By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Slim on the way? Steve Balmer talk

I had thought it would not be possible to go with a slim 360 because of the hard drives size/ compatibility.

But if MS wants to go slim, then they will have an all internal hard drive (unlikely), a smaller detachable hard drive on the side of the unit, or some sort of an attachment that allows fat hard drives to be linked to slim 360's.

any way you look at it, its kind of a headache.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
papflesje said:
Twistedpixel said:

Early PS3s in the mid term (3-4 years) are about as unreliable as the Xbox 360s. The 60GBs will be very rare by the time the next PS3 launches. It takes them longer to fail but pretty much every single one is doomed due to the heat and the new solder.

Love to see a link about this though. Never heard about that.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1388522&postcount=137

I think the best way to get a feel for the console failure rate is at dev studios actually. The dev kits there are in use 24/7, 365 days a year so they effectively get accelerated wear and tear. Early 360's broke en masse, I remember an entire wall built with broken 360's when I worked with 2K way back, it was quite shocking to see that many all stacked like bricks waiting to be returned. But that failure rate dropped dramatically over time. PS3's broke rarely early on (the test kits that look like retail PS3's), but they have continued to break at a relatively steady rate to where given enough time eventually they all broke (the early models). As far as I could tell, all launch models of both machines are doomed to eventual failure, it just takes PS3's much longer before failure. I presume this has all been fixed now since anytime there were kit failures at the last place I was at they were usually older models.

Every single 60GB PS3 they had broke. I've seen other accounts which are similar too from developers but thats the only link I saved.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Hmm...

I doubt they would do it at the same time as Natal AND a pricecut. If they would do it, i think they would save it for an extra boost if they want Xbox 360 to stay for another 5 years.

Plus, they would need to find a way around the HDD. Along with making it reliable, they don't want another RROD fiasco.

We KNOW M$ has been working on a smaller chipset to at least 45nm, but 32 nm isn't out of the question. I don't think M$ will launch a redesign 360, but they very well might, but it's going to be a cost condsideration move, imho. They are going to try to make the 360 manufacturing cost as cheap as possible to maintain their price points, if not reduce them drastically.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Twistedpixel said:
papflesje said:
Twistedpixel said:

Early PS3s in the mid term (3-4 years) are about as unreliable as the Xbox 360s. The 60GBs will be very rare by the time the next PS3 launches. It takes them longer to fail but pretty much every single one is doomed due to the heat and the new solder.

Love to see a link about this though. Never heard about that.

I think the best way to get a feel for the console failure rate is at dev studios actually. The dev kits there are in use 24/7, 365 days a year so they effectively get accelerated wear and tear. Early 360's broke en masse, I remember an entire wall built with broken 360's when I worked with 2K way back, it was quite shocking to see that many all stacked like bricks waiting to be returned. But that failure rate dropped dramatically over time. PS3's broke rarely early on (the test kits that look like retail PS3's), but they have continued to break at a relatively steady rate to where given enough time eventually they all broke (the early models). As far as I could tell, all launch models of both machines are doomed to eventual failure, it just takes PS3's much longer before failure. I presume this has all been fixed now since anytime there were kit failures at the last place I was at they were usually older models.

Every single 60GB PS3 they had broke. I've seen other accounts which are similar too from developers but thats the only link I saved.

that still does not mean all of the development kit's did that.

esp. not 11 million..notice that's 11 million xbox360 SYSTEM'S released had a critical  fault. Robbie Bach even talked about this, that is no way shape of form is the PS3 ever or has been on that level of a system % of failure.

no offence your reaching kind of hard.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

esp. not 11 million..notice that's 11 million xbox360 SYSTEM'S released had a critical  fault. Robbie Bach even talked about this, that is no way shape of form is the PS3 ever or has been on that level of a system % of failure.

