By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little Big Playstation! Or LBP for short and simple.

BrayanA said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:
It seems that Nintendo fans define "huge" as sales, rather than review scores.
It seems that Sony fans define "huge" as review scores, rather than sales.
Which one effects the average gamer more?

Sales, because the more a game sells, the more likely it is that the average gamer gets exposed to the game and learns about its existence.

reviews have something to do with games's quality, sales dont

What a narrow minded point of view.

Of course sales can be a testimony to a game's quality. If a game keeps on selling for months or years, then that is proof that the game is doing something right. Otherwise bad word of mouth would have killed its sales by that point. Strong legs are a better indicator for quality than review scores.

Not all games that sell well are quality. Mw2 is garbage and its selling like hot cakes.  Sales can be influenced by advertising, hype, ect. Popularity is not always a good indicator of qualitly. If it was always then Avatar would be the greatest movie ever.

It is your opinion. For me MW2 is excellent game. 24 h in single player and 200 h in multiplayer and I still play it constantly.

... and yes Avatar is the best science fiction film in the last 10 years for me.

Mw2 isnt complete garbage i was just trying to get my point across. Mw2 multi (which is what i always play) is unbalanced, glitchy, annoying, and had a crapload of problems in the beginning. Its story was ok nothing special but quite short. Cod4 is FAR superior in almost every way.

And Avatar is a ride for sure but there is lots of sci fi flicks Star wars, Terminators, Close Encounters, Et, Aliens, Clockwork Orange, Matrix, District 9, (coming soon) Inception, Ect. It's not better than all of those to me.  Is it the best movie which is what i was referring to definitely  not.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
eggs2see said:
Nice work squilliam, this is a well thought out attack on both* GT5, the Playstation 3 and PS3 fans all at the same time. But unlike some who would just shove it in the faces of ps3 fans, you have done this with utmost subtlety. Well done.

Give me that christian side hug!

So erm does that mean that when I coined the term 'Domed' vs 'Doomed' for the Playstation 3 to divert negativaty away from that platform when I felt that it was becoming too offensive and prevalent I was performing a 'well thought out attack on both* PS3 haters, fanboys and
negativity*'?

*Note: 'Both' is a term which implies up to three and not two concepts as has been previously implied with the use of the word 'both'.  

In any case why are people assuming that im attacking the Playstation? Im just using humour to point out something thats been overlooked or not well stated in the past in a way that I attempted to make in the least offensive way possible without diluting my point.

Are you sure about the "Both" thing? That is the first time that I have ever heard it used for more than two things. If true cool, I learned something new today.

Kinect! who needs video games!

Smashed said:

Oh please.

Playstation fans have been ripped apart on every forum/website the first time everybody heard the price of it. (The first couple years it was out.)

We praise and HAVE great games, we support advanced technically looking games.

Every time you were to mention PS3 a while back, you would get criticized for owning one because it was $600.

Added : We were also told by everybody that "PS3 has no good games", well, how the tables have turned.

Individuals who have been fans of a top videogame brand, facing persecution is a horrible thing.   To have to be in the same boat Sega fans faced during the days of the Playstation and Playstation 2 is horrible. 

calvinandhobbes said:
Squilliam said:
eggs2see said:
Nice work squilliam, this is a well thought out attack on both* GT5, the Playstation 3 and PS3 fans all at the same time. But unlike some who would just shove it in the faces of ps3 fans, you have done this with utmost subtlety. Well done.

Give me that christian side hug!

So erm does that mean that when I coined the term 'Domed' vs 'Doomed' for the Playstation 3 to divert negativaty away from that platform when I felt that it was becoming too offensive and prevalent I was performing a 'well thought out attack on both* PS3 haters, fanboys and
negativity*'?

*Note: 'Both' is a term which implies up to three and not two concepts as has been previously implied with the use of the word 'both'.  

In any case why are people assuming that im attacking the Playstation? Im just using humour to point out something thats been overlooked or not well stated in the past in a way that I attempted to make in the least offensive way possible without diluting my point.

Are you sure about the "Both" thing? That is the first time that I have ever heard it used for more than two things. If true cool, I learned something new today.

