By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little Big Playstation! Or LBP for short and simple.

Why are games so huge on the Playstation?!

Its called Little Big Playstation*.

At first I was thinking maybe a disclaimer on all monitors stating all Playstation objects appear larger than reality when displayed. However that doesn't quite make sense. What does make sense is that if you shrink the gaming world down to just the Playstation 3 and then only compare games relative to the Playstation 3 then obviously the exclusive games would appear larger than they actually were. I like to call this effect Little Big Playstation or LBP** for short.

Its bothered me for years. I have wanted to come up with a term to categorise why games on the Playstation 3 always seem to portrayed as bigger than they actually are, especially in comparison to other platforms with much bigger games. See for instance Gran Turismo 5***. Its a mighty big game and thats certain. But is it huge? Look at the Nintendo game list by comparison. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Brothers and maybe Super Mario Galaxy 2 are huge(ererer) and the humble Mario Kart will probably at least double and maybe go 2.5-3* the overall sales of that game yet being humbly in the same genre as Gran Turismo.

So now I humbly propose that perhaps Sony has succeeded even more grandly than anyone had anticipated. They have let people create their very own worlds, stuck the Playstation 3 monolith in the centre of it and declared to all who would care to heart the level that these games are HUUUUGE****.

*Im not meaning for any offense, this is merely in jest. Feel free to come up with your own discriptions of other consoles if desired so long as you make an attempt to not be offensive.

**No breach of Sony copyright intended or implied.

***GT5 was used merely as an example, there are other titles which can be used but I limited it to one game to limit possible offense.

****Disclaimer relative to other Playstation 3 titles.

Tease.

Around the Network

Amen

We spent the last couple months hyping a single game, telling us how it's the new graphic king, it's going to be GOTY, blah, blah/.

Playstation fans why must every exclusive the best new looking game ever? We need to start being like other fans and really support the great games like ME2 and not just the shooters. Seriously I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED in us.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Its true..

Games like Uncharted 2 with its 100 GOTY awards or whatnot and being one of the highest critically acclaimed games ever might've got a few too many cheers for being a Huge game. So fans of the PS3 really need to take a look around at the other platforms and realize that in comparison the game can't really be called Huge, since sales dosent reflect that.

So i propose that you change the term Huge (Bigger) to Better, when you talk game comparisons across platforms. Because that's what you really mean. You feel the games are better because of better technical acheivements (graphics, story, AAA) etc. So when discussing games, dont go saying you feel the PS3 have bigger games, just better ones.

Oh please.

Playstation fans have been ripped apart on every forum/website the first time everybody heard the price of it. (The first couple years it was out.)

We praise and HAVE great games, we support advanced technically looking games.

Every time you were to mention PS3 a while back, you would get criticized for owning one because it was $600.

Added : We were also told by everybody that "PS3 has no good games", well, how the tables have turned.

My Playstation is bigger than yours.

Around the Network

Nice work squilliam, this is a well thought out attack on both GT5, the Playstation 3 and PS3 fans all at the same time. But unlike some who would just shove it in the faces of ps3 fans, you have done this with utmost subtlety. Well done.

psrock said:
Amen

We spent the last couple months hyping a single game, telling us how it's the new graphic king, it's going to be GOTY, blah, blah/.

Playstation fans why must every exclusive the best new looking game ever? We need to start being like other fans and really support the great games like ME2 and not just the shooters. Seriously I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED in us.

Mass Effect is a shooter.

eggs2see said:
Nice work squilliam, this is a well thought out attack on both* GT5, the Playstation 3 and PS3 fans all at the same time. But unlike some who would just shove it in the faces of ps3 fans, you have done this with utmost subtlety. Well done.

Give me that christian side hug!

So erm does that mean that when I coined the term 'Domed' vs 'Doomed' for the Playstation 3 to divert negativaty away from that platform when I felt that it was becoming too offensive and prevalent I was performing a 'well thought out attack on both* PS3 haters, fanboys and
negativity*'?

*Note: 'Both' is a term which implies up to three and not two concepts as has been previously implied with the use of the word 'both'.  

In any case why are people assuming that im attacking the Playstation? Im just using humour to point out something thats been overlooked or not well stated in the past in a way that I attempted to make in the least offensive way possible without diluting my point.

Tease.

It seems that Nintendo fans define "huge" as sales, rather than review scores.
It seems that Sony fans define "huge" as review scores, rather than sales.
Which one effects the average gamer more?

Squilliam said: ... without diluting my point.

What was your point actually? PS3 games dont sell as well as Wii games?