By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

Final Fantasy Showdown Round #1 -- Rate FF7!

I have played FF6 & can rate it 14 13.86%

I have played FF4 & can rate it 4 3.96%

I have played FF4 & FF6 20 19.80%

I have played al FF's 42 41.58%

I love FF 21 20.79%

Total:101

7/10 - One of my least favorite FF's. Not because it's bad, I just prefer the sword and sorcery setting and dislike steampunk/magicpunk settings. The characters are also kind of ugly stereotypes, and not in a good way. The other problem is the graphics, which fall into that "sure was neat at the time" category, the static backgrounds with the ugly character models to me is unforgivingly bad now. Better than FFXIII though, I can tell you that.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
7/10

All characters are alike, many dumb sidequests and terrible minigames, horrendous character models in towns/dungeons. Otherwise a solid JRPG with great music.

you obviously have not played the game wait a minute.. you don't even own a single playstation console so.. ?

mM

@twesterm

i will nt make threads for them just for 2 votes.

i can also say its sad ppl like u exist who didnt see how gud ff7 is as a game.

@commonman

characters were new nd fresh for the time. but we disagree as i see ff7 and ff13 as the best but u see them as the worst. rate graphics like they were back then, back then they were the best at the time.

At commomans vote:

Average so far - 8.71 (too low) :(

AkibaFan said:
@twesterm

@commonman

characters were new nd fresh for the time. but we disagree as i see ff7 and ff13 as the best but u see them as the worst. rate graphics like they were back then, back then they were the best at the time.

At commomans vote:

I can see what you're saying. I'm going to give it a go when I get a chance to download it on my PS3, since I haven't played it since whenever it came out, maybe I'm being harsh because of some bad memories (I remember I almost broke my controller because of ruby f***in' weapon )

RolStoppable said:
@darth

7/10 is a good score for a FF game. The only one I score higher is FF IX with 8/10. I wouldn't score any JRPG 10/10 going by a full points scale, because the genre is notorious for adding useless garbage into the mix.

Fair enough I tend to rate FF games very highly as I love all of them.

I rate no game except MGS4 a 10/10 and the best JRPG is FF6 at 9.9

Every FF Main game I have played is at the least a 9/10 (lowest being FF12 at 9) 

Do you rate any game a 10/10?

And like leo-j said lol did you have a Ps1? roflroflroflorlforlforlforolfl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
@leo-j

The Chocobo raising is tedious and some things you can optionally do involve lame minigames, like earning enough points in the Gold Saucer to buy the best prices.

The comment about the characters doesn't refer to their personalities, but their battle skills. Aside from the limit breaks which can't be activated too often, they all have exactly the same abilities.

I've played through the game several times over the years, although it has been a while since the last time. Also, I sort of own a PlayStation and I bought five games for it.

Furthermore, I've much more experience with FF than you, because I played I-X and XII.

I agree with point 1

I agree with point 2

and I questioned it because you said you would never own a playstation system. FF VII is avaialble exclusive for playstation (and PC and PSN)

and you are right about the experience, but as a general game I'd give it a 9.0

mM
twesterm said:

6/10

• The characters are forgettable
  • The villain is meh
  • The story is just confusing and boring.
  • The graphics were incredible for the time but the gameplay parts still looked bad and definitely looked worse than the painted backgrounds and drawn sprites from previous games.  What ended up were horrible looking characters and hard to navigate environments

It's sad that people like the OP exist who just assume the Final Fantasy series *really* started at VII and that people don't care about the previous games.

AkibaFan said:
@twesterm

@commonman

At commomans vote:

I guess you just don't get how sad it really is there's a large group of people that just assume the FF series really started at VII and the previous six don't matter in any way at all.

You may see it as obscure because you haven't played it (and probably laughably consider yourself some sort of authority on JPRG's, that's like someone seeing Phantom of the Opera and think they know musicals) but it just really shows how little you know that you ignore classics like those games because they weren't 3D (you probably thought Tactics was bad too).

What you're saying is like asking us to rate all the Mario games but ignore everything before the N64 because nobody played those and they aren't good anyways.  This thread is actually a little insulting.

And I am rating graphics as I did when I first played the game in, what, 1997?  They looked bad to me then and they look bad to me now.  Just because something is new doesn't make it good.

RolStoppable said:
7/10

All characters are alike, many dumb sidequests and terrible minigames, horrendous character models in towns/dungeons. Otherwise a solid JRPG with great music.

Rol, what do you think of VI?