done.

Give me that christian side hug!

So erm does that mean that when I coined the term 'Domed' vs 'Doomed' for the Playstation 3 to divert negativaty away from that platform when I felt that it was becoming too offensive and prevalent I was performing a 'well thought out attack on both* PS3 haters, fanboys and
negativity*'?

*Note: 'Both' is a term which implies up to three and not two concepts as has been previously implied with the use of the word 'both'.  

In any case why are people assuming that im attacking the Playstation? Im just using humour to point out something thats been overlooked or not well stated in the past in a way that I attempted to make in the least offensive way possible without diluting my point.

What? Ok well i'll answer the part i understand, yea your right i shouldn't have said both, but originally i was only going to say GT5 and the PS3, then i realized you were attacking PS3 fans also, so i added that.  Sorry for not proof reading my post, i forgot it was being graded.

Oh and stop playing, every1 in here knows your a x360 fanboy and this is a blatant (yet another, sigh) attack on GT5 and on the PS3.

Ok we get it, it's sales are crap, especially compared to the Wii.

Squilliam said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Squilliam said:

M.U.G.E.N said:
I'm a gamer, to me sales means crap...for me as long as the games I have to play are of high quality I couldn't care less....

I deleted inciteful comment...

White is the 5 letter P word.

Anyhoo does this mean that if my penis wins 100+ awards, I have a huge one? I always think about my penis' awards whenever people say that.

Dunno, if your thinking about your penise so much that's a different problem...

For me media and user reviews/feedback matter, cuz I'm a gamer..what matters to you is something you decide...if sales = quality to YOU then by all means go buy them and enjoy, but making threads to question other people? A bit immature if you don't mind me saying and please feel free to delete the inciteful (whatever that means) comment next time as well cuz I'm done here

Games are an entertainment product first and foremost so quality in this context is the ability to entertain. You can take absolute sales out of the equation by using relative sales and attach rates.

Nintendo games are huge in both absolute and relative terms. What PS3 game comes closest to Mario Karts attach rate? Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 which is closing in on a 25% attach rate. Quality as an entertainment product is its ability to entertain. How an entertainment product does this is less relevant.

Hypothetically speaking a game which can entertain everyone has to be of higher absolute quality than a game which fails to entertain all but a few people. You can speak of quality in a specific sense if you want, and define quality however you want in everything but an absolute definition of the concept of quality.

How big a game is is an absolute definition and not a subjective definition. Therefore you can't use your own personal subjective cues and biases to determine how big a game is.

Ok i know you are talking in terms of individual sales of games but IF sony was lacking in terms of games sales it would show up in its attach ratio.

Then why is its attach ratio above the wii's? 

1,716,008 (-10%) 479,150,539 6.76
1,419,730 (-27%) 552,182,098 4.27
1,363,790 (-28%) 239,692,970 6.90
1,145,652 (-26%) 349,182,784 8.78

Obviously Sony hasnt had the crazy sellers but a lot of great sellers that people are buying. Since it is not lacking its sales are fine.

Coffee is for closers!

Even better give this a looksey

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/05/15/ps3_game_attach_rate_closes_in_on_xbox_360_s

Coffee is for closers!

Squilliam said:
STEKSTAV said:
Squilliam said: ... without diluting my point.

What was your point actually? PS3 games dont sell as well as Wii games?

Close.

Huge PS3 exclusives are huge only when compared to other Playstation titles. Huge being market impact of course as percieved quality doesn't register on a size scale.

I still dont get it. Whats your point, what are you adressing.. semantics?

Whats your gripe?