By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

Mazty said:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/the-nintendo-wii-is-a-virus-says-ex-dice-boss-673627

...I knew who you were referring to...I really wanted to know what makes him the authority on the Wii.  He doesn't even work there anymore.  By the way, he's already been mocked in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102381  Check it out.  

Out of all the people I know who own a wii, this is true. They no longer use it, or use it very infrequently. I'd say he knows more about the gaming industry than either one of us, therefore it'd be naive to ignore his opinion.

Well, since you know all ~70 million Wii owners, this conversation's done then.  Oh wait...you don't.  The total playtime hours for many games keeps increasing (including Wii Fit).  Fact.  Wii sells a hell of a lot of software.  Fact.  I'd say facts are move reliable than your opinions, therefore it'd be naive to ignore them.  

In the UK, the adverts are presented by female celebrities aimed at middle aged women....It says anyone can use it, but the adverts are more aimed at women then men. Again, not really something that can be argued.

I don't live in the UK, nor do I care enough to look up the commercials for your region.  In the US I see commercials with EVERYONE using it.  Consider your point argued.

No, the wii has hardware limitations as it's GPU and CPU suck, and it's awful in terms of being a media center, something which the 360 is more than capable of being, and something the PS3 excels at. There is a massive power difference between the PS3 and the wii, whereas with last gen, the difference was very little.

And again, it's had a motion controller since it launched.  As for the media center argument...and???  The Wii is a video game console.  Who says it has to excel at being a media center?  

What are you on about? Those links are very dated and reguardless, Reggie said the wii is aimed for a younger audience - end of point, unless you really, really think you know better than the offical spokesman of Nintendo....

Dated?  I gave you a link to the official Nintendo website.  Unless you really, really think you know more than Nintendo themselves...

If you claim Mario is good, you are saying the genre has barely developed in two decades. Is that what you are claiming?

Huh?  I'm not sure I follow that sentence...  But if you're saying that Mario is platforming at its finest, then you're right!  

I'm repeating what people who have worked in the gaming industry have said, as well as going with my own expereince. Is that really foolish or trolling?

Read: an unknown ex-dev and your friends.  It's silly to say the least. 

@atama

Sorry, but you showed you were incapable of reading my earlier posts so I shan't reply to you as you clearly are not going to read whatever I put, but just reply with flame-bait answers with no actual depth.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
Just Curious. What do you think of Move? LoL.

That's it's the most technologically advanced controller and it can play movies.  Duh!  

Warrior of Light

BoleroOfFire said:
Mazty said:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/the-nintendo-wii-is-a-virus-says-ex-dice-boss-673627

...I knew who you were referring to...I really wanted to know what makes him the authority on the Wii.  He doesn't even work there anymore.  By the way, he's already been mocked in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102381  Check it out.  

Out of all the people I know who own a wii, this is true. They no longer use it, or use it very infrequently. I'd say he knows more about the gaming industry than either one of us, therefore it'd be naive to ignore his opinion.

Well, since you know all ~70 million Wii owners, this conversation's done then.  Oh wait...you don't.  The total playtime hours for many games keeps increasing (including Wii Fit).  Fact.  Wii sells a hell of a lot of software.  Fact.  I'd say facts are move reliable than your opinions, therefore it'd be naive to ignore them.  

In the UK, the adverts are presented by female celebrities aimed at middle aged women....It says anyone can use it, but the adverts are more aimed at women then men. Again, not really something that can be argued.

I don't live in the UK, nor do I care enough to look up the commercials for your region.  In the US I see commercials with EVERYONE using it.  Consider your point argued.

No, the wii has hardware limitations as it's GPU and CPU suck, and it's awful in terms of being a media center, something which the 360 is more than capable of being, and something the PS3 excels at. There is a massive power difference between the PS3 and the wii, whereas with last gen, the difference was very little.

And again, it's had a motion controller since it launched.  As for the media center argument...and???  The Wii is a video game console.  Who says it has to excel at being a media center?  

What are you on about? Those links are very dated and reguardless, Reggie said the wii is aimed for a younger audience - end of point, unless you really, really think you know better than the offical spokesman of Nintendo....

Dated?  I gave you a link to the official Nintendo website.  Unless you really, really think you know more than Nintendo themselves...

If you claim Mario is good, you are saying the genre has barely developed in two decades. Is that what you are claiming?

Huh?  I'm not sure I follow that sentence...  But if you're saying that Mario is platforming at its finest, then you're right!  

I'm repeating what people who have worked in the gaming industry have said, as well as going with my own expereince. Is that really foolish or trolling?

Read: an unknown ex-dev and your friends.  It's silly to say the least. 

@atama

Sorry, but you showed you were incapable of reading my earlier posts so I shan't reply to you as you clearly are not going to read whatever I put, but just reply with flame-bait answers with no actual depth.