Its not a hard stretch to call the early 60GBs unreliable. My own personal anecdote is that my 60GB has broken along with 2/3 of my friends who had them from around launch. The one which isn't broken hasn't been used much. Supported by the above statement, supported by reports of vastly higher failure rates for electronics released in the short term due to the changeover to lead free solder and supported by the fact that the competing console with close to similar power/heat has a large failure problem. Im not reaching, im just being honest. The early consoles from this generation are all gonna be fucked except for the Wiis most likely.

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

Its not a hard stretch to call the early 60GBs unreliable. My own personal anecdote is that my 60GB has broken along with 2/3 of my friends who had them from around launch. The one which isn't broken hasn't been used much. Supported by the above statement, supported by reports of vastly higher failure rates for electronics released in the short term due to the changeover to lead free solder and supported by the fact that the competing console with close to similar power/heat has a large failure problem. Im not reaching, im just being honest. The early consoles from this generation are all gonna be fucked except for the Wiis most likely.

yes it is, because

the fact that ever since the xbox360's failure rate it seem's some fan's want the PS3 to "some how"  be in that same boat of a failure rate along with the xbox360

before it was

I'm starting to see more yload problem's on the internet

than

it was o'l the lead free solder is going to make sure the PS3's are going to fail.

both the above may be true in some cases, but it is no where near the level of the xbox360 failure and most likely never will due to the fact that if it did, the PS3 would have had a 33%-54% failure rating. if anything it's in the standard 3% ammount. because there would have been sony right along with microsoft having to pay billion's of $$$ to the consumer. in extended warranty or other thing's like taking in quite a number of failed system's on repair.

the xbox360 has reduced that high % of failure rate because of many thing's that Microsoft fixed in order to fix that problem. which is great, but as for the PS3 having that percentage as High as the Xbox360, now yes everything with moving part's will fail. so yea it will get worn out down the road,

but not on the level that the xbox360 had.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:

yes it is, because

the fact that ever since the xbox360's failure rate it seem's some fan's want the PS3 to "some how"  be in that same boat of a failure rate along with the xbox360

before it was

than

it was o'l the lead free solder is going to make sure the PS3's are going to fail.

both the above may be true in some cases, but it is no where near the level of the xbox360 failure and most likely never will due to the fact that if it did, the PS3 would have had a 33%-54% failure rating. if anything it's in the standard 3% ammount. because there would have been sony right along with microsoft having to pay billion's of $$$ to the consumer. in extended warranty or other thing's like taking in quite a number of failed system's on repair.

the xbox360 has reduced that high % of failure rate because of many thing's that Microsoft fixed in order to fix that problem. which is great, but as for the PS3 having that percentage as High as the Xbox360, now yes everything with moving part's will fail. so yea it will get worn out down the road,

No its really quite simple.

Every 60GB PS3s solder joints will crack.

Every 60GB PS3s heat spread compound will go dry and brittle and lose effectiveness.

Every 60GB PS3 which is used will die.

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:

yes it is, because

before it was

than

Every 60GB PS3s heat spread compound will go dry and brittle and lose effectiveness.

no your trying to use a small sample to make it seem like it represent's the status as a whole

that's what is simple:

like I said you are reaching.

here let me help you:

Thursday, 17 September 2009

More than 150 Watchdog viewers have contacted us to say they've experienced it, and by Sony's own admission, around 12,500 of the 2.5 million PlayStations sold in the UK have shut down in this way since March 2007. The problem is mainly thought to affect the 60GB launch model, but Sony repeatedly refuses to release the failure rate for that model, claiming that the information is "commercially sensitive

so that's as of late last year

12,500 system's out of 2.5 million!

and yet you want to say that is even close to 11 ,million system that have had a complete critical error.

not even close my friend.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

no your trying to use a small sample to make it seem like it represent's the status as a whole

that's what is simple:

like I said your are reaching

No, what im saying is that almost every PS3 60GB launch model is going to die within a timespan which is within the expected lifespan of the product (6 years). Most 40GBs will die on the same terms as well. This is due to the solder used and the heat compound between the heatsink and the chip being inadequate.