Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Did you question Sony's ability to manufacture a reliable console after both the PS1 (overheating and DRE) and PS2 (DRE) were unreliable. The PS3 is Sony's first reliable console.

1st run PSP-1000s also had the disc ejecting issue (and Sony's shitty dead pixel policy).  Sony actually had class action lawsuits against them for PS1 and PS2 though, *everyone* I knew with a pre-PSone PS1 had them stop playing FMV, had to turn them sideways and eventually they died anyway.  That happened with my 96 PS1, though my launch PS2 luckily never had any issues before I sold it and upgraded to a slim.

so does microsoft now, and much worse state.

newer PSP and and ps3 are nice built, and sony panels are made by samsung. samsung have the shitty pixel policy ,i know i have deal with them with my TV.

my ps2 still works also bought in 2003 =D even after hours and hours 100 hrs+ per game and sometimes even 4 times <3

No, Samsung is just a supplier, PSP is Sony's product.  And at launch, they wouldn't allow returns for dead pixels, and didn't consider it a hardware defect ( dunno if that's changed now).  Nintendo meanwhile would let you get a new DS is you had even 1 dead pixel in your unit.  It really went to show the pretty stark differences between the companies when it comes to consumer support.

well for their TVs it's 3 pixels, and thats not quality, u said yourself consumer support... it's a built quality defect and it was it's samsung (which it's much worse than sony here).

you know there certain iso 9000 (forgot number so i will just use quality one) about dead pixels most manufacturers it's 3-5 dead pixels.

i have 5 on my vaio notebook they exchange the whole screen in less than a week so no problems with sony.

Dead pixels are going to be inherent in the manufacturing process no matter who makes them, at the end of the day Sony's the one who allowed screens with a certain number of dead pixels to go to market and refused to replace those units for unsatisfied customers.  I see that as a "quality" issue when their major competitor (Nintendo) wasn't doing the same.

that's why there are ISO, they don't allow, dead pixels appear even after use, and they will replace now if they go by the ISO.

and thats 3-5+ dead pixels, if they didn't get it fixed that was the problem.

and this is true FOR almost all top LCD panel manufacters, LG ,Phillips, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. etc

I'm just saying, in this particular market (dedicated gaming handhelds) Sony's dead pixel policy was out of the norm.  Gamers were pissed, and this was a legitimate issue around launch.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Did you question Sony's ability to manufacture a reliable console after both the PS1 (overheating and DRE) and PS2 (DRE) were unreliable. The PS3 is Sony's first reliable console.

1st run PSP-1000s also had the disc ejecting issue (and Sony's shitty dead pixel policy).  Sony actually had class action lawsuits against them for PS1 and PS2 though, *everyone* I knew with a pre-PSone PS1 had them stop playing FMV, had to turn them sideways and eventually they died anyway.  That happened with my 96 PS1, though my launch PS2 luckily never had any issues before I sold it and upgraded to a slim.

newer PSP and and ps3 are nice built, and sony panels are made by samsung. samsung have the shitty pixel policy ,i know i have deal with them with my TV.

my ps2 still works also bought in 2003 =D even after hours and hours 100 hrs+ per game and sometimes even 4 times <3

No, Samsung is just a supplier, PSP is Sony's product.  And at launch, they wouldn't allow returns for dead pixels, and didn't consider it a hardware defect ( dunno if that's changed now).  Nintendo meanwhile would let you get a new DS is you had even 1 dead pixel in your unit.  It really went to show the pretty stark differences between the companies when it comes to consumer support.

well for their TVs it's 3 pixels, and thats not quality, u said yourself consumer support... it's a built quality defect and it was it's samsung (which it's much worse than sony here).

you know there certain iso 9000 (forgot number so i will just use quality one) about dead pixels most manufacturers it's 3-5 dead pixels.

i have 5 on my vaio notebook they exchange the whole screen in less than a week so no problems with sony.

Dead pixels are going to be inherent in the manufacturing process no matter who makes them, at the end of the day Sony's the one who allowed screens with a certain number of dead pixels to go to market and refused to replace those units for unsatisfied customers.  I see that as a "quality" issue when their major competitor (Nintendo) wasn't doing the same.

that's why there are ISO, they don't allow, dead pixels appear even after use, and they will replace now if they go by the ISO.

and this is true FOR almost all top LCD panel manufacters, LG ,Phillips, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. etc

I'm just saying, in this particular market (dedicated gaming handhelds) Sony's dead pixel policy was out of the norm.  Gamers were pissed, and this was a legitimate issue around launch.

it's not, PSP/Walkman/Vaio are ruled by a iso 9000, they would get repair as long they are under it, and any device sony produces by LCD, i already told you if it have 3-5+ (depending on the device and size) it will get repaired, and that means exchanging the whole screen.

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:

it's not, PSP/Walkman/Vaio are ruled by the same iso 9000, they would get repair as long they are under it.

Walkman/Vaio aren't dedicated game handhelds.  DS, GBA, NGPC... those are.

And this was Sony policy in 2004/2005.  Again, it may have changed now and in fact considering Nintendo's more consumer friendly policy and utter market dominance, I'd be more surprised if Sony hadn't changed their policy.

jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:

it's not, PSP/Walkman/Vaio are ruled by the same iso 9000, they would get repair as long they are under it.

SO?! the PSP is and it falls under it. and the policy exist NOW for quite a while and it apply to all LCDs manufactures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:

SO?! the PSP is and it falls under it. and the policy exist NOW for quite a while and it apply to all LCDs manufactures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Awesome.  Too bad it evidently wasn't Sony's PSP policy at launch, which is what I've been talking about this entire time.

There was a big outcry, and at least initially, Sony's policy was that dead pixels weren't a defect.

Around the Network

Maybe he talking about a handheld device?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

All the slim speculation is warranted I guess. The PS has done better than almost all expectations.
MS are in a different position with a built in DVD. I just can't see them ever paying Sony for the rights to blu-ray so what are the alternatives? Straight Dig. Dist. won't fly yet if ever imo. Another attempt at a new tech? Nothing on the net yet. Decision time soon at M$.