So he's been mocked why? Because he stated an opinion? If you look at many, many surveys they always come back with that wii's are hardly used.

Well the advert on the Nintendo website is 2/3rds women, so to say it's not aimed at women, or it is in one country and not another makes no sense.

So what it has a motion controller? How does having a motion controller suddenly remove GPU and CPU problems?! Sorry that just shows you have no understanding of components. The wii is technically by far the weakest as well as does the least in comparison to the other two consoles, limiting it's game line up.

So you ARE trying to say Reggie is wrong? Of course the website is going to say the wii is for everyone, because it'd be stupid not to. However, it is official that the Wii is not aimed at hardcore gamers. Stop trying to argue this point - take it up with Nintendo if you must disagree.

So you are saying that platforming has had little improvements in 20 years of gaming development...Riiiiight.

Read: An industry professional, surveys and the offical Nintendo spokesman. What are you going on? Marketting speal and your own opinion.

As for Move unless it gets 1:1 and real time response, it's pointless/ a gimick. You slash a sword, if it goes rebounds of the shield but your hand carries on moving, it's broken all immersion, rendering it pointless. If it could be used to effectively use iron sights, then that's improving gameplay.
Not really a "LOL!" question, unless you think I was going to say "IT RULZ!!!!".....

I'm not a fanboy, I'm just pissed off that gaming has gone down the crapper this generation due to a complete lack of innovation and originality and more foucs on gimicks and rehashing old concepts.

@Arius: Do you speak gibberish? If so, please translate. It hurts my head. Especially when facts are passed up for opinions.

Warrior of Light

I took a class in it once or twice..But I'm not fluent in it..I'd try google.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Guys, stop trying to understand anything logic in what he said. The guy just doesnt want to face the truth and doesnt accept the fact that the Wii is actually kicking the ass of his beloved HD consoles.

atma998 said:
Guys, stop trying to understand anything logic in what he said. The guy just doesnt want to face the truth and doesnt accept the fact that the Wii is actually kicking the ass of his beloved HD consoles.

Theres been an influx of these types around these forums lately. Not from the veteran posters who've always hated the Wii, but these new ones with 200 posts or less. Which is pretty funny, to me at least.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

patjuan32 said:
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
patjuan32 said:
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
Damnyouall said:

Most likely. The noveltey has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics.

Still, the Wii is close to outselling both consoles this year. I think it is a gimmick console with only a few must-buy games, but a lot of people are buying it because of the motion-controls. 

Motion Contols do not sell games. Just look at the sales of third parties on the Wii. It's the good to great software that sales the system. For example, New Super Mario Bros. has lifted the sales of the Wii in every region thus far and helped the Wii break the single month sales record during the holidays that was held by the PS2.

I wouldn't classify Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Music, Wii Play, Carnival Games, Deca Sports and Just Dance as great software, but they had tremendous sales, (1 million+) Correct me if I'm wrong, all those games outsold one of the Wii's best games, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Zelda and Mario games are the exceptions to the rule. It isn't clear that good games move consoles when talking about the Wii, as a lot of lower-quality, gimmicky motion-controlled games have dominated several great games for the Wii in sales. 

It does not matter if you think a game is good or great. You are not the only person in the market place. The people that have purchased the software will tell you otherwise. Games appeal to different groups of people. If you do not like a game then maybe that game is not for you. But it does not mean that other people can not enjoy the game and think it's a quality title. Those games that you've mentioned are also outselling just about every game on the HD platforms also.

As for you last statement about how it's not clear if good software boost the sales of the Wii. Just go back to 2008 when Brawl, Mario Kart, and Wii Fit were released. That's the biggest Year the Wii has had so far. Oh, and let's not forget Monster Hunter 3 in Japan and New Super Mario Bros. in every region. You are on a sales site and should know this information already. I should not have to do your research for you

Yes you are right. 2008 was a good year for the Wii and it had good software. But in 2007 and 2009, they weren't a whole lot of great Wii games, with the casual market dominating those two years.  The casual gaming trend has resulted in non-gamers buying shovelware such as Just Dance and not buying great games such as Dead Space Extraction and MP3:Corruption. I still buy games for my Wii, with the last one being NSMB Wii, but the PS3's great lineup in 2009 and 2008 has resulted in me buying more games for my PS3 and less for my Wii. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do like hardcore games. And shovelware on the Wii really annoys me as a gamer, and I know that it annoys other gamers as well. It is not that the Wii doesn't have games (I have never said that) it is just that consumers are not choosing the best games like the other six generations for the most part, they are choosing the most accessible games.

Also, patjuan32, I doubt you buy casual games and shovelware for the Wii, so why defend bad games?  

Human contact, the final frontier.

Arius Dion said:
Just Curious. What do you think of Move? LoL.

Expensive, unoriginal piece of crap. Quite simply, this will continue to add to the financial failure that is the PS3

Human contact, the final frontier.