By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

I have played FF6 & can rate it 14 13.86%

I have played FF4 & can rate it 4 3.96%

I have played FF4 & FF6 20 19.80%

I have played al FF's 42 41.58%

I love FF 21 20.79%

Total:101
RolStoppable said:
@Fab_GS

6/10

The characters are pretty similar to the FF VII cast when it comes to battle skills. Sure, each character had one unique command, but in terms of stats (HP, MP) they are all nearly the same. Other FFs and JRPGs have clear differences between warriors and magic users for example.

The first 30 % of the game are quite tedious. I have no problems with how all the characters are introduced, but there are tons of battles with little EXP being given. It feels like so much work with so little reward.

Difficulty is another issue, with annoying monsters like behemoths thrown in that perform auto-counterattacks when killed. The challenge of boss battles also greatly varies.

Generally I prefer JRPGs with small casts, because that prevents characters from being benched for the majority of the game. This happens in FF VI with its 14 characters which wouldn't be that bad, if it weren't for the final dungeon where you are suddenly in need of a dozen good warriors (or at least most of them shouldn't suck and have a low level).

This is one of the things that I loved about FFIV actually, how your party changes but not really because you're just benching people. And then when a character leaves and comes back stronger, well that's just cool as hell. Rydia is one of my favorite characters of all time, I love the fact that she starts out kinda underpowered and becomes one of the strongest characters in FF history.

Around the Network

I find it funny we have seem to have tons of FF fans.... yet we have to debate if we should include the whole series which normally be of course

Xxain said:
I find it funny we have seem to have tons of FF fans.... yet we have to debate if we should include the whole series which normally be of course

I don't really think there's a debate on if the whole series should be included, just a giant epic fail on the OP's fault for assuming the series started at VII and everyone else pointing that out to him.

why have we started at ff7? that doesn't even make sense if you were doing all FF's on Playstation as they all are except FF3, anyway FFVII rating:

8/10 its very good but FFVI is better

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

10/10 B3ST GAM3 3V3R!!!

that is all

Around the Network

6/10

-The cast wasn't very good. Cloud and Sephiroth are probably the worst protagonist and antagonist in the series. Barret was a walking stereotype. Tifa just made no sense what so ever. She knew Cloud was full of it and risked the safety of Avalance with a guy she knew was lying. Why? They weren't even close as children. Yuffie was nails on a chalk board personified. I actually liked Vincent. Cait Sith....yeah lets just move on. Aerith was in the game just to die and it would have been a nice twist if the US ad campaign didn't spoil her death in the commercials.

-The story was flat out terrible. While Sephiroth and Jenova get the focus. Hojo was the true villain. Why'd he do it. Good question, maybe SE will tell us some day.

-The sound quality was poor. The game was on three CD's but the sample rate was lower than FFIV which was on a 3MB cartridge WTF.

-The gameplay wasn't very good either. Your characters merely looked different. Outside of limit breaks they had no unique game play aspects.

-The graphics weren't very good. The whole point of having prerendered backgrounds was to save the polygons for more detailed characters. Resident Evil managed to go a good job of this, Final Fantasy VII gave us flat shaded characters with Popeye arms. Combining their low detail with the high detail of the backgrounds was NOT a good combination.

5/5. It's flawed and not very original, but there is a reason this is often cited as the only FF people actually finished. That is because it is paced very well. I love the series, but none of them can come close to VII in that regard.

If VII didn't have Sephiroth. My score would drop to probably a 9! Sephiroth is FF 7.

I have to say 10/10, it really is all its cracked up to be.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Rate it for a Final Fantasy game... or rate it for an RPG in general?

As an RPG in general, I'd give it an 8/10.  Like if I was reviewing it back then.

Intersetingly it scored as low as 75 on metacritic.

As a Final Fantasy game i'd rate it a 6/10.  Mostly based on how broken FF2 was... it's really my second least favorite FF game... but FF2 was just broken.

At least FF8 had Triple Triad.