By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

It was pretty clear by the middle of last year it peaked about February 2008 - Feb 2009. That said, there is also no evidence of a rapid decline and Sony only sold 30m PS2s at more than $200, Nintendo sold 55m Wiis at $250.

In the USA, Wii has had one price drop in 40 months, while PS2 was nearing its third price cut...and Wii is still ahead by ~6m (a year at the rate PS2 was selling in the USA)

USA Pricing History Wii vs. PS2

Launch:  Wii - $249  / PS2 - $299

Cut 1:  Wii - $199 (Sept 2009 - Month 35)

PS2 - $199 (May 2002 - Month 20)

Cut 2:  Wii - ?

PS2 - $179 (May 2003 - Month 32)

Cut 3:  Wii - ?

PS2 - $149 (May 2004 - Month 44)

Basically, because of how long Nintendo has managed to go without cutting price, the company can engage Sony / Microsoft in a nasty price war if necessary over the next year - two years. A 30 million base with every system sold at $200+ is historical for the USA market though, and it will happen in four to five months, tops.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

it should end up somewhere along the lines of

2008 > 2010 > 2009 = 2011 > 2012 = 2007 > 2013 > 2014 > 2015 = 2006 > 2016 > 2017 = 0

axt113 said:
sergiodaly said:
i am no expert but my predictions points to 17 mil this year... this with no price cut...

17 Million, lol, no way, last year they sold 22 million, and Wii sales plummeted for much of the year, this year they have shortages, and are already up yoy, so no way they'll lose 5 million in sales

but last year wii had 8 months of 150$ price advantage over the playstation (don't really know about xbox but i think this also applies to MS console too)... this year is going to be 12 months of only 100$ price advantage over the competition... my 17mil (might go up to 19mil with very good holyday season and zelda) prediction its for, no wii price cut in 2010... in therms of software, wii doesn't have system sellers like its competitors IMO this year (yes zelda might bring some light into wii sales but not sure that comes this year)...

like i said, i am no expert...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
axt113 said:
sergiodaly said:
i am no expert but my predictions points to 17 mil this year... this with no price cut...

17 Million, lol, no way, last year they sold 22 million, and Wii sales plummeted for much of the year, this year they have shortages, and are already up yoy, so no way they'll lose 5 million in sales

but last year wii had 8 months of 150$ price advantage over the playstation (don't really know about xbox but i think this also applies to MS console too)... this year is going to be 12 months of only 100$ price advantage over the competition ... my 17mil (might go up to 19mil with very good holyday season and zelda) prediction its for, no wii price cut in 2010... in therms of software, wii doesn't have system sellers like its competitors IMO this year (yes zelda might bring some light into wii sales but not sure that comes this year)...

like i said, i am no expert...

It's a good thing you are no expert, all the experts predicted that the end of gen sales of the Wii would be 18 million..

The Wii does not sell based on such things as "price advantage over the PS3" - the Wii sells on its own merits. 2010 will see the greatest game releases on the Wii of any year, beating even 2008

Damnyouall said:

Most likely. The noveltey has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics.

Still, the Wii is close to outselling both consoles this year. I think it is a gimmick console with only a few must-buy games, but a lot of people are buying it because of the motion-controls. 

Human contact, the final frontier.

Around the Network

2008 was the year with the biggest demand, but It is still selling 20 million every year.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
Damnyouall said:

Most likely. The noveltey has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics.

Still, the Wii is close to outselling both consoles this year. I think it is a gimmick console with only a few must-buy games, but a lot of people are buying it because of the motion-controls. 

Motion Contols do not sell games. Just look at the sales of third parties on the Wii. It's the good to great software that sales the system. For example, New Super Mario Bros. has lifted the sales of the Wii in every region thus far and helped the Wii break the single month sales record during the holidays that was held by the PS2.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

I think it'll be pretty steady overall this year compared to last year. 2008 may have been a peak but I don't think sales will fall or rise significantly year over year overall wordwide.

yes wii has already peaked, but it will not fall fast, so don't worry, i predict crazy wii sales for at least another 2 years

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Demotruk said:
2008 will be very tough to beat. Beating 2009 is likely.

Agreed.  They'll beat 2009 for sure imo (stronger core oriented lineup, stronger evergreens from last year, lower pricepoint) but I think 2008 is just too far a goal.  2010 will be the 2nd peak, then it'll start to decline YOY in 2011 and on.