By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

We'll just have to wait until 2011.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Around the Network

I think without knowing the second half line up for software its impossible to say what will happen this year. With galaxy 2 and Metroid other M coming out in may and june respectifully I think this is going to be a great year. The one thing to keep in mind is the economy is crap right now 2008 was the year of the crash. So based on pure economics and the fact those who have still been riding their unemployment checks until just a couple weeks ago aren't anymore. 2010 is going to be tough year for wii and the rest of the industry, economy. My prediction that at best 2008 will remain the peak year and that Wii will sell on par or just under par with the 2009 figures.

All your base now belong to us........

jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

Slightly fixed. Also, I distinctly recall the exact same argument by a lot of people before NSMBWii came out. This , in conjunction with the argument that everybody who wanted a Wii already got one.

I'm not the minority though - many, many gamers consider the wii to be poor at producing hardcore titles, which is backed by the wii devs and the sales of the more hardcore games as the wii cannot provide advanced graphics, advanced physics and advanced ai - key elements to hardcore titles.

NSMBWii was always going to sell because of a)Japan b)Nostalgia. SMG2 and Zelda already have had titles on the wii, so the nostalgia factor can't/won't kick in.

You don't seem able to grasp that the new Zelda didn't have a predecessor on Wii though.  It's like equating Galaxy 1 to NSMB or Prime 3 to Other M.  This isn't just some sequel, it's a series shift.  It's a situation more like NSMBWii than Galaxy 2 in fact.

As for "poor at hardcore" Wii opinions, well that's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy on the platform, and has been the opinion of most naysaying developers and analysts since before the Wii even hit the shelves.  Thankfully the actual market seems to disagree (Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Smash Brawl, Mario Kart, NMH, RE4, MH3, Samurai Warriors 3, TatsuCap, HOTD, etc, etc).

Hardcore game = advanced graphics & ai. The wii cannot do either. Twilight Princess was hardly hardcore, or Galaxy etc as they have a large appeal to children, something with seperates hardcore games from casual games. Mario Karts hardcore? Get a grip of reality. And RE4 was on PS2 so hardly a console seller.

The Nintendo spokesman admitted as much so you really can't argue this unless you think you know better then them.

Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

Slightly fixed. Also, I distinctly recall the exact same argument by a lot of people before NSMBWii came out. This , in conjunction with the argument that everybody who wanted a Wii already got one.

I'm not the minority though - many, many gamers consider the wii to be poor at producing hardcore titles, which is backed by the wii devs and the sales of the more hardcore games as the wii cannot provide advanced graphics, advanced physics and advanced ai - key elements to hardcore titles.

NSMBWii was always going to sell because of a)Japan b)Nostalgia. SMG2 and Zelda already have had titles on the wii, so the nostalgia factor can't/won't kick in.

You don't seem able to grasp that the new Zelda didn't have a predecessor on Wii though.  It's like equating Galaxy 1 to NSMB or Prime 3 to Other M.  This isn't just some sequel, it's a series shift.  It's a situation more like NSMBWii than Galaxy 2 in fact.

As for "poor at hardcore" Wii opinions, well that's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy on the platform, and has been the opinion of most naysaying developers and analysts since before the Wii even hit the shelves.  Thankfully the actual market seems to disagree (Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Smash Brawl, Mario Kart, NMH, RE4, MH3, Samurai Warriors 3, TatsuCap, HOTD, etc, etc).

Hardcore game = advanced graphics & ai. The wii cannot do either. Twilight Princess was hardly hardcore, or Galaxy etc as they have a large appeal to children, something with seperates hardcore games from casual games. Mario Karts hardcore? Get a grip of reality. And RE4 was on PS2 so hardly a console seller.

The Nintendo spokesman admitted as much so you really can't argue this unless you think you know better then them.

The amount of stupid in this post has brought tears to my eyes. ;_;

There are quite literally games that are more hardcore on DSiWare than something like Modern Warfare 2, GTA4 or Dead Space.  Plz don't breed.

jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

There are quite literally games that are more hardcore on DSiWare than something like Modern Warfare 2, GTA4 or Dead Space.  Plz don't breed.

+1

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

Hmmm. So it was clear to you what kind of system selling effect NSMBWii will have? Is that why you said October 11th 2009 after the Wii price drop, just a month before NSMBWii came out, "reckon there will be a 75k drop in figures, and a lesser Christmas boom than seen previously. Figures may stablise at 200k, or less, I'd like to think/believe." ?  

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

By your definition there were no "hardcore" games before this gen, since the PS2 et al were weaker than the Wii. If that's the case, then what relevance do "hardcore" games even have?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

If it's aimed for kids, it's not hardcore. If it's not challenging, it's not hardcore, therefore any game on the wii that relies on AI isn't hardcore. Go pick up a real game and stop QQ ing that your beloved console is meant for kids, as addmitted by the guys who made it.

Demotruk said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

By your definition there were no "hardcore" games before this gen, since the PS2 et al were weaker than the Wii. If that's the case, then what relevance do "hardcore" games even have?

Don't be willfilly stupid - hardcore is going to be in relation to the games in the market at that moment.

bmmb1 said:
Mazty said:
bmmb1 said:

Hmmm. So it was clear to you what kind of system selling effect NSMBWii will have? Is that why you said October 11th 2009 after the Wii price drop, just a month before NSMBWii came out, "reckon there will be a 75k drop in figures, and a lesser Christmas boom than seen previously. Figures may stablise at 200k, or less, I'd like to think/believe." ?  

I didn't know of the existance of NSMBWii - if I had, it's clear hark back to sheer nostalgia is a certain home run due to all the Nintendo fan boys out there who'd have bought it if it was nothing more than the first level made for wii.