Main Entry: 2both
Function: conjunction
Date: 12th century

—used as a function word to indicate and stress the inclusion of each of two or more things specified by coordinated words, phrases, or clauses <prized both for its beauty and for its utility> <he…who loveth well both man and bird and beast — S. T. Coleridge>

however usually it is just used for 2 things.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:

What exactly constitutes huge. 10 million plus? For being on this site for awhile your starting to sound like those uneducated people that believe every game is a flop if it doesnt do halo, gt, wii sports type numbers.

Playstations games do just fine sales they meet and exceed their expectations and warrent sequels.

Who is exactly saying that their sales will be huge? What games are you saying are not doing well? I dont honestly understand why you made this thread i havent seen anyone saying any of the things you are implying, is it just to poke fun at the station not having many 5, 7, or any 10+ million sellers. To me this thread has no merit.

I didn't say they didn't sell fine. They sell well for the plaform inspite of all the hyperbole so hence the term Little Big Playstation.

eggs2see said:

What? Ok well i'll answer the part i understand, yea your right i shouldn't have said both, but originally i was only going to say GT5 and the PS3, then i realized you were attacking PS3 fans also, so i added that.  Sorry for not proof reading my post, i forgot it was being graded.

Oh and stop playing, every1 in here knows your a x360 fanboy and this is a blatant (yet another, sigh) attack on GT5 and on the PS3.

Ok we get it, it's sales are crap, especially compared to the Wii.

You've been weighed measured and found wanting! No just kidding.

Im not an Xbox 360 fanboy. If anything im more a Wii fanboy than an Xbox 360 fanboy at this point.

The sales aren't crap, they just don't meet up to the list war hyperbole which gets thrown around.

JamaicameCRAZY said:

Ok i know you are talking in terms of individual sales of games but IF sony was lacking in terms of games sales it would show up in its attach ratio.

Then why is its attach ratio above the wii's? 

1,716,008 (-10%) 479,150,539 6.76
1,419,730 (-27%) 552,182,098 4.27
1,363,790 (-28%) 239,692,970 6.90
1,145,652 (-26%) 349,182,784 8.78

Obviously Sony hasnt had the crazy sellers but a lot of great sellers that people are buying. Since it is not lacking its sales are fine.

The attach ratio of individual games is more important when talking about how individual games do. Nintendo exclusive attach rates are far superior to Sony exclusive attach rates. For instance Mario Kart has an attach rate of 30% and Wii Fit is pretty close though im not sure how the sales split is now that Wii Fit+ is out and Wii Sports has over 40% attach rate in Japan where its sold. These are the huge titles.

ultima said:

So what is this absolute definition of how big a game is?

If you're using how well a game sells to determine its "size" (big, huge, etc.), then you've just assigned an arbitrary definition to the term, using your own personal subjective cues. You seem to care a lot more about a game's sales than you do about its quality; that's why you're defining a big game to be one that sells a shitload. Some care more about quality (production value, fun factor, etc.) than they do about sales. They, on the other hand, would define a big game to be one that has great graphics, terrific voice acting, etc.

And on your reproductive organ example, that's a perfect example of equivocation. You proved nothing with it.

The absolute definition is of course how well it sells. You can either use attach rate per console or overall sales to determine this.

As for quality, what is quality to be exact? Is it good graphics, sound, 30+GB on a Blu Ray disc and lots of violence? Games like Mario Kart and Wii Sports are obviously some of the highest quality games because people enjoy them. Whether you enjoy them or not doesn't make their quality diminished in any way shape or form.

Tease.

Around the Network

well I look at it this way.
PSP games are small. the UMD is physically only XXcm across giving it a relatively small surface area.

Wii games and PS3 games (and some 360 games - but more on that later) are HUGE in comparison.
sometimes 360 games come on more disks covering more surface are ad can thus be even hugerer.

imagine now... a game system that used laserdisk!!!!
that systems games would be the hugerest of them all.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Smashed said:

Oh please.

Playstation fans have been ripped apart on every forum/website the first time everybody heard the price of it. (The first couple years it was out.)

We praise and HAVE great games, we support advanced technically looking games.

Every time you were to mention PS3 a while back, you would get criticized for owning one because it was $600.

Added : We were also told by everybody that "PS3 has no good games", well, how the tables have turned.

added: now the have the best games and the only company that can compete with sony on a software level is Nintendo!

Gran Turismo is bigger than Halo...