By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

Chrizum said:
Yes, and so have the other 2 consoles.

Nonsense. PS3 has only just started to take off after Sony lowered the previously prohibitive price.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

Although the Wii lineup has a very strong lineup coming this year, most of those games aren't exactly console movers, with the exception of maybe Galaxy 2. We still don't even know if Zelda Wii is coming this year. So I don't think this year will be better than 2008 but it may fall somewhere between 08 and 09. However, that doesn't mean necessarily that the Wii has peaked yet. All Nintendo needs is another massive Wii Fit like hit and they will be off and running again.

I think the Vitality Sensor and its flagship game will be a major factor into whether the Wii has peaked, as well as making more and better Motion Plus games. If the VT is a success, Wii's peak year could be 2010 or even 2011. But if it doesn't take off, 2008 just may be the highest sales Wii will see. Either way though, the console will have legs, just like many of its games, and decline slowly.

The Wii and it's games don't peak, they just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

according to this graph it is on par with 2008...

Yea, supply constraints will really hurt Q1 sales. Honestly I think it is too early to tell if Wii will match 09 sales or continue to drop. Odds are we'll see around 20m sales, as Nintendo cut production to 20m. They really can't go up unless they start producing more again.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Wii is going to be up this year over 2009 without a doubt, next few months we'll see Wii's weekly yoy lead expand, over 2008 will be harder, possible if Vitality is big and a big game is announced at E3, something that ignites sales like NSMB did last holiday

Around the Network

Regarding "The novelty has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics." -       ALL these (novelty worn off, painfully weak hardware, everyone who wanted one has one, Wii owners want to move on to the real thing) are just personal feelings that I have repeatedly read from people who are not exactly in love with the Wii also in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Do people airing these opinions think that repeating them will make them come true?

All I can say is that the Wii during the first 2 months of 2010 has been supply constrained (as has been reported) so to draw conclusions from these 2 months would be false - just like it would be false to draw an opposite conclusion from December 2009 (just 2 calendar months ago.., remember?), where Wii shattered (decimated) the console sales record.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

I think so , with PSmove and Natal comming, Nintendo is going to loose a lot of market share, Having a HD experience with motion seems like the best of both worlds. I think this is why Nintendo is so pissed off, they know it, and there not much they can do.

Chrizum said:
Yes, and so have the other 2 consoles.

2010 should be a better year sales-wise than 2009 was for the Wii though.

yes obviously, I mean the PS3 has been at mass market price for ages now......oh wait.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

bmmb1 said:

Regarding "The novelty has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics." -       ALL these (novelty worn off, painfully weak hardware, everyone who wanted one has one, Wii owners want to move on to the real thing) are just personal feelings that I have repeatedly read from people who are not exactly in love with the Wii also in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Do people airing these opinions think that repeating them will make them come true?

All I can say is that the Wii during the first 2 months of 2010 has been supply constrained (as has been reported) so to draw conclusions from these 2 months would be false - just like it would be false to draw an opposite conclusion from December 2009 (just 2 calendar months ago.., remember?), where Wii shattered (decimated) the console sales record.

did it better than ps2? any evidence of bestselling month of ps2 and wii to see that it decimated sales and decimating is atleast with a couple of 100k.

elticker said:
bmmb1 said:

i think the ps2 is a console and i dont have any evidence to back it up but i what bmmb1 is saying is bullshit cuase i couldnt see the wii decimating ps2 sales.

I think he was referring to the worldwide weekly sales record, which the Wii broked in December 2009.