By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

I have played FF6 & can rate it 14 13.86%

I have played FF4 & can rate it 4 3.96%

I have played FF4 & FF6 20 19.80%

I have played al FF's 42 41.58%

I love FF 21 20.79%

Total:101

@Kasz

I don't really understand why your score changes though.

Because if you compare FF7 to other JRPG's your still comparing it to the other FF's released as well as comparing it to Non FF JRPG's.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

10/10

Final Fantasy certainly isn't my favorite series, but FFVII is my favorite game of all time... and personally, with the exception of FFIII on the NES, the first good entry in the series.

Awesome pacing, great sense of adventure and exploration, perfect integration of mini-games to make the adventure more interactive, a lovable and believable cast of a characters, awesome environments (though the character models aren't the greatest, the game still looks awesome even today), great customization system, beautiful and moving soundtrack, unique assortment of enemies... and I could just keep going.

As long as each game is rated, it shouldn't matter which order they are done in...

I think Final Fantasy VII is one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games, and I would give it 6/10.

Reasoning:
-While disc 1 provided great enjoyment, the 2nd and 3rd disc showed lack of focus, and randomness that I really didn't care about
-Characters in the majority are shallow and some join randomly.
-Sound is the reason this game is above FF8 for me, given I would rate FF8 higher...even with the WTF bullshit that happens in FF8.
-Coming off the wave of JRPGs in the Snes era, and even playstation era. This wasn't the gem that I had waited for.
-Lack of Turks (the best group or organization in FF history)

Edit: I can't believe I didn't remember Sephiroth, the worse final fantasy character ever. His accomplishment includes destroying an evil organization (well destroying the CEO), killing a little girl, and making midgar into ruins a city that drains the earth.

For a bad guy, he did more good...than evil.

More Edit: Note now that the only FF that will recieve lower than this for me is XII. Everything is either above or equal to this score.

A 7.0 out of 10..

Good game but I played better games around that time before (Chrono Trigger) and after (Xenogears) it..
I rate 6 4 and 9 higher..

*continues playing SE's Chaos Rings on the iPhone.. plays like one of the old ps1 Squaresoft games... smiles and is happy*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

dunno001 said:
Kasz216 said:
dunno001 said:
Hrm... I'll buck the trend: 3.5/10. Why?

Coming off of the SNES games, there was a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, this game failed on most of the aspects. FF7 really has only 1 memorable scene (Aeris/Aerith's death), the game was painfully easy, the feeling of exploration was lost (too much linearity, but not as bad as 10 or 13), and while the game was designed to look pretty at the time, it did not age well at all in that department. I liked how mini-games started to come into play, but I was annoyed at having to do them to continue the plot.

Looking at the game's mechanics, it went down to a 3-person party max, the lowest in any FF at date. (FF3 had 3 main characters and a frequent guest character.) The materia system was interesting, but led to being broken too easily. A character can cast Phoenix on death? MP absorb on magic giving you nearly infinite magic? And this also leads to the money problem. I did not care for the concept of an "all" materia. But these things were plentiful enough that when you master one, selling it isn't a problem... for 1.4 million gil. That should have you set for money for the rest of the game!

Finally, we have what I consider the biggest detractor, and a sign of where the series was going: the summons. The action time in 4 was sufficient for their use, but a summon in this game ensures that everyone's action bar will be full before the summon is even near done. And then you have the longer ones, in which, no exaggeration, I was able to make myself a melted cheese sandwich and eat it before it finished! It was a "look how pretty we can make things" event. And one that, in my eyes, led the series to almost irreparable doom; I've already cast vanish on it from my view...

Yeah, but I mean... compared to other Non-FF Jrpgs it's not that bad.  You've got some great non-FF RPGs like Persona, Earthbound etc...

However there is also a lot of trash and dang near unplayable JRPGs out there... well like FF2.  Or those first person NES RPGs where you need a map just to get around freakin town.

If feels unfair to take points off a game poorly just because other games with the same name were so much better.  I mean it's going to score lower regardless for being a worse game.

Well, let's see here. The score I gave it is based on a hybrid of where I put it in the FF timeline AND a crossection of all JRPGs. It gets a 4 in the FF line, and a 3 in the RPG line, so I give it a 3.5. And believe me, I'm aware of the better non-FF RPG series, like, as you mentioned, Persona. (And Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey...) Even when we get to FF5, I won't be giving it a 10/10, it's just not the best game ever made. (I give no game a perfect 10/10. Persona 4 comes closest at 9.8.)

As for what you're calling "trash and dang near unplayable JRPGs", I have to disagree on that. FF2 had an interesting system for how to level up, which made it unique. And by the first-person ones, I'm assuming you mean things like Wizardry? I also find those to be fun, it's a game trying to remember what's where, and yes, it DOES bring back the old days of making maps! Or you can just find a cruel game that even maps for you- anyone remember ADOM?

But sorry, I will compare a game to others in the same series, and other JRPGs in general. That for me is the best way to measure a game's quality. All of the scores I give in this will have a higher internal FF score than general JRPG score. But you're going to get what I honestly think of the game, even comparing it to others. Just wait until tomorrow, with the FF8 thread; I'm ready to tear that a new one...

FF2 had a VERY interseting system, and if done right it would of been AMAZING, but due to how it was, you had to do silly things like hitting your own characters to upgrade your health.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@Kasz

I don't really understand why your score changes though.

Because if you compare FF7 to other JRPG's your still comparing it to the other FF's released as well as comparing it to Non FF JRPG's.

I look at it like this.

I only think one Final Fantasy game (main series) is bad as an JRPG.  That being FF2, due to it's innovative system having some serious flaws.

So when comparing it with FF games, it's being compared on a scale where most games are better then it... and only 1 game is worse.

While when comparing it to the JRPG population as a whole... there are a lot of JRPGs better, but there are even more worse... then FF7.

I - ?
II - ?
III - ?
MQ - 0
IV - 8
V - 6
VI - 10
VII - 7
VIII - 6
IX - 5
X - 3
XII - 6
XIII - ?

FFA - 9
FFL I II III (i can't recall which is which, been too long) - say 6 average

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Kasz216 said:

FF2 had a VERY interseting system, and if done right it would of been AMAZING, but due to how it was, you had to do silly things like hitting your own characters to upgrade your health.

I'll admit that the implementation wasn't the greatest, but for when the game came out, they had many limits to work around. HP increasing was tied to your damage taken. Early in the game, of course, the enemies can't hit hard, and it takes forever to gain HP. But my guess is that space limited determining and tracking the source of said damage, so it just so happened that damaging your own party was faster. There were, of course, other glitches also in the system...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

8.5 out of 10. And that rating is comparing it for its time and against other PSX games.

I won't go into detail the specifics of my score. Suffice to say, the game gets derailed after Aeris dies, the main characters leave your party for an extended amount of time, half the characters are pointless, the story has more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese, etc., etc.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Is this score I'm giving it relative to all video games or to Final Fantasy itself?

In accordance to all video games:

9.5/10

In relavance to FF:

5.5/10

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.